who brings different #50 and #60 bait setups?

Abee

Aug 8, 2018
LA
Name
Abe
Boat
None
How many of you guys bring a different rod/reel combo for your 50# and 60# bait setups vs bringing one reel/rod combo for both 50 and 60 and just changing the leader? For you guys that bring 2 different setups, how often are you using your 50# bait setups? I usually bring a 50# jigging setup and single 50/60 for bait/droppr setup, but im curious to see if anyone is bringing separate 50 and 60 for bait.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
Now days with the big bluefin around even on tuna overnite trips, I always bring the 60#. On my last 2 trips on a 1.5 and 2 dayer the 60# was used for the sinker rig with a 10oz torpedo a few hundred feet down for tuna up to 80-135# for a few of us. I also always bring 50# but have that ready for flyline only.

I would hate for the capt to say “break out only the heavy stuff” and you’re left holding youre 40# hoping to tag a 150 lb’r. Have seen that happen even on overnite tuna trips with guys with only 30# left standing there holding their d$(&s watching their spool empty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Both a 50 and a 60 come along on my multi-days/long rangers as the setups' configurations can, respectively, bump up or bump down a line class with the top shots so they are backups of each other. This "insurance policy," IMHO, is well worth the hassle of hauling them along.

YMMV.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    This is where Spectra shines... do you feel there is a large difference between 50 and 60 #?
    I go from 40 to 60 typically.

Reactions: James Taylor
    Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I have 2 set ups for those line classes. The big difference is the rods. I use 50# for bait only whereas I use 60 for bait and dropper loop bait. But for some reason I always end up at places that the 80# set up is needed for dropper lop fishing.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
    Culver City
    Name
    Tony Rezzato
    I bring 30#, 40#, 50# & 60# on 8' rods. Usually the 60# is my light chunk rod- mostly reels with 2,4" diameter spools. Then 80#, 100#, 130# & 200# on 7 1/2' rods with 4/0 and 6/0 diameter reels.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    How long of trip are we taking here? If wahoo aren't on the menu then I wouldn't bother bringing 50 and 60 lb.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    IMO, the difference between 50, and 60 is significant. It's not because of line diameter. It's because of knot strength and how hard you can ultimately pull with confidence.

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

• Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    This is where Spectra shines... do you feel there is a large difference between 50 and 60 #?
    I go from 40 to 60 typically.

No Cal Lou and Pitchinwedge provided the key points, rod backbone and a bump up in knot strength. Rod backbone would not be an issue if you were fighting the fish slow-pitch style with just the reel's drag. Increased knot strength is just that, plain and simple. These are revelant if the fish are willing to bite on the 60 (or the 50 if not on 60) top shot...

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    I’m to the point where I think it’s necessary. Think about it, if you’re fishing a topshot of let’s say 60-100ft, changing that out sucks. So why not just come with two. If you want your 50lb flyline rig, you have it. If you want your 60lb flyline/sinker/flatfall rig, you also have it.

My issues is that I’ve distributed my 40N for casting and flat fall duties... gotta delegate each rig to a different rod if I want to have a more proficient set up with either one.

Reactions: Intrepid Fan
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    It all depends on the trips length and if wahoo are on the menu, they're a deal changer. I bring 3-4 wahoo set ups alone 3 of which are 50lb for jigs and bombs. My bait rig is 40lb.

For Tuna, yes I bring different set ups for the above reasons

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    I always do. If it’s tuna fishing then I’m back in with another bait/jig quicker then trying to retie a leader! Some times that window To get bit is very short and we gotta make the best of it! Standing there holding your dick while everyone’s getting ripped sucks!

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    I’m to the point where I think it’s necessary. Think about it, if you’re fishing a topshot of let’s say 60-100ft, changing that out sucks. So why not just come with two. If you want your 50lb flyline rig, you have it. If you want your 60lb flyline/sinker/flatfall rig, you also have it.
    ne.

Why does a mono topshot need to be so long? The amount of topshot you have in the water lessens as the fish gets closer to gaff. Assuming you tied on a 5-6ft section of fluoro, you only got a couple yards of mono by the time the fish is boatside. How much stretch does a couple of feet of mono provide? It obviously ain't a rubber band.

Even with the fish 100ft out, wouldn't a longer, more parabolic rod be a better solution for the lack of stretch in fluoro and braid? Folks love heavy fast action blanks so maybe the mono is a must with this type of setup?

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Why does a mono topshot need to be so long? The amount of topshot you have in the water lessens as the fish gets closer to gaff. Assuming you tied on a 5-6ft section of fluoro, you only got a couple yards of mono by the time the fish is boatside. How much stretch does a couple of feet of mono provide? It obviously ain't a rubber band.

Even with the fish 100ft out, wouldn't a longer, more parabolic rod be a better solution for the lack of stretch in fluoro and braid? Folks love heavy fast action blanks so maybe the mono is a must with this type of setup?
    I fish my rods until they are bottomed out basically, not much bend (or shock) left in the rods after that.

Also what mono are you fishing? I fish either big game, but mainly first string. Those two lines might as well be rubber bands.

My philosophy with fishing isn’t to pull the hardest, but to wear down the fish the fastest. Heavier drags, and a big stretchy system that basically gives a fish an elastic force to pull against. The less line the fish is able to take, the better. So use heavy drags, softer rods, and stretchier lines. For long soaks, I haven’t found a huge difference between a 20ft leader and the typically 80 I fish with.

Also you’re right, a couple feet of mono doesn’t make a huge difference. A few dozen yards... yes it does. Take 3 feet of 30lb or 40lb izorline and give it a stretch. You should be able to get about 6-8 inches of stretch at most. Now magnify that over 90ft... that’s a lot of stretch. So when a fish is shaking it’s head, trying to turn away from you... well it’s still fighting this giant rubber band basically.

I only fish a 3-4 ft flouro leader I might add. I’ve found the end game is typically the area where things get fked up the most, so I make sure it’s as safe as possible. Therefore zero braid connections, and I let my mono and the rod do the heavy work well I make sure to keep the fishes head comming at least towards the surface in its spiral.

Last edited: