Which Reel would you get for a Cow Trip.

Which Reel would you get if you were in my Shoes

• Total voters

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Hey Guys,
I am getting one more outfit for my 16 day trip on the Excel in November. I'm getting a 7'6" UC Invictus wrapped right now I need to get another reel. I have an Okuma MK-20IISEa, Okuma MK-30IISEa and a Cal'd Penn 50 TW. From my experience this about covers all the scenarios. I can use the Penn for big baits and even the kite. The 20 and 30 are great for sardine fishing with 100# and 130#.

My question is should my next Rig be another Makaira 30? Or should I get a Makaira 50? In my experience it seemed the 30 was plenty enough reel to do 90% of the fishing so why not get a backup rig in the same class? My last trip I borrowed a Makaira 50 and didn't end up using it much as it was heavier to carry around.

Your thoughts?

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hey Dave,

I really like the Makaira 50 SEa. It is a great tool for big baits and/or night time cow fishing. However, the Mak 20 SEa makes more sense for a second small bait outfit. It all depends on what you like (not what I like). Have fun on your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
If your looking for a reel for an Invictas you would use the 30 or a 50.
IMO, a long range quiver is not complete without a 50 size reel.
When the bite goes wide open on giants, you'll be happy you have one.

He could put his 50TW on the Invictus

Reactions: Retired1

fishordie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Hi Dave,

If I were in your position I would purchase another Mak 20 SEA II + UC Viper 76. More than enough line, More than enough power and can serve multiple purpose from Live bait, big bait, chunking, drop jigs, etc.. this rig is great for any top shot from 80 - 150#. I put on 100 pound hollow Spectra but that is up to you. The 16 is great to have but on that extra long trip the size and weight difference between the 16 and 20, when mounted on a relatively heavy but proper, rail rod type stick, is just not enough to make up for the line capacity and power of the 20... When I sell folks their first Mak 20 and Viper combo for ultra long range and they ask me what their second setup should be I say duplicate this rig. As a third rig, then I recommend the Mak 30 or 50 with the UC Invictus 76 depending on the comfort of the angler to handle a taller 50 vs the wider but smaller diameter 30. The Invictus is particularly effective in flatter water conditions with live bait as well as a kite rig or other rig when big hooks are used. As a note, I also recommend the Mak 20 with the Invictus as that reel is just AWESOME for so many uses. The 16 might be something I recommend as a 4th or 5th rig if the hands or mind set of the angler is more comfortable with the 16 size reel. I do not recommend the angler purchases a kite rig until that angler has their other gear covered.

As always, this is just my opinion...

Best of luck with your decision.

Jamie

Last edited:

Josa1

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 17, 2009
San Pedro, CA, USA
Name
Joe
Boat
Red Rooster III
Hi pangamaster,
I've gone through the same thoughts at times.
I originally got 2 30 SEas but eventually traded one for a 20 SEa. I use the 20 a lot during daylight fishing and have a 240 on it, which it handled very well. I agree with you that the 30 is a joy to use and use mine a lot. The Okumas seem very reliable so don't think a back up is required but if you're thinking redundancy more than back up, you couldn't go wrong there.
I use a 50VSX for big baits + fishing the helium balloon. This reel is a big step up from the older Penns with great free spool and a monstrous drag system. Funny though, I've never caught a really big fish on this reel,,,,go figure.
I recently got an AVET 50 SDS that I the like the feel of a lot but I'm going to have to see how I use it on my upcoming June Heat trip.
I use a 16VSX with 80 pound for the 130-160 stockers at Hurricane Bank and it seems to work fine. But some of these fish are brutes as far as fighting ability, so sometimes I wish I had the 20 SEa instead of the 16 after I'm lucky enough to hook one.
I fished a 50W for years, it works fine and I'm sure the TW would work well for you, especially since Cal's had his hands on it. As Gary said above, after using the smaller reels it's hard to be a big fan of the 50 wides but they are beasts and can put the hurt on some big fish!
Enjoy your search, it's one of the fun things about long range fishing, getting to always change and adjust the tools you have in your arsenal!
josa1

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
I'm just a noob who has never even fished for cows, but I've been doing a ton of research and I'd go with a Mak20 Seaii.

And it looks like I've been doing my homework correctly if Jamie is recommending the same thing. :D

Reactions: fishordie

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
I am in research mode on this one, I also like the MAK's, but on a suggestion by others I am also going to look at the Penn TRQ40n lever 2 speed.

