Which Reel Would You Buy??

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by No Cal Lou, Jun 7, 2018.

1. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    Looking at a 16 size reel to purchase. Would you buy a Penn International 16 VISX, or a Makaira 16?? I can't decide.

2. DesotoBound

DesotoBound Newbie

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Excel
    I have a Mak 16 and it's been a great reel on two trips down south but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Olddog8 likes this.
  3. terrace

terrace Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    Yep
    between those two it's got to be which one feels most comfortable in YOUR hands

Fattony, dh515 and freegaff2 like this.
  4. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Penn is a little more expensive, lighter weight, probably holds just a little more line with similar drag capability and slightly higher gearing.

I have a Mak 16 SEA and like the low gear. Really a toss up. Get the one you like to look at and hold since you will likely be spending long hours with it. If you can get a better deal on one vs. the other it may tip the scales as well.

Depending on your intended use you might also consider HXW Raptor 2 or 3 speed.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    First I would ask what other brand reels do you own. Second, I don’t think it’s a toss-up; Penn 16VISX is the better reel. Solid construction, made in USA, and reel mechanics that I know and trust have told me about recurring problems with the Makaira 16. I know Mak 16 internet proponents will point to some big fish caught here and there but I classify those catches as stunt fishing. I want a well built, solid, made in USA reel that will last a lifetime and Penn has proven itself over and over, in every fishing venue around the world for decades. The VISX series is a winner so that’s where I stand.

Mangisda, shellback, hhal and 11 others like this.
  6. Chico Tan

Chico Tan Member

Name:
    Chico Tan
    Boat:
    N/a
    What’s stunt fishing? I tend to value the internet opinion of regular people. Just need enough data points so statistically significant. Need to weed out bias too and commercial interest.

socal53 likes this.
  7. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    I like the suggestion by a previous poster to hold both and see which one feels better to you. I truly do believe both are quality reels.

Having said that, I have a Mak 16 which has been flawless in at least five 14-15 day trips. My son landed his first cow on it and the reel was easily up to the task. I have several other Maks and have only had a problem with one. A 30 SEa that lost freespool. Okuma fixed it quickly for free and I had it back within a week.

While not the 16, I also have a Penn VISX 12. On its first trip/first fish, the reel lost low gear and I had the joyous experience of fighting a pissed off 120 lb. YFT for an hour in high gear. Penn as would be expected, fixed it free of charge. It took longer as the reel went to Philadelphia for repairs. I’m not saying these are bad reels but not what I expected from a highly touted reel brand new out of the box. Then again, these are mechanical devices and shit happens. Perhaps I was just unlucky with this 12.

While I would say customer service was excellent from both companies, I’d have to give the nod to Okuma for speed and ease. Just something to consider with either choice, given your location.

Bottom line, it’s personal preference. The Penn is more expensive, 4 ounces lighter, puts out a little less stated drag and has higher gearing. The Okuma is 4 ounces heavier, has a bit more stated drag and lower gearing. Both have excellent free spool. For me, the deciding factor would be the gearing. Good luck with your choice.

Olddog8, r.rose, Bill W and 5 others like this.
  8. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I have both and think you could go either way. I plan to keep a set of both, one to fish with a short 3-4 fluorocarbon top shot, and the other to fish long mono top shots.

Bill W likes this.
  9. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Both are nice reels,if you plan on keeping it forever I'd go with the Penn. At some point they'll quit making the mak and getting parts will be an issue,Penn tends to support their products forever. Wouldn't buy either without going and holding them to see which one feels more comfortable. A lot to be said for that.

10. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    These are the the differences between the two reels. Dave is correct - gearing should play a major role in your decision. We all have different ways we fish the rail. Higher or lower gear ratios is a matter of personal style. Understand your style and choose accordingly.

11. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    Tough decision. I have the Mak 16 and it has been excellent. I also have the prior generation Penn 16 VSX which has been sent to Cal for lower gearing and Blueprinting. I think the newer Penn's have incorporated a lot of what Cal does to the VSX into the design. I would opt. for the Penn if I had to choose but both are fantastic reels.

12. ninjastar

ninjastar Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    N/A
    I was in the same boat as you and when I has both reels in front of me I went with the VISX and these reels haven't been out that long.

Olddog8 likes this.
  13. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I have both and I’d get another Mak. I like the feel of it. It is slightly smaller and to me is just a more comfortable reel. I fish 80 on this class reel, won’t be pushing it further. Now I just have to decide if I want it on my 76 Centaur, my new 1X3, or on my Phenix.
    In honesty, I think whichever reel you choose you will love.

14. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Lou when I see you later this month you can check them both out at my place....

No Cal Lou likes this.
  15. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    "recurring problems with the Makaira 16"

Would you care to share these problems with us? I have five MK SEa reels, and have had problems with two of them. My 20, after one big and two small yft froze up on me. I couldn't turn the handle. Okuma fixed it. The second problem is with a 30. As I'm winding line on with my line winder, the reel pops out to gear and immediately goes back into gear. Okuma has it now. I hope they can find the problem.

All brands, at one time or another have problems. Even Penn. I understand that, but when you are out on a Long Range trip and the reel fails, what are you going to use for the rest of the trip? Yea...yea....I know all about "back up" outfits.

The good reviews are great. Makes you want to buy one, but when a bad one comes along, people think he's just bad mouthing the product just because he has a grudge against it. When I buy something on line and they provide reviews of the product, I read the bad reviews first, and the five star reviews last.

Tackleho619 and dh515 like this.
  16. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I have a Mak 16.

On the Mak, I like the handle ALOT better than the VISX.

On the VISX, I like the smoothness of the lever drag ALOT better than the clicking one on the Mak.

Anyone want to trade? :D

17. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    "I tend to value the internet opinion of regular people"

This is great. I do the same thing, but I have noticed that most of the reviews are positive. Anglers with a negative opinion tend to not review the product, especially here on BD, for obvious reasons. So now you have reviews that are slanted towards the positive, and in my opinion is not very "scientific".

The best reviews of a reel are the people that work and repair the reels, but they, for sure, will not come on a public forum and give you their opinion.

18. Chico Tan

Chico Tan Member

Name:
    Chico Tan
    Boat:
    N/a
    Do the same thing as you. Especially on Amazon. Find the products with a large number of positive reviews then read the negatives to determine if I can live with the “possible” problems.

Cubeye likes this.
  19. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Which way are you wanting to trade?

20. tunachris

tunachris Member

Name:
    Chris Lomax
    Boat:
    none
    Recently got a Tallica 16, had Cal do a lower low gear and blueprint it. Just got back from the East Cape, was my go to reel with live bait. Got a few marlin, and a couple of decent tuna. Reel worked like a charm

Tackleho619 and richardblufin like this.