Fish Asassin

one cast = one kill
May 16, 2012
San Diego / Baja
Name
Fred Garvin
Boat
U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
" those guys" strech out and sleep in the galley so there is nowhere to sit. If you want to lay down, go to your bunk.

Reactions: fishstomp
Upvote 0

Creed

Nov 13, 2012
Coral Gables, FL
Name
Richard
Boat
Everglades 275
I saw "that guy" on a 5-day trip -- he complained to the captain that we were catching too many albies, so we left a hot bite and never had a chance to get in to the bluefin. He sealed his fate with the crew when he whipped out his bait knife and started to cut sardines on the rail. He was "that guy".

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
I like THAT GIRL way more than THAT GUY.:D

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I like THAT GIRL way more than THAT GUY.:D

I looked up Marlo Thomas' bio on Wikipedia and she had a relationship with David Geffen. I met David Geffen. Sat with him at lunch at a Banker's meeting for the original DreamWorks SKG financing (I passed on it). Geffen is as gay as they come, which means Marlo probably took it like a gay dude. Poor girl. Father was Armenian, mother was Sicilian. Those beautiful Italian brunettes have a soft spot with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
I saw "that guy" on a 5-day trip -- he complained to the captain that we were catching too many albies, so we left a hot bite and never had a chance to get in to the bluefin. He sealed his fate with the crew when he whipped out his bait knife and started to cut sardines on the rail. He was "that guy".

Sounds like the captain on that trip was "that guy" for listening to just "that guy" and leaving a hot bite...

Reactions: Bondrvr
Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
you will not be that guy your new at the rail and already asking how not to be that guy there's so many good people that fish with lots of info just listen skip the 3 day go on a 5 welcome to so cal

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Long range boat on a tuna trip with a dozen or so guys on the stern of the anchored boat, fly lining sardines. The boat is swinging on the hook but everybody is doing it right, over,under, keeping their lines in front of them. "That Guy" is the tool that steps into the middle of the stern, pitches out a mackerel and stands there for 45 seconds, stripping spectra from his reel into loose coils on the water. When the inevitable happens and the clown wraps up half the boat into a gigantic spectra cluster fuck, he wonders why everybody is all pissed off. :idiot:

This particular TG has a lot of relatives. I met one of his cousins, a seemingly respectable character, smart fellow. But he has an enormous ego, and thinks that the standard rail rules don't apply to him. So while everyone else is working together, dropping in on the side & working back & around the stern, he just elbows into the middle of the stern, drops in over other lines, and causes tangles..... then acts all innocent..... like someone who broke wind but tries to play dumb & deny it.

Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
"That guy" tries to cut in line.... On the dock before we even board. Then whines to the captain that he can't get a good tackle box spot because too many other people came earlier than him.

Upvote 0

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
I was on a trip 15 or so years ago. This guy has 10 beautiful matching rods, with 10 brand new nice reels, and one hot girlfriend who fished maybe 1 hour during the entire 5 day trip. Was a complete know-it-all, blah, blah, blah. We killed the albies, BFT, and this musician Bennett catches this beautiful Bigeye, something like 80 pounds..

Back at landing, we haul all our fish up the ramp, spread them out, and Bennett doesn't see his Bigeye, until he nears the scale and there is "that guy", with "Ms. Thing", having their pictures taken with Bennett's Bigeye.

Upvote 0

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
I was on a 15 day in November and there was a lighter that was sitting on the rack...it was "light blue". That guy came out of the salon asking where his lighter went. There were 6 or so of us using it from time to time, but it usually made it back on the rack. Well...this time it didn't. He proceeded to rant about how someone stole his lighter and he needed it...yada yada yada. It just happened to be my kite rotation and I am leaning on the rail and he came up to me to blame me for stealing his lighter. I told him I have a lighter and he can have it...I took it out and tried to give it to him and he said "THAT ISN'T LIGHT BLUE!" and steamed off back into the salon. Needless to say the entire boat began to laugh...my buddy actually had it in his pocket. He didn't steal it he just forgot and put it in his pocket. The captain told my buddy to shove it up "that guys" ass. HAAAA!!! He was also the one loved to peeeeeel line off his reel when we were all fishing and you know how that ends up. Anyhow...that is one "that guy" story.

Just pay attention, have a good attitude and have fun...you probably will NOT be that guy.

Wow, pay $6K plus, to be on a 100 ft. long platform for two weeks straight with a guy with his undies in a bunch over a lighter? Hmmm... even so, Philligan has the correct attitude!

