Who has better cell phone coverage off shore and around Catalina?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by TheMan90241, Dec 19, 2018.

1. TheMan90241

TheMan90241 Member

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Seaswirl Striper 2301 W/A
    I have an opportunity to save some money and switch carriers from Verizon to AT&T. I have always been with Verizon because they have always had superior network coverage. From what I can see now, AT&T isn't too far behind. When I run out of Dana Point, I lose cell phone service about 8 or 10 miles off shore. When I run out of Long Beach to Catalina, I have service for 95% of the crossing, but only get data coverage within about 8-10 miles of each land mass. Around Catalina, I typically have coverage around Avalon and Isthmus on the front and in a larger area around Cat Harbor on the back.

My question is, who's coverage is better working around Catalina and offshore between Cat and San Diego? Those of you with AT&T, how far off shore are you getting service and data? This conversation is not about if I should get a satellite phone or not. I will not be purchasing a satellite phone, I am only considering changing cell phone carriers based on off shore coverage. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    coast guard

3. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    I have ATT and get signal about 10 miles out from Alamitos bay and then again about 4 to 5 miles from Avalon

4. dctrjayyy

dctrjayyy Member

Name:
    Joshua
    Boat:
    whaler
    verizon is pretty good at SCI now

5. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    At&T works out there too

6. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    AT&T

7. dcarlisle

dcarlisle Captain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    33' custom
    I live in Catalina and operated charter boats all around the Island and just switched from Att to Verizon. The ATT towers are just too overloaded in Avalon. In the past, ATT was best in Avalon, but Verizon was always better up and down the coast. Now ATT is just garbage in town to the point that on cruise ship days I often can’t even get a text out.
    Verizon isn’t perfect either, but so far a hell of a lot better.
    I have noticed that on the ferry ride from LB to Avalon, I lose and gain signal in roughly the same areas.
    I can’t speak for the other Islands.
    Also, there is already an exhaustive thread on this topic.

8. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Everything is second to Verizon.

9. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Have Verizon, coverage is more solid than I expect most of the time. Lose it about 11 miles out of Long Beach going to Catalina but gain it back a few more miles towards Catalina. Have coverage most places front side but lose it back side when blocked by rocks. No coverage in San Clemente island crossing but surprisingly have it at the island itself in many places. Make it feel more safe but of course not a substitute for emergency communication equipment since cell phone dies moment it hits the water.

10. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I have an ATT Mexico plan and can get a signal at the 425. Never tried it at SCI. ATT towers start 9-11 miles off shore from mission bay down the line. I also get signal at the nados.

11. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I had Sprint for like 12-13 years and recently decided to change carriers partly for the same reason, I wanted better offshore coverage and in remote areas.

I thought long and hard about Verizon and Att. Ended up going with Verizon because Verizon seemed to have better coverage and it was also because they seemed to have a lot better customer service than att.

12. Steveo77

Steveo77 Steveo77

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Grumpy
    I have both.
    Work phone is ATT&T. Personal is VERIZON.
    I keep them both with me everywhere I go (including fishing) and I’ll say first hand that Verizon kicks the shit outta AT&T. I listen to Pandora when I’m fishing and I lose the station a lot more around the island with the AT&T phone.
    There is times I have to hot spot my work phone to my personal so I can send emails and text messages.

13. pugz

pugz Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Mine
    I had ATT and my uncle had Verizon while out at sci he had better coverage and he was able to surf the web and call tech support for an issue while out off the backside east end of sci; while I had shitty spotty useless coverage from ATT . Due to this I switched to Verizon ASAP. If there was a safety issue being able to call or send a text back home to say we are extending our trip or staying out at the island due to bad weather was a no brainer for me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018