HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Ohh shit!
That gaff has commercial sport boat written all over it,and the worst part about that is that there are probably witnesses LOL.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Anybody read this guys recent comment o_O

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Hartwell · Bowling Green State University
We were on the beach at the cove and witnessed this and it was not caused by an intentional act of a fisherman as has been speculated. The gaff was floating in the surf when a large wave came in and the gaff was wedged against a rock, and the sea lion was pushed by the wave against the end of the gaff. The gaff pole bent against the weight of the sea lion, and then he disappeared in the water. 2 other sea lions immediately went barking into the water from the beach as if they knew something bad had happened. We waited on the beach but never saw him come back out of the water, and we never saw him in the water. This took place at 7:45 am on Sunday morning, and he was rescued later that morning, so he only had been injured for a few hours before being rescued. Great work by Sea World to help this injured animal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
the news service reports are that it was intentional -by a fisherman, but they did not witness it...I can easily see how a sea lion coming in to ambush a hooked fish and gets in the way of the gaff....??fisherman, without an actual witness, who would have ever thought that was how the seal ended up with the gaff = wierd

Upvote 0

cj5orion

Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja
Jun 21, 2007
pacific beach/Gonzaga Bay
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
:appl:

"Sunday's rescue marks the third one Dr. Schmitt has seen with a gaff injury in just the past year and a half. He's also treated nine sea lions with gunshot wounds over that same time period -- two of which were euthanized last week"

:appl:

how the hell you guys sneakin a gun on the boat ?
I get stopped all the time n they check EVERYTHING !

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I HATE SEALS!!!
    We fishermen need to do more to not train the seals. They are big dogs with flippers. I bugs the living shit out of me to see boats feeding their left over bait to the seals at the launching ramp. Like a dog if you want to train them to do something give them a food reward.
    When they come around and you decide to leave and find another spot DO NOT throw your bait over the side, take it with you. Think about it the seal learns that if he comes and bugs the shit out of you he gets three or four nice deans thrown over the side.

When a seal grabs your yellow tail and you win the tug-o-war and get a mangled body back DO NOT toss it over the side. Take it with you and toss it later.

About 30 years ago we were in British Columbia and they had a rule that fishermen were allowed to protect their catch from seals. That meant you could shoot them if they were attempting to steal your catch. You could only use a shot gun to shoot them. Funny how the seals knew the range of a shotgun. They would not come within 200 yards of your boat. Although in a marina where you were not allowed to shoot them they would climb onto your swim step.

Reactions: KnotyBuoyz
    Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    how the hell you guys sneakin a gun on the boat ?
    I get stopped all the time n they check EVERYTHING ![/quote]

it is legal to have a gun on a boat in US waters... you just cant keep it loaded... its the same rules as when you have one in a car... just keep the ammo in a separate area and you are all good! I have been stopped many times with a gun onboard... if you are checked by home land/fish & game/ harbor police in the water just let them know ASAP that there is a gun aboard and don't do anything stupid and you will be fine... if asked about why tell them you are going out 12 miles to practice targeting... a watermelon is a good target.. biodegradable and if you get good hitting it from a boat you can hit just about anything on land!

Reactions: Steel Leader
    Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    I HATE SEALS!!!

About 30 years ago we were in British Columbia and they had a rule that fishermen were allowed to protect their catch from seals. That meant you could shoot them if they were attempting to steal your catch. You could only use a shot gun to shoot them. Funny how the seals knew the range of a shotgun. They would not come within 200 yards of your boat. Although in a marina where you were not allowed to shoot them they would climb onto your swim step.

yeah, they know when they're in the crosshairs...reminds me back in the 60's on the Seaforth boats when "Bud" would pull out the shotgun, the seals knew to dive when they saw it pointed at them, pow! -bb splashes all over...those were the days

Upvote 0

Steel Leader

Liquid Therapy
    Aug 29, 2005
    san diego
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    marcus
    Boat
    27' seastar flybridge diesel
    I seriously thought about using the back part of the gaff and WHACKING the damn dogs on the head, but never thought to actually gaff the dogs, I might lose my gaff.

Upvote 0

dingokevin

Aug 14, 2014
    Name
    Kevin Richard Meldrum
    Boat
    mine
    Went out of Dana the other day guy reeling in a small yt and decky goes to gaff and from under the boat here comes the sea lion and just missed taking it to the head.

Upvote 0

ray loftis

Fish Strong
    Apr 15, 2014
    El Cajon
    Name
    Ray Loftis
    Boat
    Any one I'm on is fine
    Last time out I kept Getting my catch chewed off by sea lions
    I never feed or encourage them
    They actually tick me off...