Olive

Hooked
Dec 10, 2014
Name
Olivia
Boat
-
I need to buy waders because I'm fishing near Kodiak in June. This will be my first pair (and first time in Alaska). I know I want to get the kind that's thinner so I can layer, and I'd prefer chest waders. Other than that, are there any features or considerations I should think about? They seem to range a lot in price. Assuming I do more stream fishing in the future, what would be a good investment?

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
If your going to be getting in & out of a vehicle moving from spot to spot you'll want to get the kind with the boot attached,
as they don't hold as much water as a wading boot would.I would also not consider felt soles either.Since this invasive species(mussels & snails) felt is not allowed at quite a few places.
If at all possible go to a place where they have a lot of different stock as it very important they are very comfortable.
The ones with the velcro shoulder straps are better in my opinion as there are no buckles to fail.
Bass pro is a great place to buy if possible.They usually have a lot of different styles.

Reactions: Olive
Upvote 0

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
My wife just got women's breathable stockingfoot chest waders from Caddis, she is up-grading from the neoprene waders which we bought for a trip to Kodiak in 2011. If you get stockingfoot waders you will need wader boots to wear over them. Buying wader boots is tricky, you will need to buy a boot size that is 2 1/2 to 3 sizes larger than you normally wear so you can get your foot and a layer of neoprene into it. If you go with a breathable/thin wader you will need to wear something under it like a fleece liner or thermal underwear to keep you warm. My wife tried a wader boot all in one combo last year and liked it because it was easy to get into, but after using both types of waders she preferred the stockingfoot style because she liked the better support her wader boots gave her on a gravel bottom. The one problem with wader boots is they dry very slowly so you will probably be taking them home wet. Personally, I prefer waders that have a stockingfoot and use wader boots over them.

Upvote 0

Olive

Hooked
Dec 10, 2014
Name
Olivia
Boat
-
Thank you for the insights. I happened to try on Caddis today. I wasn't sure how baggy they should be, but I liked them. This might be a ridiculous question, but assuming I am able to get the neoprene stockingfoot into my waterproof hiking boots or xtratufs (which are both big for me), is there a reason why I shouldn't just use that footwear? Haha. I may be revealing just how little I know by asking that question. I'd just hate to pack a third pair of bulky footwear for this trip.

Upvote 0

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
There is nothing special about wader boots except a few features. The treads are thick so you can screw the metal lugs they come with into the soles for more traction, I have never used them. You will probably be in water at some point that will be deep enough to go over the top of your hiking boots so expect the inside to get wet and if you use xtratufs and it rains, it will, the water will cascade down your waders and fill up your boots. Wading up to your knees is common. I would start with getting your waders and then try putting on your hiking boots, I bet you will not be able to get your foot into them with the baggy neoprene but this will help you determine what size wader boot to get if you decide to buy them. I would also recommend bringing your xtratufs, they are standard foot wear in AK and waterproof hiking boots are also very useful. I hope this helps and if you don't feel like asking a question on this forum just send me a PM.

Reactions: Whalebreath
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I do my wading in the coastal rivers of Oregon chasing steelys.I like the warmth of neoprene.I also don't care for stocking foot waders.Even with gravel guards you will still end up with rocks in your boots.
I probably went thru at least 10 pairs of stocking foot before switching over to booted waders.I'll never go back.
Just my 2 cents take it for what its worth.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I use the Cabela's breathable chest waders and they are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0