White Seabass Tips

Ben Green

Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
So I have tried really hard to catch a ghost, but they still elude me on the rod (get em spearing), so looking for some advice.
Went out this last weekend in my boat and made a shit ton of squid overnight at Rosa. Started fishing the active spots around 5am with several different tackle set-ups, fly line, dropper loop, lead head on 20 - 30 # flurocarbon and some other variations. Used squid for chum and thought I had checked all the boxes, only to not get a single bite of anything interesting.
When I look at the various reports and fish counts it's clear they were around.
Possible culprits: Not enough current where I was (it was really still), not the right tackle, not patient enough in one spot and moving around too much, or maybe I just suck!
Planning on going back out when the 3 limit season opens up and any tips would be appreciated???

Thanks...

Reactions: jiggermyster

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
So I have tried really hard to catch a ghost, but they still elude me on the rod (get em spearing), so looking for some advice.
Went out this last weekend in my boat and made a shit ton of squid overnight at Rosa. Started fishing the active spots around 5am with several different tackle set-ups, fly line, dropper loop, lead head on 20 - 30 # flurocarbon and some other variations. Used squid for chum and thought I had checked all the boxes, only to not get a single bite of anything interesting.
Possible culprits: Not enough current where I was (it was really still), not the right tackle, not patient enough in one spot and moving around too much, or maybe I just suck!
Planning on going back out when the 3 limit season opens up and any tips would be appreciated???

Thanks...
just make sure that your Dropper loop Hook is Four feet off the Bottom
and 10 inches away from the main line.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Conditions conditions conditions, Tides, water color, current, bait selection, locations, setting up properly (anchoring) , and the right spot at the right time.

16A95EBA-AB5E-4AE5-92B4-B787D0FBA1C3.jpeg

Ben Green

Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish
Conditions conditions conditions, Tides, water color, current, bait selection, locations, setting up properly (anchoring) , and the right spot at the right time.
How long do you stay in one spot anchored before moving on if no bites?

Blackfish
Blackfish
I'll set up a few hours before sunrise, and fish a few hours after sunrise, then go looking.

Evening bite, same a few hours before sunset, and a few hours after. it's not always sunrise or sunset type bite. I have caught them at 3 am, and 1pm. Tides swings I thought I had it figure out for a few seasons back when i fished a lot. 50% ratio. That was 6-7 years ago. Time on the water. More time, more opportunity.
Upvote 0
Blackfish
Blackfish
I fished for them about two weeks ago. Set on one spot from 1pm to 9 am the the next morning, because I thought the spot had the best conditions that I could find. The only thing we had going against us was was the current, it was wacky. Decent tides.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Ben Green

Jul 15, 2017
Malibu
Name
Ben
Boat
Fish

View attachment 1285470
How long do you stay anchored in the same spot before moving on if no bite?

Blackfish
Blackfish
If I setting for the gray or dusk bite, a few hours after sunset or sunrise, then I will call it. If I'm just cruising and looking for spots that look fishy. 30-60 min. no bites, no life, I then move.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Stop looking for seabass and start looking for the right conditions(uphill current,foamy bright green water up by the beach etc),its everything and they will show sooner or later.Start a chumline and stay on a spot if your getting bites,batrays and blueperch turn into seabass alot,Seabass are attracted to the commotion.Also they will eat almost anything if they are biting,squid is nice but they will wolf a mac or a white jig just as quick,A year or so back they were eating some kind of red plastics up there.
    If all else fails go fish with tucker,lol,Good luck!

Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
    Oct 6, 2010
    Hollister CA USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Dorothy G

Thanks...
    Ya, I'm pretty sure you just suck!

Sorry, you hung it, I had to take a whack at it. :)

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    I went fishing with Captain Tony over the weekend. Here is what we learned. You need to be in the right spot at the right time. Dropper loops are the most productive. Use the Venture style Dropper loop, waist high with a loop large enough to fit your head and a big offset hook 6/0 to 7/0, and a Palomar knot. Use heavy gear because the the fish don't care. 40/ 60 Lbs gear. A lever drag is best, because you want to fish it in gear and in the holder, clicker on. J hooks, let the fish hook themselves, they are better at it than u are. Set the drag at about half strike.
    Run squid lights all night, after you make bait then will build bait under your boat. Fish all night! also be quite like a mouse. Two baits on the hook, only one needs to be live. If you fish the jig and squid, the jig needs to be the one with the large single hook.
    Our results: Two day limits for four guys. There was a 1:30, 2:30, and about 3:30AM call to arms. We had 5 fish in the AM. In the morning we moved the into deeper water. After we got distracted fly lining for yellowtail, The WSB came thru and hit all of the dropper loops. It was a total S storm. We landed two out of four! The last one fail to a fly lined dean with an 1/8 oz. Now you have the skinny.

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    I differ than most. Although I no longer really target squid grounds cbass but I have caught 100s of cbass on the squid grounds and never once fished dropper loops

Squid ground fishing I fish white Tady 45s and dead squid, minimum 40lb line, rod in the rod holder, jig a few feet off the bottom reel in gear, drag set. Sunset to Sunrise

Mid day, beach and kelp line fishing looking for off colored water and current, direction is location sensitive. For example, there are two spots at Catalina that are half a mile apart, one bites on a uphill the other on a down

When I fish them now, its strictly summertime, coastline kelp and live macks for the tankers

One thing you need to be very careful of is not spooking fish when you set up on a spot, lower that anchor by hand

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Ghost fishing is boring!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0