Who else is looking forward to new rockfish spots?

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
Sep 8, 2012
United States
Name
Jeremy Rodda
Boat
15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
Not sure how well circulated this fact is around here, but there was a recent distinction of a new species called the Sunset Rockfish that looks basically identical to Vermillion Rockfish. The only seemingly usable distinguishing factor for the species (outside of genetic testing) is that the adult sunsets tend to hang out deeper than 300ft, while the vermillions hang out in less than 300ft. Sunset rockfish are not named in that 5 fish limit.

So if you wanna fish your 100 fathom reef and catch your 10 reds and make your warden genetically sample your fillets to prove whether or not you're guilty, have at it this year before they catch up to that ridiculous loophole. And cross your fingers that none of your reds are vermillions that happened to be day tripping to deep water.

I'll be trying that deep water. Honestly don't need 10 reds' worth of meat though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
Sep 8, 2012
United States
Name
Jeremy Rodda
Boat
15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
Decided to approximate those coordinates on Google Earth to make the 100 fathom line for my locale.

Santa Barbara Coast:

50941644962_86007e6734_o.png

Ventura/Malibu Coast:

50940844548_ebbb748921_o.png

What an agonizing exercise...somebody else do a few.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
May 21, 2008
San Luis Obispo
Name
Nick
Boat
Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
The 100 fathom max limit is only for the SoCal management area. Other areas to the north have much shallower max depth restrictions:

- Mendocino Management Area is 30 fathoms
- San Francisco Management Area is 50 fathoms

Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2011
Pasadena
Name
Shin
Boat
Triton 240 LTS
Decided to approximate those coordinates on Google Earth to make the 100 fathom line for my locale.

What an agonizing exercise...somebody else do a few.

Here's the contours for the areas I fish most often. The inner line is 60, middle line is 75, outer line is 100.

Fathom lines Long Beach.png
Fathom lines PV.png

If anyone wants, I'm happy to send these .gpx files.

Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2011
Pasadena
Name
Shin
Boat
Triton 240 LTS
So if you wanna fish your 100 fathom reef and catch your 10 reds and make your warden genetically sample your fillets to prove whether or not you're guilty, have at it this year before they catch up to that ridiculous loophole. And cross your fingers that none of your reds are vermillions that happened to be day tripping to deep water.

Seems more likely that they'll just write you the citation, and have YOU prove that they're not all vermillions.

Upvote 0

sasabune

Jan 5, 2009
LA
Name
David
Boat
20 Ft Dory
Here's the contours for the areas I fish most often. The inner line is 60, middle line is 75, outer line is 100.

View attachment 1255245View attachment 1255246
If anyone wants, I'm happy to send these .gpx files.
Thanks for sharing, Can you confirm we can fish over 600 ft in the Redondo Canyon since its within the 100 fathom line?

Also, do you prefer fishing the SM bay or south of Long Beach for rockfish?

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
Dont matter much to me right now as my FF barely can make resolution at 300' to see whats down there... Dont have the $$ to upgrade that yet.

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Fished on the Victory out of LB Tuesday, March 2nd with @LBSICKCHILD and my buddy Goose. I was psyched to fish a new zone that hadn't been pressured for a long time.

Conditions were amazing. Sunshine was out, barely any wind, and just a tad bumpier than glass until after noon.

We dropped in what had to be a zone that just opened up because the 12oz weight took forever to get down, a few minutes at least.

It took a few stops to find the right honey hole but when we did, it went wide open on big reds. Solid grade Reds all around with several guys/gals bagging much bigger Reds (apprx. 7lbs).

I caught my limit of Reds on 3 or 4 drifts and would have easily caught twice that much if I wasn't tangled on nearly every drop. 🤪

At one point, I hooked into a super heavy one that had to be a double (used a two hook dropper loop which is why I was tangled so much) and was feeling strong handshakes all the way up. This thing was really heavy...I even dropped into 2nd gear half way up.

My mind was racing because in my experience Rockfish don't fight, so my imagination was going 100 mph. Swear to God my thoughts alternated between thinking that I had a nice YT or Halibut on.

I put the wood to that heavy fucker (in low gear like a lil bitch) and finally get him to color... and I have a nice sized red (not huge) with a tangle from a guy on the other side of the boat too. I laughed out loud realizing what I thought were headshakes was actually the poor guy on the other side of the boat trying to gain line.

I chuckled more than once after that imagining what the hell he must have been thinking when his
    big headshaking "fish" was taking all that drag. I was just a little embarrassed to let my imagination run like that but also thankful I didn't announce to "Get the Gaff...cuz I got the Right Kind!!"

One of the reasons I love salt water fishing... you never know what your gonna catch.

I'm not gonna BS... I was wore out after every drop..even the ones where I was just grinding up the weight. I fish private boats almost exclusively and I think it is totally worth the effort to drop in a new deeper zone, catch 5 big Reds in 5 drops and then go on to fish for something more shallow. Not something I want to do all day again.

Get out there and catch some nice fat Reds before the spots get too much pressure.

20210302_113330.jpg

FE06B2F0-1.jpg

20210302_135820.jpg

20210302_145821.jpg

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Fished on the Victory out of LB Tuesday, March 2nd with @LBSICKCHILD and my buddy Goose. I was psyched to fish a new zone that hadn't been pressured for a long time.

Conditions were amazing. Sunshine was out, barely any wind, and just a tad bumpier than glass until after noon.

We dropped in what had to be a zone that just opened up because the 12oz weight took forever to get down, a few minutes at least.

It took a few stops to find the right honey hole but when we did, it went wide open on big reds. Solid grade Reds all around with several guys/gals bagging much bigger Reds (apprx. 7lbs).

I caught my limit of Reds on 3 or 4 drifts and would have easily caught twice that much if I wasn't tangled on nearly every drop. 🤪

At one point, I hooked into a super heavy one that had to be a double (used a two hook dropper loop which is why I was tangled so much) and was feeling strong handshakes all the way up. This thing was really heavy...I even dropped into 2nd gear half way up.

My mind was racing because in my experience Rockfish don't fight, so my imagination was going 100 mph. Swear to God my thoughts alternated between thinking that I had a nice YT or Halibut on.

I put the wood to that heavy fucker (in low gear like a lil bitch) and finally get him to color... and I have a nice sized red (not huge) with a tangle from a guy on the other side of the boat too. I laughed out loud realizing what I thought were headshakes was actually the poor guy on the other side of the boat trying to gain line.

I chuckled more than once after that imagining what the hell he must have been thinking when his
    big headshaking "fish" was taking all that drag. I was just a little embarrassed to let my imagination run like that but also thankful I didn't announce to "Get the Gaff...cuz I got the Right Kind!!"

One of the reasons I love salt water fishing... you never know what your gonna catch.

I'm not gonna BS... I was wore out after every drop..even the ones where I was just grinding up the weight. I fish private boats almost exclusively and I think it is totally worth the effort to drop in a new deeper zone, catch 5 big Reds in 5 drops and then go on to fish for something more shallow. Not something I want to do all day again.

Get out there and catch some nice fat Reds before the spots get too much pressure.

View attachment 1260273

View attachment 1260274

View attachment 1260275

View attachment 1260276
    [Pro tip]
    When you're tangled, reel a little slower than the other guy.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
    Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat
    No Name........
    sold my rockfish rod and reel years ago.... I kept the the huge crank handle and the flat rail plate...... glad I get to use those again....

I'll be cutting up some rebar and twisting on some stainless wire loops for weight since I can't afford to buy lead....

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0