Who is the old sabre rod afficianado here? Help needed

fkallday

Dec 20, 2006
C.A.
Name
Thanos
Boat
A few
I have a chocolate 540 and another chocolate Sabre of some sort not sure on the numbers.... 9ft jig stick about the same action as the 540 just 9ft.... wondering what these go for is someone could let me know it would be a great help thanks!

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
My first thought was 665XX.
The color is off but that can happen with rewraps.
But the Reel seat and color of blank says China Sabre .
Just my thought, I'm wrong often .

Mtnfshr

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
My first thought was 665XX.
The color is off but that can happen with rewraps.
But the Reel seat and color of blank says China Sabre .
Just my thought, I'm wrong often .
I recall Stuart in Florida making reel seats for California Tackle like those. The knurling on the locking nuts appears to be different though. I may still have one or two tucked away in storage. I vaguely recall selling one or two on eBay years ago.
Lighting may have the glass looking darker and looking like the Penn Sabres from wherever. The font of the line rating decal appears to be a match for the originals from California Tackle.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
I'm guessing it's a 655H cut a little...I did one or two when customers wanted a "Butch Green" Sabre rods for tuna, on the Newell charters.

Reactions: Cubeye

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
I remember many guys asking for old honey Sabres, or they liked fishing them. I have 6 I got in recently. A 660, 3-665's two are H's, one a "Stroker" an 820(ohh yeah,SOLD) and 655XH. I'm stripping all these now. And I got a black 270-7 all murdered black deckhand, pretty sure it's a Sabre, maybe an early Seeker...just needs new cork tape or twine. getting them ready for next season, or rock codding.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
It's a cut 665 or 660. Bigger tip brings it to 30-80lb. Butch Green-Carl Newell super short Tuna sticks days!!

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Could also be a "teaser" rod, or a kite rod. If I'm correct.... they may have cut both top and bottom to achieve desired stiffness for those jobs. As for Carl Newell.... got to try his "shorties" on a 7 day with him. Also did an 11 day.... Nov trip with him. First one to the R.G. In the day. We had a great trips. Miss Carl much!

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
I recently had 3 of the old Sabre 5'6" rods re-finished for Baja Panga fishing. I fish them with my small Torsas and Trinis 20s.

The old glass rods are more forgiving and put a lot less stress on my old arthritic hands, wrists, arms.

The short rods travel a lot easier and give the angler a mechanical advantage over long rods.

You don't do a lot of "long casting" when fishing Panga fishing so long rods have little advantage.

Most of the Pangas have low bimini tops so the short rod is more maneuverable on the boat.

And, maybe most important, if you have a few tequillas and beers after fishing, you are far less likely to stick a short rod in the ceiling fan in your room. A buddy of mine unintentionally "shortened" two of his 7' rods the first night at Las Arenas in the old days. He spent the rest of the trip fishing his shortened rods (I always carry a box of assorted tips and tip glue) and did just fine except for a horrendous hangover.

Anybody who has any old Sabre or Calstar short glass rods and wants to dump them, please give me a shout out.

Really old guy, Styx.

Pardon bold face but I am going through some nasty vision problems and the bold face is just easier to deal with.

Reactions: woodfish330

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I'm guessing it's a 655H cut a little...I did one or two when customers wanted a "Butch Green" Sabre rods for tuna, on the Newell charters.
I'm thinking the same. My rods in that era were 4'11". Cut down from a
5 1/2' blank.