Coxswain
Sep 3, 2003
Channel Islands Harbor Calif.
Visit site
Name
Frank Sullivan
Boat
35ft Viking Sportfisher
The pens in Channel Island Harbor have about 30K juvenile WSB that we should be able to release in a few weeks.

Because of the good growing season we have had this year the mussels have also thrived! They are beginning to cover the exterior predator net and not only weighing it down but if allowed to continue will inhibit the free flow of water through the pens. Last time this happened it got so bad that the fish wouldn't leave when we dropped the interior containment nets because the fish only saw a wall of mussels. That time we had to cut the net and we don't want to do that with this new one.

Don Dickey who usually dives the nets for us is in the hospital with an infected recluse spider bite and will be out of commission for quite some time.
We are asking for any volunteers who dive and are willing to take on the project of removing the mussels. This would be best done with a team of divers, at least 2 divers at a time. We will cover the costs of your air.

Please contact me by PM or [email protected]

This could be a good way of building WSB fishing/spearfishing karma.

Reactions: WILLIEJEANS

BAJA.DESERT.RAT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
recluse spider bite ??? LOCALLY ?

i've seen this spider bite in baja and it's not fun. i hope he went in early and i hope he recovers fully.

thank you very much for what you guys do.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

saltydoc

Oct 8, 2008
Arroyo Grande, Calif
Name
Harley Boos
Boat
25 ft Bahia Davis Boat 28ft Farallon whaleback and 19 ft North River
sorry, BUT THERE ARE NO BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS ON THE WEST COAST. We have lots of blackwidows and they are a very nasty bite. I saw the results of a blackwidow bite on a horse once, and there was a huge area on the neck that died and necrosed as a result. A6x6x6 inch hole!

JustFishn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 17, 2011
Los Angeles
Name
Justin
Boat
14' Livingston
sorry, BUT THERE ARE NO BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS ON THE WEST COAST. We have lots of blackwidows and they are a very nasty bite. I saw the results of a blackwidow bite on a horse once, and there was a huge area on the neck that died and necrosed as a result. A6x6x6 inch hole!
Actually, rare but possible and have had them here!

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Wow, scary stuff right there. Wishing Don a speedy recovery!!!

Riff Raff 527

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 13, 2014
Name
Richard
Boat
Cabo
Yes they do live here and many people in the Ojai Valley have been bitten.

hendo7

jackass
Feb 5, 2011
MOORPARK/CA
Name
NEIL
Boat
25 downeastern pilot house
yes they do been bitten by 2 within 3 months apart once on the wrist and could not use my hand for a month, looking at the pic that's just the first stage of infection I had a swell the size of a tennis ball on the side of my wrist that cut of circulation ,very painful at times