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Just went through this same thing and could not make up my mind so I got a mak16sea with a uc centaur, a mak 20sea with a seeker 2x4 , a mak 30sea with uc viper and a mak 50sea with a saltyDawg rod . :)

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
"I'm getting a 7'6" UC Invictus wrapped right now"

I thought you were looking for a reel for the rod your having wrapped right now which is a 130 - 200# rod, right? I have one and fish 130 - 180 on it. I don't think a 20 size reel would be best choice for this rod. You probably already have rods for your 20 and 30 but you can mount 'em on your new rod and decide for yourself. Maybe put your 30 on your new rod and get another 20?

Last edited:

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Hey Guys,
I am getting one more outfit for my 16 day trip on the Excel in November. I'm getting a 7'6" UC Invictus wrapped right now I need to get another reel. I have an Okuma MK-20IISEa, Okuma MK-30IISEa and a Cal'd Penn 50 TW. From my experience this about covers all the scenarios. I can use the Penn for big baits and even the kite. The 20 and 30 are great for sardine fishing with 100# and 130#.

My question is should my next Rig be another Makaira 30? Or should I get a Makaira 50? In my experience it seemed the 30 was plenty enough reel to do 90% of the fishing so why not get a backup rig in the same class? My last trip I borrowed a Makaira 50 and didn't end up using it much as it was heavier to carry around.

Your thoughts?
You can't have too many MAK20's... not a fan of the 30. As others have written, that is a heavy rod so the MAK50 would be my choice of the two reels you mentioned. MAK20 remains my go too, I have a couple and would like to have a couple more.

Reactions: Juanba and Bill W

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Wow! Thanks for all the amazing information. Looks like I should have included the Mak 20 in my poll. So it seems I'm between a Mak 20 and a Mak 30 now instead. My rods I have so far are 770 XXH, 770 XXXH and SS 6463 XXXH. With the 76 Invictus my quiver could look like....
770XXH Mak20
770XXXH - New reel???
6463 XXXH Mak30
Penn 50TW - 76 Invictus

I just love the 6463XXXH/Mak30 combo....I can fish it all day with confidence! And I just landed my first cow on it. All other combos are open for debate.

Thoughts?

spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
free spool is more important than anything /even with big baits/ I love the 50s and I want a man. the key to me Is knowing when to max your gear. I may fish all day with my man 30 or 20/ but prime time I go with my 50 size reels to max my opportunity // its all about yourrrrrr game plann

Reactions: stephen campbell

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
For the rod that you mentioned, a Mak 50IISEa fits the bill, for an all around cow reel, the Mak 20IISEa is, IMHO, the standard by which all others should be measured.

-Connor

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
free spool is more important than anything /even with big baits/ I love the 50s and I want a man. the key to me Is knowing when to max your gear. I may fish all day with my man 30 or 20/ but prime time I go with my 50 size reels to max my opportunity // its all about yourrrrrr game plann
Yo Mike,

I am not one to judge another "Man's" preferences, but you might want to correct your post here to prevent an illusion of something that may not be true. Or perhaps you wrote what you intended in order to insure you get a single room..LOL

Jamie

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
I think a 80lb reel is mandatory these days in a minimum cow quiver(especially this year)

the last few months on many trips- the 80lb setups have gotten at least 75% of the bait caught fish . While this could change next year and probably will, a great 80 lb setup for typical mid day fishing should be a go to setup in everyone's arsenal: since its usually slow pick fishing 90% of the daytime.

It is this reason that I think a MAK 16 is a great choice. I am getting more.
Just fish it on a 100lb or more rod and you are good to go.

with your rods:
770XXH Mak 16
770XXXH - New reel???(mak 20 or 30)
6463 XXXH Mak30
Penn 50TW - 76 Invictus

Reactions: Fishybuzz

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Not a fan of the wide reels for bait fishing.
Nope, me either, unless it's a Skippy or a Baby Giant we're using for bait.

I went the other way, got a Mak 16SEa.

Reactions: vegasandre

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
I have a 10 and a 15, if I had to choose I would just jump to a 20 and be covered, for the trips I do anyway

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
sometimes it seems funny to me when people talk about oz's of weight, Funny no one ever asks you after you land that big fish after working for hour's, Hey how many oz's is your set up? HAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: stephen campbell

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Dave, stoked for you to be celebrating with the longer trip, nothing like it! :)

50TW, two speeded by Cal?

I'd look at this combo.

770XXH with a new Mak 16
770XXXH and the Mak 20
6463XXXH your Mak 30
Invictus with the 50W