White wash and burnin' fuel

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Irunthedeck, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    Been on a dry streak lately, 3 for 0. Any pointers ? We run mostly out of the windward side, got a nice spread and the boat is running fine but no takers. Been running 9" and 7" lures on 300# and 200# test leaders with lighter leaders on the smaller 3" lures that have proven themselves in the past, malolo and squid colors mostly, even try the mauraders..... maybe need to run smaller lures or different colors ?. Got bait for baiting all the time and a charlie for teasing and assortment of surface lures, plus jigging stuff but no mo' nuthin'. Finding birds and working the piles and the usual buoy checks, running the fathom lines blah, blah, blah.
    Need blood on the deck ASAP.

2. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Ask and the lord shall provide, talk to the man it works for me!

3. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE- Lil Toot 3
    Run more 5"- 7" lures. 250lb on the 7" and 150lb on the 5". Should get more action on the smaller stuff. Also what speed are you trolling at?

4. Yama

Yama Captain

Name:
    Yama
    Boat:
    25 ft Parker - Akiyo
    Maybe try bottomfishing when trolling is slow, like it is now. At least save gas and everyone takes home some ono tasting fish! Even a slow day like this one, brings home smiles. Not the ratcheting screaming, adrenaline pumping action that trolling provides, but hey....good fun ribbing the crew who catches the green eye shark or christmas tree taapes!

FYI - I got $10/lb for the 12 lb hapupuu so that alone paid most of my expenses. Hear windward side get some awesome bottomfishing spots.....when it's calm!

Attached Files:

5. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    if you're gonna bottom fish I'd test for cig before eating it, but hey that's just me, some of my friends got cig and it sucks!

tight lines,

6. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Been eating fish all my life. Never tested anything for cig. Never been sick.

East side fish is clean. Bottom fishing is great on the windward side....once you come up the way out of Kaneohe a bit.

btw
    LL last week had the mid sized shibis come up. Cousin Motored up from Haleiwa to play with em. Had opelu, only easy.....Game over 1200lbs.

7. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    @ Brian, Excellent advice and we do give ask for His Blessings and always give thanks.
    @ Nick, we troll between 6 and 8 knots, a little faster for ono and I have 200 lb test fluorocarbon on the 5", been thinking of dropping the lb test a little, 300 lb test on the 7".
    @ Yama, been thinking about making up some bottom fish rigs, I use to bottom fish commercially back in the 80's on the Ohana Kai out of Kewalo Basin so I still got the knowledge, just gotta find the spots. LOL !
    @ zzzz, yeah too bad they discontinued the Cigua-test kits....
    @ James, we got the damashi and have been talking about going early and find some live opelu, we usually have the frozen ones from POP on board.
    Thanks guys for the input !

8. Kauaihunter

Kauaihunter Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Moana Kai 15' Whaler
    Ika, akule and shallow bottom will keep you going when the trolling is slow.

Is there a test available for ciguatera? The last time I tried to buy one, the fishing supply store told me they were out and that they wouldn't be getting any more in because the test kits weren't being made. After that I went online and couldn't get one there too. This was a while ago.

9. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    not too worried about the cig from bottom fish... but if I start catching ROI down 500 ft.... then gotta worry! mostly you'll see the people who got it ate fish from known "hot" areas or ate fish that are known carriers. my uncle got it from a Roi back before cig was ID'd. Heck, I know guys that still eat roi they just fillet and discard the rest, no cig.... Never heard of someone getting it from a nice fat paka though...

10. lois

lois lurker

Name:
    lois
    Boat:
    99 nvrmin
    they aren't making them anymore.

11. hiloboy

hiloboy Okinawaiian Sencho

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
  12. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Again just cause you no see um no mean their not there.

Once your about 100-200 yards from the bouy drop um back. If get Mahi in the area they going come in. Not might be in the whitewash but it could be 10-15-20-25 yards off. Mahi are the smartest dumb fish out there. Continue by throwing some palu in their direction, then go from there. A well rigged whole ika is a perfect throwing bait.

This is where the guys with flybridge always going win.

13. caseyfisherman@

caseyfisherman@ Newbie

Name:
    casey
    Boat:
    5x5 pallet, tahitian drifter
    Shoots Jack.... hang in there man! this means you will and are due for some good action soon! Tight lines soon!!!!

14. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    Broke the dry spell yesterday. 1 shibi and 3 mahi, but tax collector got most of one of the mahi. 8-)

15. Rubberduck

Rubberduck Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23 ft Baliistic RiB, Rubber Duck
    Alright!!! Good going.

16. caseyfisherman@

caseyfisherman@ Newbie

Name:
    casey
    Boat:
    5x5 pallet, tahitian drifter
    EEYYYYYY Jack!!!!!! haha! STOKED you got da stink off!!!! hoping to get out of here in a few days.. weather was kinda up around here today. little "ONO lane" n some FAD wraps for some fun!

17. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Jack, good going on the fish. Sounds like you always go out prepared so it was just a matter of time.

Jonny