Upvote 0

AZTunaBaron

Aug 11, 2010
Phx,AZ for the time being
Name
Baron was my dog
Boat
Someday
"That guy" does not know he is "that guy", so you're already doing something right.

Just a suggestion, maybe reconsider jumping from overniters to 3day'ers. That is unless money is not an issue in your life. There are times when all of a sudden you've done all your homework, the past two weeks were incredible and the next two weeks are really good, but your trip ends up being the 3day'r where the fish get lock jaw, finicky, line shy, weather gets up or some other act of god gives you lemons.

1.5 & 2.5'rs are good to go, full day(s) of fishing. I've found (ymmv) day 2 morning can often be a boat ride.

I have found afternoons/sundown are much more productive.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
TG moves his tackle box in front of yours, when asked why, he states 'so'
TG hasn't caught a big tuna, so he tells everyone what a lousy boat, lousy crew, lousy food, lousy fishing etc.
TG catches a wahoo on the kite and wants to go again because he didn't catch a tuna
TG flies off the handle and wants to deck the cook because he is vaccuming the galley after breakfast and he is watching tv
TG jumps in front on you at the bait tank
TG chases all the bait around in the tank damaging all the bait instead of waiting for one to swim into his hand
TG doesn't flush the toilet and leaves the heads a mess
TG casts over your head and hits you in the head with his reel stating other tuna are following mine
TG is in every tangle on the boat
TG drops in line into the middle of anglers instead of starting at the end of the row
TG leaves his rod in the trash can
TG is always drunk
TG in the middle of the night is on the back deck hollering 'help' and then when the crew runs to aid, he wants a light as he left his lighter in the room
TG = ASS

Upvote 0
May 19, 2014
Name
Sean
Boat
Only charters for now
TG moves his tackle box in front of yours, when asked why, he states 'so'
TG hasn't caught a big tuna, so he tells everyone what a lousy boat, lousy crew, lousy food, lousy fishing etc.
TG catches a wahoo on the kite and wants to go again because he didn't catch a tuna
TG flies off the handle and wants to deck the cook because he is vaccuming the galley after breakfast and he is watching tv
TG jumps in front on you at the bait tank
TG chases all the bait around in the tank damaging all the bait instead of waiting for one to swim into his hand
TG doesn't flush the toilet and leaves the heads a mess
TG casts over your head and hits you in the head with his reel stating other tuna are following mine
TG is in every tangle on the boat
TG drops in line into the middle of anglers instead of starting at the end of the row
TG leaves his rod in the trash can
TG is always drunk
TG in the middle of the night is on the back deck hollering 'help' and then when the crew runs to aid, he wants a light as he left his lighter in the room
TG = ASS

That was funny.

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
There is the New Guy, who admits that he doesn't know everything about fishing LR, and wants to learn...

And there is That Guy, who knows everything about LR fishing, and has "been there, done that"...

Since you, as a New Guy, started this thread hoping never to become That Guy...

I seriously doubt that you will ever be That Guy.

Listen closely to the skipper and crew, soak in the knowledge of those knowledgeable fisherman around you, figure out who and what situations to avoid, keep in touch with your bait, keep your line straight out in front of you, and you'll do fine. Welcome to the addiction!

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
T. Guy snuck up behind me and cast his Senator into my ear on a tuna stop. His well-fed cousin of the same last name went into my bag to use the shrimp I brought for sheephead. Their uncle bounced a 4lb sculpin about 16" away from my right eyeball.

Reactions: jerryl
Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Don't be "that guy" who rifled through my duffle bag and stole the batteries out of my Fleshlight. :mad:

Reactions: Pachodie
Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I really can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect I have been "that guy" a few times in my career. I imagine that at some point everyone here (and who has posted in this thread) has had a "that guy" moment.

The thing is, my best definition of that guy is someone who is somehow ruining everyone else's day, whether for two minutes or an entire trip. Part of it has to do with making mistakes out of inexperience and/or ignorance. The bigger part (to me) is simply not learning from the mistakes one makes.

