CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
OK! you capacity guys got me. I went and got a Penn 50S and off to Cals it goes. Now what rod do you suggest I put this thing on??? most likely it will be spooled with 130lb JB hollow

Upvote 0

BKOne

Jul 5, 2011
Monterey Park
Name
Ben
Boat
One Day
Ask a question like that and you're bound to get a variety of different answers. A number of options play into the equation. Are you going to fish a harness or the rail? Is this gonna be your bait rod? For fishing the rail, I personally fished a Calstar 770XH this past December with my 50 sized reel and really liked it. So much so that I'm getting another one. I'm sure the Seeker fans are going to chime in with their 2x4's and the newer Phenix stuff is looking really good and gaining in popularity. I would hit up a well stocked tackle shop and look at the rods yourself and see what feels good to you.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
Ask a question like that and you're bound to get a variety of different answers. A number of options play into the equation. Are you going to fish a harness or the rail? Is this gonna be your bait rod? For fishing the rail, I personally fished a Calstar 770XH this past December with my 50 sized reel and really liked it. So much so that I'm getting another one. I'm sure the Seeker fans are going to chime in with their 2x4's and the newer Phenix stuff is looking really good and gaining in popularity. I would hit up a well stocked tackle shop and look at the rods yourself and see what feels good to you.

Well I have a belt and just a little harness that goes around your back, not a true stand-up rig, that being said, I see from most pics it seems that everyone is using the rail more or less so I'm leaning that way? this gear thing is nuts sooo.. all I got is a 50S-no rod, 30VSX 40-130 all rollers, 16 VSX 40-100 roller tip-stripper, a couple of cals super 12's various rods to throw them on and a couple of TRQ 200's {for catching bait} I booked the Independence 11- 10-12 11.25 day hurricane bank/lower banks this is what I'm bringing

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
For a 100 -130 lbs set-up, the The Calstar GF 7465XH is a useful tool. I have two Penn 50s mounted on these rods and they work great! These Calstar 7465 series rods (6.5') are at least one X stiffer in comparison to a 770. In my opinion, the 7465XH feels somewhere between the 770XXH and the XXXH as far as stiffness and pulling power. At least mine do, I use rollers :)

There are many choices and preferences involved in the rod selection process. Go pull on some and decide what feels best to you!

PM me if you have questions or need further recommendations.

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

TShooter

Team Cheesy Poof
Mar 24, 2004
Alpine
Name
Robert Peterson
Boat
Yak, Cheesy Poof
Don't go with anything less than a 770XXH. The XH is too light and you will regret it. Remember you want to put as much pressure on these fish as you can. The XH doesn't have enough balls to really put it too them when you are fishing in the 130-150 range. I fish 90 on my XH's, 100-130 on my XXH's and 130 + on my XXXH's. I was thinking that the XH be great for my kid, but last trip he smoked them with the XXH and XXXH and he only weighs in at 130.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Since you already have a 30 size reel and a rod to go with it, you've got the 100 lb topshots covered. Hurricane Bank fishing just recently saw nothing over the 210 mark for several boats, my trip included. Good venue for the 100 lb. You've got to fish the diameters like 100 lb Blackwater is same as 130 lb Seaguar Premier. You can get away with 90 lb Seaguar Blue Label or Blackwater 80 lb. But, usually, friends don't let friends fish the 80 lb. Suggestions on tackle to avoid that and the smaller reels like the Avet HXW Raptoer sometimes though, go unheeded.

Clarion's Buffer Zone on the other hand seems to hold more big ones as is the case on the Lower Banks. That's your application for your 50S and you want the bigger rod. Calstar 770XXXH is awesome for that as would be a Super Seeker 6463XXXH or XXXXH. Your choice, off the rack or have it built. Mine all have rollers but we're seeing a lot more ring guides. Thing about Clarion or the Lower Banks; next bait could be the one.

Oh, and we all know you meant 11-21. ;)

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I like a little shorter rod so I use a Calstar 7460h with a standard 50 size reel. Seems to work just fine and I use 100 on it but mostly 130. In a pinch I have used 150lb on it, but that bite was wide open and that was the last full reel I had left with a hook on it...worked just fine.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    OK! you capacity guys got me. I went and got a Penn 50S and off to Cals it goes. Now what rod do you suggest I put this thing on??? most likely it will be spooled with 130lb JB hollow

I like a 770XXXH or a high tech Phenix 700 4XH...

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    I like a little shorter rod so I use a Calstar 7460h with a standard 50 size reel. Seems to work just fine and I use 100 on it but mostly 130. In a pinch I have used 150lb on it, but that bite was wide open and that was the last full reel I had left with a hook on it...worked just fine.

I also like a Calstar 7460H. I built a 760XH and a 7460H a few years ago. Liked the 7460H a bit better cause it shut off a little better. I now have 3o f them. I fish 50's on all of them. 1 has a 50SW on it, the other 2 I use with 50's.

I have 130 on all three reels, and the rods all have flat undersides on the foregrips to use on the rail. To tell the truth the 760XH and the 7460H are really close. I wouold be OK with either up to 150. Between the rail and low gear the rods work fine for bigger fish.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
    Feb 5, 2011
    Opelika Al USA
    Name
    quinn
    Boat
    exel last, next?
    This is crazy! CRAZY! do you hear me! $450 for a friggin fishing rod! that being said I'm having a GF7465XH built, crazy, just crazy!

Upvote 0

lasparky11

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2008
    Ontario, CA USA
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    X-wife she's so fat she floats
    This is crazy! CRAZY! do you hear me! $450 for a friggin fishing rod! that being said I'm having a GF7465XH built, crazy, just crazy!

I have a 7465XH & a H. The XH has just as much puller power as a 770XXXH in my opinion. I borrowed a friend of mines 770XXXH, like the 7465XH better. It is more versatile in that you can fish it on the rail, with or without a plate, or with a harness. I got a 50VSX with 130# mounted on mine.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
    Feb 5, 2011
    Opelika Al USA
    Name
    quinn
    Boat
    exel last, next?
    I have a 7465XH & a H. The XH has just as much puller power as a 770XXXH in my opinion. I borrowed a friend of mines 770XXXH, like the 7465XH better. It is more versatile in that you can fish it on the rail, with or without a plate, or with a harness. I got a 50VSX with 130# mounted on mine.

thank you! you second guess yourself to death! I liked it because it had a 12 tip but it was in the 130 class

Upvote 0