Who grew up fishing Islandia sportfishing? If this rod could talk! Just looking for stories!

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Anybody fish these rentals back in the day? It's a sabre 670 from 1979! I'm interested in hearing if anybody else has stories of the good old days fishing these colors. I know their fleet was very different at that time. Great captains great fishing! Hopping to jolt some memories out of anyone who had the pleaser of renting one of these classics. Either conventional or spinner!
*did anyone start their saltwater fishing addiction with one of these rentals in your hands?

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I've still got a 670 h sabre from a little earlier than that. The glass is so we'll worn the it isn't a "h" anymore and I still bring it every trip...just three months ago it whipped a 70 lb bft like it was new.
The best two features are I wrapped it my self and it has never had a butt cap on it so if you rest it on the rail the butt end has worn to match that angle from just the rocking back and forth as the boat moves ..I'd take a few pics but I'm 1200 miles away from it right now.
I'd keep it over any of the 20 plus rods I bring on different trips.
It was and still is a good jig rod..30/40 lb bait rod.

Upvote 0

MRC70

• Oct 31, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Name
    MRC
    Boat
    not yet
    I fished Islandia many times as a kid. However, I used my own gear..

Sabre Californian 1970C with a Squidder 146
    Sabre Stroker 6710C with a Newell P-229-F

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    I fished Islandia many times as a kid. However, I used my own gear..

Sabre Californian 1970C with a Squidder 146
    Sabre Stroker 6710C with a Newell P-229-F
    I started at islandia with that exact same combo! The sabre 1970c and my squider 146. It was a gift from my neighbor who used to take his sons and I out fishing over summer! Back when catching mackerel was EXCITING! And I could hardly see over the rail. I've still got the combo and just stripped my 197 down to get rewrapped! In hopes of passing it down.

Reactions: MRC70 and kbray001

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Weird, I dont remember them having spinning rental rods.

Reactions: smokinwater
    SMYLEE
    SMYLEE
    From my understanding you had to ask for one. There wasn't that many left handed options back in the day. And they only had a few made up. For lefties,kids,the ladies.. etc ect

I said the same thing when I saw it. The guy I was trading bought it straight from them when they phased them out, for all conventional rod
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Talk about reminiscing. Islandia's half day fishing boats were a pair of large cats. They were fast. I think they ended up being Catalina express rides.
    The speed twin...
    My first ever half day trip on that boat was epic...over 300 yellow tail mostly on squid and my Mitchell 300 with 15 pound line..I got six

Upvote 0

finfan

Almost A Member
    Aug 2, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    STEVEN
    Boat
    32' Blackfin FB
    My buddies where deckhands out of Islandia during the summer, mid 70's. The half day was mostly tourists, I would deadhead and enter the jackpot and give it back to the crew when I won. Back then it was straight anchovie, didnt know what a sardine was, got good at casting. Bonito fishing was off the hook....
    They also ran the Speed Twin to the Islands
    Fished the Faith to the sixty for rock cod when there was only Loran. Missed the 60 mile bank once, overshot it....
    In the fall the overnight boats went to La Jolla and made a tank of squid and then went to the islands to fish yellowtail, epic fishing some days.......

Reactions: Ratshirt and SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    My buddies where deckhands out of Islandia during the summer, mid 70's. The half day was mostly tourists, I would deadhead and enter the jackpot and give it back to the crew when I won. Back then it was straight anchovie, didnt know what a sardine was, got good at casting. Bonito fishing was off the hook....
    They also ran the Speed Twin to the Islands
    Fished the Faith to the sixty for rock cod when there was only Loran. Missed the 60 mile bank once, overshot it....
    In the fall the overnight boats went to La Jolla and made a tank of squid and then went to the islands to fish yellowtail, epic fishing some days.......
    This stuff is gold! And honestly soon to be lost. It only lives on in our memories as it seems

Upvote 0

asdffish

Jun 27, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Meg
    Islandia sportfishing 1973
    crew Jack Raider Mike Keating John Kirkpatrick Danny Caufiel Jay Ackerstein
    We had a lot of fun

Reactions: SMYLEE and Ratshirt
    SMYLEE
    SMYLEE
    Is this your rod John? It's got "Kirk 79" or "KiK 79" etched/ dremalled into the chrome varmac reel seat. I will know the exact spelling when I get home!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0