I will give you all an example of a time when I know I was that guy, if only for a few minutes. My first ever trip on Excel was a Team Hoo 15-day trip. Now that is one of the nicest groups (as a whole) that you will ever meet, and I was very fortunate to get a spot. At that time, there were a few people from the East Coast on that trip too, and it was an interesting, raucous crowd. Frankly a lot of fun. But for me two things didn't go all that well. First is that I got quite sick. I must have had the bug when I got on board, but didn't find out about it until the second day out. I spent the entire trip coughing my lungs out. The second is that, even though at the end of the day I caught quite a few tuna (and 10+ wahoo), all of my tuna were in the "meh" range...80-100lbs, with a few 60s in there. I think my best fish the entire trip was maybe 120lbs. Meanwhile, the boat was just killing it. The average grade (for everyone else) was 140-180, and I guess we came back home with eight or so cows, and another dozen in the 180-199 range. It was such epic fishing that we plugged the boat and came home a day early.

So we've been at Hurricane for four days, I guess, and things are just not going well for me. I've probably caught 12 tuna, but I've only tagged a couple, and given the rest for chunks or released them. The last day or so, I am suddenly as cold as ice. The bite has only slowed down a little bit, but I can't get bit at all. Worse, I have started having the "dropsies" at the bait tank: scoop out a bait, move to pin it on, and watch in total astonishment as the sardine that I picked out oh-so-carefully squirts through my fingers and lands on top of the bait station. After two "squirts" in a row, I back off, let the people behind me in line bait up, and then try again. I swear, there were times when I wasted 6 or 7 baits, just to get one in the water.

All of this is very personal, and everyone has had times like that. Honestly, I was more bemused than frustrated, but frustration was definitely kicking in. And then I did it. I got a bait out, and it started swimming away from the boat. Since the current had slacked off, this was good news. Then it started swimming parallel across the stern...not back under the boat (I had had plenty of those already), but I needed to follow my bait across to the corner to keep from causing a tangle, so I bent myself over the rail, and person by person, I started going under the other lines there, all of which were farther out from the boat. I confess, I was in a total haze. Might have had a low-grade fever, but in any case was absolutely in a universe of my own.

And then J.B. Beck gave me an NHL-worthy shoulder check.

You know what? J.B. is a super nice guy (as is his father). There is just no WAY he would ever do that, and it brought me up short, both physically and in terms of situational awareness. "What the...?"

And then I realized: I hadn't been saying a word. Not even a mumbled "coming under you." Somehow, in my distracted state, I managed to delude myself that I could squeeze my svelte 280lb (at the time) frame between other anglers and the rail. Maybe by bending (what? maybe 6 degrees?) over the rail, I thought I was making myself skinny? Nope, I was just plowing through people, trying to follow my bait.

I have no excuse. I knew better before then. My state of mind is not an adequate reason. All I needed to do was open my mouth and be a little patient...but I wanted to follow that bait and I was praying it would head out away from the boat.

I will tell you something now. I was (and am) totally embarrassed about my ridiculous incompetence at the bait tank, but that didn't make me "that guy." When I dumped a bait on the deck, I got out of line and let the others go ahead. But I am absolutely ashamed of myself that I could literally be hitting other anglers like a bowling ball, and never even realize it. In that moment, I was totally that guy, and when I realized it, I was crushed. I popped my bait off the hook, wound in, and gave myself a good timeout. To his credit, J.B. wasn't mad (as I already said, he's a really nice guy), and he said that wasn't any reason for me to stop fishing...I just needed to be more aware of my surroundings. But I think I did the right thing. I needed to completely re-focus, and trying to navigate the stern wasn't going to be the way to do it. Not for a few minutes, anyway.

Ever since then, I like to think I am more aware of what I am doing. I also worry that there are things I am doing that I never realize are bothering other anglers. So I try very hard to pay attention. I think that's all you can really do.

Anyway, a long story, but that's my take on what makes "that guy." Short conclusion: make sure that YOU aren't doing anything to ruin anyone else's fishing. If you suspect that you are, take a step back, and stop doing it. The real and true "that guy" never stops, never considers, never wonders. Most of all, "that guy" never worries that he might be "that guy."

If you care enough to worry about it, you won't be. You will unavoidably step on some toes, sure, and do some stupid things, and maybe won't realize you're doing it until someone points it out to you. But if you learn from those "Oh, I didn't realize..." moments, you aren't "that guy."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
that guy will cast out without looking back and almost hooking you.
that guy will cut in on the rotation
Lol, I actually had a seasoned deck hand nearly hit me in the head with a yoyo jig. He apologized though, and I knew it was an accident so I didn't get mad or anything. Just glad it didn't actually hit me.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Fish wth the masses and you take your chances. Run your own boat and you'll spend a lot of time culling guests to avoid TG. It's one of many reasons why people run their own boats. The old Golden Rule: He who has the Gold, makes the rules.

Upvote 0