Who else is looking forward to new rockfish spots?

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
May 21, 2008
San Luis Obispo
Name
Nick
Boat
Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
I don't miss fishing that deep for rockfish at all. But, I'm not in socal either. Fishing out of PSL catch all the rockfish we want at 150 feet or less.

Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Working on it
Now that rockfish is open to 100 fathoms I cant wait to try new spots that have been off limits.
2 weeks and few days until the opener. Then its taco time!

Anybody else looking forward to it?
100 fathoms is as shallow as you can fish rockfish?

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I am excited for it. But I was also excited for 450 feet which hasn’t really produced like I thought it would. But it will be entertaining on party boats. Rental spinners with straight mono and 20 ounces should be fun.

Yeah, I remember back when people were super excited about the 450 feet change, and then we got reports of... People fishing in 250 feet because 450 feet wasn't worth the effort.

This recent change is significant for Northern and Central California folks but largely worthless for Southern California folks. It won't make up for the new vermillion rock fish bag restrictions. It won't change much in how party boats or how private boats operate, either.

If they ever open up off shore banks like the 9, 14, or the 60 miles bank to rock fishing, OR expand the depths within the cow protection zone like they did a few years ago, THAT would be meaningful. As it is, the only hope is that they eventually remove the depth limit altogether near shore so we can target sablefish and thornyhead again, but beyond that, not much value.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD2600
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    I'm excited for it. Spot lock trolling motors should help. Time to find some new spots. And finally get to use some of those wall hanger jigs that are older than me.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Nick

215cc Triumph
    Aug 4, 2004
    san diego
    www.sandiegoanglers.com
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    bad habit
    Upvote 0

Nick

215cc Triumph
    Aug 4, 2004
    san diego
    www.sandiegoanglers.com
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    bad habit
    You have to plot the waypoints and then draw a line between to stay inside the designated areas. That being said, some of the legal depths will be deeper than 100fathoms.

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
    Mar 14, 2004
    Murrieta Ca
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Pursuit 2870 WA
    I would be more excited if Cowcod were legal to keep .
    Miss the 80's when we dropped 900 -1100 feet around the 43 and caught monster cow and lings.
    But i was dumb , 20 something , and nothing hurt.
    All that being said , it will be interesting to see if there are some honey holes to be found in the new depths.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    You have to plot the waypoints and then draw a line between to stay inside the designated areas. That being said, some of the legal depths will be deeper than 100fathoms.
    There are over 300 way points, but thats for the curve from Canada down.

Wierd thing is, last way point of the 100 fm curve is well north of the border, even though the other fathom curves in the CFR go all the way south. What happens then?

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    As a Socal guy... fishing in my Yak... no change other than a LAW restricting how many fish I can take home to eat... mind you COSTCO can wholesale rockfish!
    On my Big boat... SAME STORY. More fuel to search more spots... I SAY WIN WIN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I want tacos!!!

cs8.jpg