Which Raptor for Hoos??

Dec 9, 2005
Lake Forest, Ca.
Name
Rex Whetzell
Boat
none
First, the Longfin in Orange, has both HX and JX Raptors, also HXJ Raptor. In JX Raptor, two black, one blue. Not sure on colors for the others.
I have HX, HXJ, and two JX Raptors. The HXJ has a little more line capacity, than the JX, and a little more drag, and it's a little faster on retrieve. They're very close in every respect. I like the HXJ for super-fast retrieve, and I prefer the JX for overall ease of handling. I don't think either one would be a clear winner for wahoo fishing, handle them both on a rod, see which one you like better.
P.S. Don't forget Bombs and Raiders!

Attachments

Hefe'

Live2Fish
Sep 26, 2007
Bonita
Name
Jeff
Boat
Not now
HXJ Raptor or JX Raptor? Why?

Anybody know who has them in stock (SD or OC).

I plan to put it on my 800XH for casting raiders and bombs.
I am picking up my JX from Squid Co today for the 6 day trip on the Indy

Dec 9, 2005
Lake Forest, Ca.
Name
Rex Whetzell
Boat
none
SX Raptor could "catch" a wahoo, but the retrieve is too slow to attract a wahoo to hit the jig.

Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Raptors not required but fast line pickup is. Actually, my Saltist Spinner has a 53" per retrieve pickup.

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
So, I have an HXJ raptor on my jig stick...calstar BT90J. If I want to get a stick dedicated to hoo bombs, would it be a good idea to use the HXJ on the hoo stick, and get something else for the surface jig stick? Or, just get a second HXJ?

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
Why a Raptor for Hoo? save a few bucks and just get the HX and be done with it. Now if you planning on fishing bigger tuna ... I can see the Raptor and the application it would serve on those types of units....

just saying ....

Dec 9, 2005
Lake Forest, Ca.
Name
Rex Whetzell
Boat
none
The best rod for wahoo jig fishing is a Phenix PHD809XH, and that's a fact. I've tried/owned all the others,Calstar, Seeker, GUSA, and the Phenix is best.
You do need a HXJ or JX Raptor, at 17-20# of drag, a HX/JX binds, and you can't turn the handle.
Setting the hook is critical if you want to"catch" a wahoo! You need at least 17# of drag.

Attachments

Dec 9, 2005
Lake Forest, Ca.
Name
Rex Whetzell
Boat
none
An HXJ Raptor gets 47 inches per crank, MUCH better/easier to crank FAST!

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
HXJ Raptor or JX Raptor? Why?

Anybody know who has them in stock (SD or OC).

I plan to put it on my 800XH for casting raiders and bombs.
My first question would be WHY? Why do you feel like you want to spend double the money for a raptor when any Avet (HX or JX) would do just fine for Wahoo?

I fish my SX raptor with 40# or 50# for tuna but use a JX and and HX for wahoo.

Dec 9, 2005
Lake Forest, Ca.
Name
Rex Whetzell
Boat
none
I caught lots of wahoo with a Penn Master Mariner from 1954, and a Newell 533, and a Penn YTS. Yes, you can use a lot of reels/rods to catch wahoo. BUT, I want to use what works the best, and I want three of them, so I can set one down, and pick up a fresh one, instantly!

lasparky11

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
Let's think about this.
Why spend $400+ dollars on reel you don't need?
Why use a 2 speed for throwing bombs?
Why use a lever drag which doesn't cast as far as star drag?
Penn Baja 113HN is a great reel for throwing bombs & raiders. 4:25 gear ratio, 400 yards + of 80# solid spectra, a ton of drag & virtually indestructible. They don't fade or bind, + there easy to handle, narrow & fairly light weight, less than HX. Bait a different story you need a 2 speed (ok you don't need one but it's nice to have one) in case you bite by a tuna. There are other single speed star drags reels out there a 40N comes to mind or Newell.

det13

Sep 8, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Allen
Boat
Yak
My first question would be WHY? Why do you feel like you want to spend double the money for a raptor when any Avet (HX or JX) would do just fine for Wahoo?

I fish my SX raptor with 40# or 50# for tuna but use a JX and and HX for
wahoo.
What type of spectra do you back the sx-r with? I have 300 of jb but have heard that I might get spooled at the rocks thinking about 50 solid?

Dec 9, 2005
Lake Forest, Ca.
Name
Rex Whetzell
Boat
none
I've tried everything, 60# JB hollow, 50# Blackwater hollow, etc. What works the best and gets 400 yards, is Izor 50# solid. I've been spooled twice, at Alijos, by big 100# plus tuna.