Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Plan today was to catch some macs and fish for lings. No macs so plan B, go to the Whistler bouy area and scratch for dinner. Fortunately I alway bring a block of squid for such days. Fished out there for about 2 hours with little to show for it. However, had plenty of time to slow troll the reef and spotlocking my TM when I see something interesting. Finally after most of the day for little, I try an old hole out there where Ive caught whitefish before. I just spotlocked on the WP. Almost immediately I get hit. Stayed until I caught limit with two sculpin as a bonus.

To me this is a prefect day in our lovely ocean.
HH
IMG_2934.jpg

Chad Skowron

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 9, 2014
SMB
Name
Chad Skowron
Boat
Catalina Eddy
How do whitefish compare to the normal reds? Ive never kept and eaten one.

Reefmo

Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
My wife and I love em. We make ceviche out of them and tacos out of reds. Im not sure how you would qualitatively describe the difference...

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
nice. love sculpin and like whitefish. eat them fresh as ceviche and fried.

Reactions: kevina

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
My list of good eating common bottom fish in order is sculpin, whitefish, shallow water rockfish then reds. I like the long skinny filets from the whitefish for tacos. Watch for the bones in the middle of each whitefish filet. A perfect fit for a taco shell, white sauce and some greens with cheese.

Going fishing again tomorrow to the 9mile (swell dependent) for big reds but IMO reds are better for more steak-like recipes. I like the reds whole, BBQed, stuffed with crabmeat served and/or basted with a sweet and sour sauce. Not as sweet and delicate as sculpin or whitefish.

Plan B Thursday if the double swell is as bad as expected, is to fish the morning in the bay with the big incoming tide. Hopefully for a halibut or two. If no luck then finish at the Whistler with the leftover squid from yesterday. I'll breakdown and get some live bait this time cuz actually going fishing with someone. He pays for bait, food, and beer but work or family problem talk is off limits if he wants to go again. I pay for new motor, new TM, gas, slip fees, etc..

Note: The TM is a big help in big swells and wind cuz it positions the boat's bow into the wind and/or swell with much less rocking action. No sneaky swells from the transom area.
HH

Last edited:

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
I'll eat whitefish over yellowtail anyday.

Some huge ones out around cortez and tanner too.

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
My list of good eating common bottom fish in order is sculpin, whitefish, shallow water rockfish then reds. I like the long skinny filets from the whitefish for tacos. Watch for the bones in the middle of each whitefish filet. A perfect fit for a taco shell, white sauce and some greens with cheese.

Going fishing again tomorrow to the 9mile (swell dependent) for big reds but IMO reds are better for more steak-like recipes. I like the reds whole, BBQed, stuffed with crabmeat served and/or basted with a sweet and sour sauce. Not as sweet and delicate as sculpin or whitefish.

Plan B Thursday if the double swell is as bad as expected, is to fish the morning in the bay with the big incoming tide. Hopefully for a halibut or two. If no luck then finish at the Whistler with the leftover squid from yesterday. I'll breakdown and get some live bait this time cuz actually going fishing with someone. He pays for bait, food, and beer but work or family problem talk is off limits if he wants to go again. I pay for new motor, new TM, gas, slip fees, etc..

Note: The TM is a big help in big swells and wind cuz it positions the boat's bow into the wind and/or swell with much less rocking action. No sneaky swells from the transom area.
HH
Yup. No work or family talk once you push off... Good job out there. Time for some Sculpin sashimi!

Ditch work

Mar 25, 2009
West LA, CA
Name
Will Lin
Boat
I wish
Agree with the rest of the guys on here. Whitefish is better than rockfish. Have converted a bunch of friends to whitefish, tho, regrettably, they no longer just throw their whitefish into my bag.

Reactions: the SLIDER

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
The whitefish have been thick this year. Easy limits for those who have kids that want to graduate from mac attacks.

Ggiannig8912

Well-Known "Member"
May 17, 2011
El Cajon
Name
Gianni
Boat
yellow rocket
White fish aren’t my favorite. But I still tasty. Reds are a more meaty meat IMO. Plus I’ve found that whitefish turns mushy after freezing.

Reactions: kevina

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Earlier this year me and a buddy went out of PL to catch some macs and bonito for lobster bait. We were in 80 fow and saw this huge pile of fish coming up from the bottom on the finder. My buddy dropped his colt sniper down and a whitefish grabbed it about 30 feet down. Idk if they were spawning or what but I’ve never caught a whitefish on a jig of midway through the water column. We didn’t stick around very long but it was cool to catch one that high in the water column.

Noms

Dirty taco maker
Aug 12, 2017
San Diego
Name
Angel
Boat
15 foot tin can
The bigger local Whitefish sure are fun to catch on 17lb line with a lighter jigging rod. Broiled Whitefish with cheese makes a great taco.

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Nice day with good groceries to take home.
Definitely enjoy eating all the white meat fish we are lucky enough to have here.
Being from Wisconsin , I have to beer batter and deep fry most of them .
Been making ceviche with the head meat and even stomach meat from the RF after filleting . Great way not to waste a thing.

What TM set up do you have Howie ?