Who’s the prop guru? Need lower planing speed.

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by The Peddler, May 13, 2019.

1. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    After running my buddies boat to/from the halibut grounds last week, (2700 NorthRiver OS with twin 200’s). I think I have room for improvement with prop selection. Or maybe there’s another aspect that can be improved?

Currently running 17P Reliance props on my 2400 SeaSport with twin Yamaha 150’s.

Overall, I’m happy with the performance for cruising and Puget Sound, but after running a boat in the ocean, I feel I need something that will keep me on a more level planing attitude, at a lower speed.

Currently, I have to go full-throttle to get up on plane, then I can throttle-back to a comfortable cruising speed. The problem is, if I drop below 20-22 mph or-so (a comfortable ocean speed) I fall off step and I’m bow-high again, kind of plowing through he water. None of this lends to very efficient running.

I need to generate more stern lift. Should I do this with different props? 4-blade? Deeper trim tab use? Hydrofoils? Motor mounting adjustment?

Does anyone know of a guru in this field?

2. ledbed6b

ledbed6b I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Bigger trim tabs, permatrims, 4 blade props, all will help lower planing speed. I write a more detailed post tomorrow

TwoTapPat likes this.
  3. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Eli has strong points and all may be helpful but if I were you I’d seriously look at motor height.... in my opinion a lot of outboards are mounted to deep. Good luck

4. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    At a 17 pitch you certainly aren’t speed oriented and that alone says a lot

5. lucerunner

lucerunner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken luce
    Boat:
    Blue Kai
    Matt
    Get on hull truth and ask the prop gods he did for my boat gives several different ones to try
    I think they even have a web site prop gods

6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    What is your max rpm now fully loaded at full throttle and trimmed out? 4 blade props will definitely give you more stern lift. 4 blade power techs gave me too much stern lift on my boat with twin 150 Hondas and caused bow steer in a big following sea. Otherwise they were great and are fine for the sound. My boat is a touch bow down at rest and has a deep forefoot so it does not need stern lift. Seasports are not this way but do have a pretty good reverse chine that carries forward and with the stern higher and bow down those chines may want to throw you around some but only one way to find out tor sure. I would try and find someone running 4 blade props on your same boat and get input from them. Barring that, find some loaner 4 blade props and give them a try. They should definitely give you a lower planing speed. I think my powertechs would be about right for you and would loan them to you but they are hubbed for honda of course. Good luck

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Max RPM’s with nearly full load, trimmed-out is close to 6,000 on nice water.

8. lucerunner

lucerunner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken luce
    Boat:
    Blue Kai
    I like my merc enertia props lifted my stern

9. ledbed6b

ledbed6b I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Okay, now that I have a keyboard I can write a bit more of detailed post. For my boat, which is known to be ass heavy, I did 3 things to reduce my planing speed.

First I added a permatrim, this dropped my planing speed by around 3-4mph. Now my boat is a single vs twins so I'd expect you may see even more benefit. I don't think this is where I would start if I were you though.

The next step for me was adding bigger trim tabs, I ended up with 24"x12" tabs, this made another huge difference and dropped my planing speed by another 3-4mph, it also added roll stability in short chop. I would recommend this as your first step if you have any room to spare, which may be difficult with twins.

The combination of the permatrim and the trim tabs was enough to take my planing seed from ~22 mph down to ~16mph

I also added a 4 blade propeller, this dropped my planing speed another 2mph or so, but it reduced my fuel economy. So for running in the sound I have a 3 blade prop, I keep the 4 blade as a spare or in case I ever need to drag my boat out for tuna.

It sounds like you are propped correctly, and there may be some benefit to raising your motors, but what I found was after adding the tabs and permatrim the whole ass end of the boat rides higher and you won't get all of the same benefits by raising motors.

10. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    It sounds like you are propped correctly with the three blade props you are currently running. Definitely worth trying some 4 blade props, preferably in ocean conditions. The usual recommendation is to drop 1 or 2” of pitch when going to 4 blade props from 3’s. I would start with 15 pitch.

11. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I also agree with Eli and his planing surface gains. My hull is full width at the stern with no pod so planing surface was not an issue. You have a pod so gains in planing surface will help lower planing speed. 4 blade props alone should lower your planing speed a couple miles per hour. If you could also put larger tabs on it would go even lower.

12. Charles_Sterlin

Charles_Sterlin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Charles
    Boat:
    23' Pursuit and 28' Slickcraft resto mod
    Any chance you can rellocate weight forward too?
    Moving batteries under the vberth really helped the Pursuit

13. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Have you always had to go full throttle to get on plane? That seems way off. What’s your WOT rpm?

I don’t know sea sports well performance wise but with twin 150s it should definitely push it better than that. I had twin 150s on a 25 footer. Planed easily at 16 knots and was a much deeper vee.

14. Siv

Siv I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
    Had the same issues with my Seasport and went to 4 blade. Lost a bit of top end ( 2 mph - who cares ) but overall performance was much better. Especially in the ocean conditions you are describing where you can stay on plane at lower speeds and ride comfortably.

15. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Do this!

TwoTapPat likes this.
  16. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
  17. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Yes, nothing’s changed. It’s not necessarily required to go to full-throttle, but it’s close. The bow comes up, then the stern lifts, and I throttle back. The North River I drove just levitates onto plane, and stays there nicely even under 20MPH.

I get close to 6,000 for max revs.

18. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Easy fix. Just sell your SeaSport and buy a NR.

19. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Outside of the tweaking you are looking at something to consider in the apples to oranges comparison Matt is that you have similar bare hull dry weight probably (5k)+/- with that 2700 NR and he has 100 hp on you. I am sure you realize and probably dont expect to be able to duplicate his performance but just pointing out weight/hp disparity

The Peddler likes this.
  20. The Peddler

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I’m aware. He’s got 3 feet of length, and 100 HP more, but I’ve also spent time on a 24-ft NR with twin 140’s, and it performed similarly to the bigger boat except top speed. I’m not expecting the same, but I’m looking-for improvement.