eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
I wear em on the way home usually... cant wait to take boots off... Ive had a pair of Olukai "Ohanas" for a few years... non-skid... they work great...

Reactions: eDUBz
Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
Olukai,
Most comfortable and long lasting, I get years out of them.
I know I'm dumb but I have been wearing only sandals on boats for decades without any major issues other than dock disease.

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    Reef Fanning Bottle Opener and Olukai Ohana are great sandals. The Olukai are the most comfortable and durable. They last about 2-3 years and I wear them almost everyday. The soles are great and has good grip even on a wet deck.

Avoid the Keen Newport sandals. They are okay for hiking, but the damn soles are slippery on a wet deck. Those shoes will kill you on a boat. I had to take them off and go barefoot that day. I will never wear them again on a boat. I only wear sandals on private boats. On cattle boats, the LaCrosse shoes are the most comfortable for me. Shimano Evair deck boots are nice too, but the LaCrosse is still better in my opinion.
    I’ve had the reefs before they didn’t last, I’ll check the olukai out

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I wore flip-flips…till I got the nail on my big toe ripped off in a corner scrum while fighting a large YF down at the Hurricane Bank. Never going without proper footwear again.
    View attachment 1301806
    Nailed it!!!
    9CEC06D2-6793-4091-9556-F38778EBBDBE.jpeg

Upvote 0

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    I hate shoes, and I’m not getting Xtratufs - I never lose my sandal tan line it’s there 365 😂 what are some of the best Sandals to wear on the sport boats ?
    Xtra tuff sandals

Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Pomona
    Name
    Javier
    Boat
    Skippy 24 Fly
    I hate shoes, and I’m not getting Xtratufs - I never lose my sandal tan line it’s there 365 😂 what are some of the best Sandals to wear on the sport boats ?

I too have Flintstone feet. Can’t wear deck boots as I will definitely break out in athletes foot. These have been really good for me!!

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Keen Newport's, that is almost all I wear, except in wahoo country. I bring 2 pairs so I always have a dry pair. They freaking last forever.

Reactions: eDUBz and Steve K
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Keen Newport's, that is almost all I wear, except in wahoo country. I bring 2 pairs so I always have a dry pair. They freaking last forever.
    Same here, wearing thin short socks keeps them from rubbing up a red spot. One pair for dry floors/decks, one for wet decks, even when fishing Wahoo.

And, anybody who thinks that thin rubber used for the uppers of your Xtra Tuffs makes them bulletproof…

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I too have Flintstone feet and the only time I wear anything other than thongs is when I work at customer sites. I currently don't own a pair of shoes - just boots.

Olukias and Rainbows are certainly good choices if you don't mind the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I have a couple pairs of Reefs that have been great. Two things that have impressed me. First is the grip - bloody, slimy, wet decks are no problem. Even very good on ice. Probably the best grip of any thongs I have ever had. Second thing is how they wear. Again close to if not the best ever. They are over a year old and still look OK and have lots of life left. Likely will get trashed due to looks before they wear out.

Bonus with them was the price. On sale for $24.

As for getting your feet hurt its the same as any other appendage. Watch what you are doing and its not a problem.
    I started wearing Rainbows when they were $18 a pair... Now I cant settle for less.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I’ve had the reefs before they didn’t last, I’ll check the olukai out

My reefs last about 1-2 years. Olukai is a little better at 2-3 years, but they all wear out eventually. The middle strap is the part that usually breaks. Since all the stress and load is on that one part, that is the first to go. I honestly think its due to how you walk with them. For me, it seems like the right side gets more pressure and stress because its always the right side that goes bad first. I kept the good remaining shoe as a backup, but after about 4 left shoes, I dumped them all.

You definitely need to try an Olukai. Damn its comfortable! The first time I tried it, I stopped buying the Reefs. It was that good. I still had a new pair or Reef back then as a backup and I'm still using it after 2 years. I wear it daily so it gets used and abused. The bottom of my Reefs are down to almost nothing now. Once it goes to shoe heaven, I'm back to the Olukai.

Upvote 0

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Name
    Joe Ski
    Boat
    19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
    Don't be a wuss... Its only a toe nail. LOL

I had a cinder block drop on my big toe a few weeks ago and the nail came off. Six months from now, I will have a spanking new toenail.
    Just think, you have 19 opportunities to grow a whole set! Let me know how that works out for you....

Upvote 0

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
    City of Orange
    Name
    Bayron
    Boat
    I Wish I had 1
    Sandals all day every day. Rainbow hemp sandals are the best.

On local island trips I wear speedo dock shoes. Light nonslip and comfortable without socks. Quick drying too.

Long range or any trip with Tuna deck boots all day and my good ole trusty rainbow hemp sandals on the ride home.

Fyi if your deck boots aren't comfortable for all day use then most likely they're too small. Get a larger size.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Save your feet! I need custom inserts and I just use my old pair of New Balance. Yes they get wet but I choose no pain.

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    I wear Sandalman sandals on my boat, they are the best fitting and extremely durable. Hand crafted in Newport Beach since 1976. I have "Fred Flintstone" feet, my sandals are custom fitted and last for years.
    I’ll have to check them out - how’s the grip on the deck ?

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    Sandals all day every day. Rainbow hemp sandals are the best.

On local island trips I wear speedo dock shoes. Light nonslip and comfortable without socks. Quick drying too.

Long range or any trip with Tuna deck boots all day and my good ole trusty rainbow hemp sandals on the ride home.

Fyi if your deck boots aren't comfortable for all day use then most likely they're too small. Get a larger size.
    The Speedo dock shoes look nice and fairly cheap at $29 🤔

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks
    Reef Fanning Bottle Opener and Olukai Ohana are great sandals. The Olukai are the most comfortable and durable. They last about 2-3 years and I wear them almost everyday. The soles are great and has good grip even on a wet deck.

Avoid the Keen Newport sandals. They are okay for hiking, but the damn soles are slippery on a wet deck. Those shoes will kill you on a boat. I had to take them off and go barefoot that day. I will never wear them again on a boat. I only wear sandals on private boats. On cattle boats, the LaCrosse shoes are the most comfortable for me. Shimano Evair deck boots are nice too, but the LaCrosse is still better in my opinion.
    Thanks for the heads up! The olukai looks nice and the website says the out sole designs enhance traction on wet surfaces 🤔

Upvote 0

eDUBz

• Feb 9, 2009
    Inland empire
    Name
    Ricky
    Boat
    4 kayaks

I too have Flintstone feet. Can’t wear deck boots as I will definitely break out in athletes foot. These have been really good for me!!
    Those Grundens look sweet. I’ll add them to the list, still debating on what I should get. Thanks for the link, they have a lot of great reviews

Reactions: javierlopez123
    Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I’ll have to check them out - how’s the grip on the deck ?
    Great traction on deck (non-skid), slimy or frosty docks can be challenging. Sandalman offers a selection of materials to choose from. The owners are really cool, it is worth a trip to check the store/factory, you can watch them make sandals, including a pair custom fit to your feet.

I wore Reef for many years, they were comfortable but did not last. My current pair are about 5 years old and going strong.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    I wear Xtratuffs nearly all the time, but when it’s hot and I feel safe (like in my boat and we’re just bassing) I break out the Columbia flip flops. These have really good padding and traction.

Sport boat or if I’m crewing? Xtratuffs all the way.

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Vagbond
    If I'm wearing shorts, I'm usually barefoot. I just try to stay aware of what's going on around me - not a bad thing to do in any case....

Upvote 0