GATR

Almost A Member
May 29, 2010
Oceanside
Name
Bob
Boat
Old Gregor
Good comeback. Seriously killing a 10# calico is just wrong. If you are running a charter and have to do it, that's one thing just don't brag about it.

Upvote 0

Gringo Sushi

PB Skipper
Jul 22, 2009
Fullerton, CA
Name
Todd
Boat
28' Farallon Whaleback / 24' Skipjack Open
Wow on that cali and goats :D

What a mix too.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Good comeback. Seriously killing a 10# calico is just wrong. If you are running a charter and have to do it, that's one thing just don't brag about it.

If anything, it IS something to brag about. That fish has evaded capture for a long time, and they get smart too. He's not catching some little schoolie.......

Don't be a jackass. The guy caught a LEGAL fish, that 99.9% of us would love to catch, and he decided he wanted to have some good tacos.... So what....

Oh, and it's so cool of you to spend your 3 posts in this thread. Did you join up just to rag on a guy about keeping a fish??????

If you don't like it, go here....... www.peta.org

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

medunn16

Captain blue perch!!!
Apr 1, 2006
Lomita
Name
Chris
Boat
Blackman'46'Boat Ho!!!
Shouldn't Jack be painting this time of year!:D

Well done on a banner year!:hali_olutta:

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Man you guys are having quite a year Billy Good job on this trip

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Sweet lord those are some big goats! If that was at Catalina, that's incredible. I didn't know they still had quality goats like that at Cat.

While diving several locations on the backside of Catalina I have seen numerous very large fish working deep rock gardens. The habitat was very rocky, with sheer walls, overhangs and caves. A little sand flat in 100' - 120' or so, then dropped off rather quickly again.

The eastern head of lobster bay is one place you might look for them.

Upvote 0

fishpainter

Pro bed wetter
Dec 17, 2004
huntington beach
www.fishheadart.com
Name
matt
Boat
1860 Blazer Bay"SNOOK HUNTER"
Upvote 0

SoCalRedNeck

MOJO fish catcher
Feb 18, 2008
Puyallup
Name
Daren
Boat
Skunk pussy
If any one wants to join me i wanna fish that boat IF we can get a few guys together hit me up and lets make it happen 7605769295 Richard

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
That looks like some good fishn. I wanna launch outa o side, how many miles to catalina. Call me lazy call me polish just give me a good answer.

Upvote 0

lobzila

May 2, 2007
Oside
Name
e-man
Boat
204 Angler
That looks like some good fishn. I wanna launch outa o side, how many miles to catalina. Call me lazy call me polish just give me a good answer.

54 miles from Oceanside to Catalina, However if you trailer your boat up to Dana Pt, its only 30 something miles. Less wear and tear on the boat, but more on the tow vehicle. Time back to Oceanside is about the same.

Upvote 0

Fishingguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
Thank you everyone for the kind comments; most of them. :(

It was definetly a trip to remember. We released more than what we kept.

In regards to the calico, I know this is a very sensitive subject for many. The fish was gut hooked with an 8/0 Aki hook. Believe me, our crew educates our customers about catch and release on the calicos, but the ones that we can not save, the customers have the choice of doing as they wish with their fish.

We all wished the fish would have made it but unfortunately it did not. The passenger who caught the fish is having the fish mounted as we speak. We are not here to kill and destroy everything we catch. THAT IS NOT OUR PURPOSE. We really try to make it a memorable trip for our clients and educate them about the fishery as well

The customer who caught the fish was speechless when we weighed the fish, he had been searching for this fish for over 30 years. Please be happy for him. It was just unfortunate that the fish was gut hooked.

We released over 40 other large calicos and even more quality sheephead on that trip.

So if this post offended some of you, I am sorry. We truly did not have the intention of killing such a rare fish.

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
Catch and release is up to the person who caught it. If he wants to keep it, great. If he wants to release it, great. I just want the cpt to put me on fish and then I'll decide what I want to do(of course BSB's will be released).

Darn nice batch of fish regardless.

Upvote 0

stewart

Dec 18, 2007
los angeles
Name
stew
Boat
24 ft. Farallon
Thank you for killing that Calico. They are such a pain in the ass when fishing for White Sea Bass because there are so many of them.
So Jason you just being a smart ass or what???? The fish was gut hooked what are you going to do??? release it to die?

Upvote 0