White Smoke on 4 Stroke Yam F200

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
Took the boat out for the first time this year after it sitting since last October. Ran from Long Beach to San Pedro and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Even made a few stops to circle around some seals for the kids to look at. Then when we were at San Pedro, we made a few more stops but this time I started noticing white smoke coming out of the back o the engine. The smoke really didn't really smell that bad. As we sat on idle, the white smoke would eventually stop after 10 minutes or so. So then we starting driving around again then made another stop. As we stopped, white smoke again for about 10 minutes after idle. So it seems as though when I take the boat up to around 3k-4k and cruise for awhile, this causes the white smoke. Deciding to not chance anything, we headed back into Huntington Harbor. Inside the harbor, we cruise around at 1500 rpm and the white smoke never appeared. So this shows that it only happens when we take the engine up to 3k rpm and higher. I never once noticed any performance issue with the white smoke as everything ran perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue can be and if I should be worried?

Lastly if anyone has any recommendation for a Yam mechanic in OC, I would really appreciated it. I have a lot of plans for the boat this year and would like everything to be in order.

Thanks

Upvote 0

jtw0524

Apr 20, 2008
Temecula, Ca
Name
Jimmy Williams
Boat
none
White smoke usually means steam which I turn means head gasket. How was the engine temps. I would defiantly get it checked out. You don't want water in the cylinders. Just for a heads up black smoke = unburnt fuel. Blueish = burning oil. White = water. Just my $.02

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
Jimmy is correct. I suspect the head gasket as well. It may only be an issue at higher rpm's or higher temps right now, but if that is the problem it will only get worse over time.

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
West Coast Marine Services in Costa Mesa. Certified Yamaha and they are the best around.

949.515.29822 ext. 2.

Ask for Nick or Gonzolo, they are the owners.

What is the oil level in motor and is this a 3.3L four stroke 2002-2005 model years?

Reactions: aguachico
Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
Ugh this sounds expensive to fix. Sounds like I'm learning fast about the meaning of BOAT. It is a 2015 F200 but it does have a lot of hours on it. Had it checked last August by a tech in San Diego and everything was perfect. Today the engine temp was normal and everything else seem normal except for the white smoke. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
If it's a 2015, might be still under warranty unless it was registered as commercial.....

Reactions: GOFAST88
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Get it into a mechanic and get it done right. Could be something easily fixed with minimum effort.

Upvote 0

rowdyrosco

sancho
Apr 9, 2009
PSL
Name
ross
Boat
Skipjack 20
Unless theres water in the oil or it's overheating more than likely its just steam from hot exhaust. Unlikely that it is the head gasket on a 2015, what's it have 400 hrs.

Upvote 0

dansly56

Almost A Member
Jan 13, 2015
Santa Clarita, Ca
Name
dan sly
Boat
2007 key west 225dc
Fellas I had the same problem yesterday fishing anacapa in the fog all day fog. Mine is a 07 Yamaha 250 four stoke with 50hrs. It's been sitting since late November and had been sitting with maybe 5 gallons of gas and some Yamaha brand fuel and ring free additives. I added 21 gallons yesterday as well. I was thinking it was the additives that were getting burned off or possibly the motor running in the fog or a combination of both? I'm a little nervous about it now that some of you guys are talking about taking to a mechanic. Should I take it out again when it's sunny and see if it acts the same before taking it to a mechanic?

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Ricky and Dan, odds are that with the extremely humid air you were just seeing steam from the exhaust. If the engine was running fine and you had no alarms don't freak out, take it to a mechanic
Ricky
Call West Coast, have them double check everything

Reactions: OnoEric
Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
Really appreciate all the feedback guys. Fingers crossed that it's just the humid air. Going to take her in to have checked out to be safe. Hoping for a big fishing season coming up and would not want to miss out on any of this with a busted engine.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
My I/O did the same thing Saturday, it's just the extra moisture in the air....

Upvote 0

pescadorable

Jun 27, 2009
Orange
Name
Tony
Boat
Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
I seen the same thing on my motor 2015 yamaha f150 while hooping my buddy has the same motor and the same boat who was out with me he also had the same thing on his I believe it condensation that can be seen in the cold and foggy days/nights.

Upvote 0

dansly56

Almost A Member
Jan 13, 2015
Santa Clarita, Ca
Name
dan sly
Boat
2007 key west 225dc
Really appreciate all the feedback guys. Fingers crossed that it's just the humid air. Going to take her in to have checked out to be safe. Hoping for a big fishing season coming up and would not want to miss out on any of this with a busted engine.
Ricky, please let me know what your mechanic says. That way I can check mine as well if it's something major. Thanks

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Could also be a leaky line somewhere under the cowl dripping on the exhaust when it gets high pressure (high rpm).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Mine did the same in the fog yesterday morning too. Checked temp and looked for evidence of water in oil. All good. Worry not.

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Upvote 0

mischief1

Jun 30, 2008
Canyon Country CA
Name
Dennis
Boat
24 Skipjack "Catchit"
When was the last time you changed your engine water pump impeller? I would guess week rubber vane's may cause lack of cooling water to the engine at higher RPM. I change mine every year.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
If these Yamahas got close to the point of over heating, alarms would go off long before damage could occur. Hell, my 17 yr old OX 66 will set off an alarm pretty quick if I get anything over the pick up
To the owners, for peace of mind bring them in and have them checked out

Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
When was the last time you changed your engine water pump impeller? I would guess week rubber vane's may cause lack of cooling water to the engine at higher RPM. I change mine every year.

It was changed late last year and it has only 12 hrs since then.

Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
I'm taking her in just to be safe on Monday. Will let those of you who are curious know what the outcome is. Fingers cross that it's just the humidity.

Upvote 0

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
Ok just brought my boat back from West Coast Marine. Thanks to those of you who recommended them. They will be my primary place for all maintenance now. As some of you said, the white smoke turned out to be normal. Everything checked out clean on my motor. Gonzolo mentioned that this typically happens in the winter time when the moisture in the air is different and most people aren't aware of this because they only run the motor mostly in the summer months. This description fits me as the day I took the boat out was very foggy and similar to what we would see in the winter time.

Overall, it was a small price to pay for some peace of mind. Again as some stated here and what I was told by the mechanics, if you see white smoke (probably steam) and there's no alarm or performance drop, then it's most likely nothing to be worried about.

Thanks to all who provided advises to this noob.

Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Ok just brought my boat back from West Coast Marine. Thanks to those of you who recommended them. They will be my primary place for all maintenance now. As some of you said, the white smoke turned out to be normal. Everything checked out clean on my motor. Gonzolo mentioned that this typically happens in the winter time when the moisture in the air is different and most people aren't aware of this because they only run the motor mostly in the summer months. This description fits me as the day I took the boat out was very foggy and similar to what we would see in the winter time.

Overall, it was a small price to pay for some peace of mind. Again as some stated here and what I was told by the mechanics, if you see white smoke (probably steam) and there's no alarm or performance drop, then it's most likely nothing to be worried about.

Thanks to all who provided advises to this noob.
Thanks for following up. You'll see cars do this too when it's cold.

Upvote 0