Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
Little late of a report, but went out monday to the whistler and back up towards Point Loma on the outside of the kelp looking for bonito or skippies for my 11 year old. Made a stop on puddling bait and soaked a couple of baits, engine was acting up so I shut it down while I dicked with it. Heard 'Oh jeez...' and looked over to see my little dude pinned to the rail on a nice bonito. Unfortunately had to head to the barn with the motor issue, before getting on them more, but there's some good action out there now if you want to have some fun. Made poke out of the bonito, and I have to say it was f-ing excellent! I guess the report is you don't have to run out to the Cortez to have some fun, there's some seriously good tasting tuna right outside the mouth of the bay...

Bonito1.jpg

muletrain

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
Nothin* better than putting the kids on fish

Nothin worse than Boat issues

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Geo-Fish

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Whistler buoy Bonito = great!
Your son reeling it in = priceless.
Memories made. Great job Dad.
Sorry about the motor.

Last edited:

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Nice bonito. Fix the boat and get back out there now that you're hooked on the poke.

Reactions: Geo-Fish

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
Thanks guys, parts are ordered and back on the water shortly.

I'm telling ya, I was skeptical on the bonito, but it turned out fantastic! Try it you'll like it!

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
AP
Boat
73 Boston Whaler 16'7
Thanks guys, parts are ordered and back on the water shortly.

I'm telling ya, I was skeptical on the bonito, but it turned out fantastic! Try it you'll like it!
Awesome way to spend some time with the heathens! May I ask what the issue was with the motor?

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Everything you said is spot on, But Bonito is good eating Tuna, That is questionable!
I know, I know! Believe me I used to be the guy shaking them off saying, “Cat food”. But one day I saw an article here on BD and bled them immediately, carefully iced them, fillet and cut out all the blood line at home and ate them that night. It did not hurt that one of my Korean neighbors owns a sushi restaurant and made sashimi and sushi that night and brought round samples. Now I have a smoker and trust me that stuff is gold! Probably the most underrated eating fish. Try it you’ll like it.

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
Awesome way to spend some time with the heathens! May I ask what the issue was with the motor?
Timing belt gear on the top of the crank had worked itself loose and pushed up into the housing. Still dialing in a new to me honda BF90. Not a hard fix, got a used gear and housing on ebay for $50, and another $100 for new timing belt and odds and ends while I'm there..

How else is the kid supposed to see how Vessel Assist works? Quick tow in from in front of the carriers into Glorietta. As he said when we got back on the trailer and in the truck, "Well that was an adventure!"....

mrkrabs

Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat
Lard ass
:cool:
Timing belt gear on the top of the crank had worked itself loose and pushed up into the housing. Still dialing in a new to me honda BF90. Not a hard fix, got a used gear and housing on ebay for $50, and another $100 for new timing belt and odds and ends while I'm there..

How else is the kid supposed to see how Vessel Assist works? Quick tow in from in front of the carriers into Glorietta. As he said when we got back on the trailer and in the truck, "Well that was an adventure!"....
intermission_3696.jpg

Reactions: Ib1

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
Great to read the parts are ordered, go get em