Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I choose stern rail as prime real estate. But on a drift a bigger boat rules. I know there are videos posted how the boats are laid out but it really makes a difference with passenger numbers divided by stern feet. Then how the skipper runs his boat, i.e. speed underway and how he maintains a stable crew.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Excel with 26 anglers or AA with 23 anglers?
Hello Steve,

You will not go wrong with either boat. FYI: the advertised passenger amount is usually less than actual amount of passengers (ask the office if the trip is +1). The Excel is the largest long range fishing boat and will give you more space per angler, but there is more to it than just rail space. There are many important factors; charter group, fish handling, food, crew, boat condition, boat ride, bait and tackle storage to name a few...

There are ~12 long range fishing vessels and they are all good. Depending on your priorities, preferences, schedule and budget; select a boat that makes sense to you.

Enjoy!

- Jeff Burroughs

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Well, the boats I have gone on have been smaller, but enjoyable. But I thought it would be nice to "go big" one time, you know, where everyone eats at the same time instead of shifts,etc. Just for a change. I have heard good things about the Excel. Also, since it is a few days longer than I have gone before, I thought the extra room would be nice. Seriously though, I have nothing but great things to say about the boats I have been on. in the past.

Reactions: harddrive

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
A word to the wise, so it doesn't blind side you like it did me.
Read ALL the fine print at the end of the schedule pages. Some trips overbook by more than one.
It's there, I just didn't notice it before booking.

Capt Ahab

Jan 25, 2017
Somewhere in the Galaxy
Name
Mark Rodman
Boat
Upright
Extra rail space is a misnomer ...the real equation is the proficiency of the anglers...

I would much rather fish the smallest vessel in the fleet with a proficient group of anglers than the largest vessel with a small group of inconsiderate ASSHOLES!!!

Another caveat is the reduced bait carrying capacity of the smaller vessels on 13+++ day trips...

I DON'T SPEND $6,000.00 on a trip to have the skipper/deckhand question my request to put a few MORE baits in the fish well!!!

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Both great boats, and yes I have fished them both multiple times. The Excel only puts 2 anglers in each stateroom. Nothing to do with rail space but something you might be interested in.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Overbooking by one is fairly common. Some boats will have an additional angler, a sponsor's rep. The language on this is either easily accessible or non-existent, depending on the boat. Best to ask, give them a call.

Jay-Hook

Nov 11, 2013
Los Gatos
Name
Jay
Boat
None
Excel. Especially on the hook. On the longer trips it is pretty common to look around, find a spot, anchor and "see if this stuff builds up on us". The stern rail is prime real estate.

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Some boats are more ergonomically friendly for YOUR body and YOUR style of fishing making them more comfortable for YOU regardless of rail space available. I recently discovered that some boats really swing ass end forward faster on the drift than others do which could mean on that longer soak bite that all the anglers fishing (even on a limited load) end up bunched up on the bow in about 4 feet of rail space (and that's if they rotate properly!). Overall fishing experience per angler is important as it relates to passenger load (hard to control this factor)... it only takes a few who decide to do it THEIR way instead of the proper (best) way to screw things up for everyone else... the more experienced anglers have already figured this out so they do what's best for the group or they will wait for those who don't get it to get around the corner and then cast out on the opposite corner so as to bypass the oncoming cluster fuck... and sometimes its best to just head to the bow first and cast out there ahead of the group. Available rail space has never been a factor for me personally on LR fishing boats, generally there is always plenty of space in the bow (as most prefer to start in the stern) and generally on the longer trips the max passenger load is such that you don't feel elbow to elbow like you do on a 1/2- 3/4 day cattle boat trip where they will often pack in as many as the coast guard will allow.

G

Last edited:
Reactions: Olddog8

The Matador

Gaff Man
Nov 7, 2012
San Clemente, Ca
Name
Andy
Boat
Waiting
My feeling is that a good fisherman can make either work. I would be more focused on overall experience. In my many years of riding the AA each trip is like being with your extended family. The crew is just awesome and IMHO the best. That is what I base my decision on. Not how much rail space there is. But full disclosure I have not ridden on the Excel but hear great things about the boat and the crew. You are just going to have make a choice I think either way you really cannot be wrong. I just like "family get together" feel on the smaller boats like the AA and the Star.

Good luck wish your choice.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
A word to the wise, so it doesn't blind side you like it did me.
Read ALL the fine print at the end of the schedule pages. Some trips overbook by more than one.
It's there, I just didn't notice it before booking.
Along with that the food on the Excel sucks, its another long range cattle boat.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Along with that the food on the Excel sucks, its another long range cattle boat.
Well Jerry, for one thing I was not referring to the Excel on the booking issue. They are straight up, one over as stated on the reservation page.
And another thing, I think you owe it to yourself to take a trip on the Big X again. Food is top notch IMO, in the top 4 or 5 boats.
Only boat I've ever had creme brulee for dessert.
Maybe not under the old owners, but the new owners brought the menu up to the top.
Stuff I can't afford, or spell :D
Oso Bucco, Lambchops, etc, etc.

Last edited: