lefty22

OG Hulk
Aug 25, 2012
Ontario
Name
Thomas
Boat
none
Going on my first 8 day trip in October. I got gear from 20 to 130 so I think I am covered. Trying to figure out what reel to use for Wahoo bombs, jigs, and raiders. I usually use long mono top shots for casting, but I am not sure about overall line capacity needed. I am wondering if line capacity will be compromised if I use long 50lbs. top shots. How do you guys set up your line? I think the reels I have that will work for this application are;

Torque 25N Star
Torque 30 Star
Fathom 40 LD2P
US Senator 113N
Baja Special

PL_Fisherman

May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Cary
Boat
Fun Ones
All will work, Wahoo don’t go on massive runs. Keep your stick high and pressure on the fish. I’d pick up the 113 for 50lb work though.

Reactions: gecsr1

Wahoover

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 5, 2005
Laguna Niguel
Name
jack snipe
Boat
Long Range
I use the TRQ 25N with 65lb. spectra and about 100 yards of 50 mono. Works great - proven wahoo killer... I have tried a FTH 40N but just doesn't feel good to me for casting jigs over an over. The Baja special is also a taller reel like the 40N that would work, but you would probably have to grind a little faster. The 30 is a wide 25N and would work if you want a little bit more capacity, but it's really not necessary and the wider reel is just a little harder to manage line during casting and retrieval. Go with the 25N! Good luck.

Last edited:

lefty22

OG Hulk
Aug 25, 2012
Ontario
Name
Thomas
Boat
none
I use the TRQ 25N with 65lb. spectra and about 100 yards of 50 mono. Works great - proven wahoo killer... I have tried a FTH 40N but just doesn't feel good to me for casting jigs over an over. The Baja special is also a taller reel like the 40N that would work, but you would probably have to grind a little faster. The 30 is a wide 25N and would work if you want a little bit more capacity, but it's really not necessary and the wider reel is just a little harder to manage line during casting and retrieval. Go with the 25N! Good luck.
How much 65 lbs. do you have on the 25N?

bob1825

Apr 11, 2007
San Fernando Valley
Name
Jason
Boat
Anyone the fits my schedule
I just had 390 yards of 65# pro spec put on my Torque 25NLD2. Filled almost to the top.

Reactions: pukahd

Wahoover

Jan 5, 2005
Laguna Niguel
Name
jack snipe
Boat
Long Range
Penn Torque 25N Star Drag – 280 yrds 65# solid spectra, ~60 yards 50lb. mono topshot

lasparky11

Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
I use Fathom 40NLD works great. I have med size hands no problem with the reel size. 40+ inches per crank gets the jigs moving fast. I had a conversation with Cal not too long ago he was working on a 6.2 gear for the 30 & 25n Fathoms to along with the low gear he makes.

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Going on my first 8 day trip in October. I got gear from 20 to 130 so I think I am covered. Trying to figure out what reel to use for Wahoo bombs, jigs, and raiders. I usually use long mono top shots for casting, but I am not sure about overall line capacity needed. I am wondering if line capacity will be compromised if I use long 50lbs. top shots. How do you guys set up your line? I think the reels I have that will work for this application are;

Torque 25N Star
Torque 30 Star
Fathom 40 LD2P
US Senator 113N
Baja Special
I used the fathom 15 2 speed on my 8 dayer and it was a blast chucking bombs with it. I hooked one wahoo but I was a rookie with them at the time so I lost it but it worked very well

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I use the Torque 25n star drag with 65lb braid and a 100yd top shot of 50lb mono. It's a proven wahoo killing setup and in my own opinion the best wahoo reel ever made (yes I have had a Trinidad 40n, it doesn't come close). It just feels and fishes like it was made for this on my Calstar 875H (I have 2 of these set ups just for throwing Iron and bombs)

I honestly think you'd be fine using a Fathom 25n for this as well if budget is an issue. It's a great little reel. That and the fact the Torque star drags aren't being made anymore. The 25n is tough to find but the 25 works as well. I have two of those and have caught a bunch of wahoo on the iron using them.

I think a 40n is just to much reel for throwing iron or bombs and sits to tall on the rod. I have big hands and have a Torque 40nld2 and didn't like it for wahoo. it's a badass tuna reel though for fishing 60-80lb topshots

Reactions: richardblufin

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
I use a 113H with Tiburon frame and havent had any issues yet.

lefty22

OG Hulk
Aug 25, 2012
Ontario
Name
Thomas
Boat
none
I use the Torque 25n star drag with 65lb braid and a 100yd top shot of 50lb mono. It's a proven wahoo killing setup and in my own opinion the best wahoo reel ever made (yes I have had a Trinidad 40n, it doesn't come close). It just feels and fishes like it was made for this on my Calstar 875H (I have 2 of these set ups just for throwing Iron and bombs)

I honestly think you'd be fine using a Fathom 25n for this as well if budget is an issue. It's a great little reel. That and the fact the Torque star drags aren't being made anymore. The 25n is tough to find but the 25 works as well. I have two of those and have caught a bunch of wahoo on the iron using them.

I think a 40n is just to much reel for throwing iron or bombs and sits to tall on the rod. I have big hands and have a Torque 40nld2 and didn't like it for wahoo. it's a badass tuna reel though for fishing 60-80lb topshots
I want to you use my torque 25n also, but wouldn’t 100 yards of 50 lbs mono fill up most of the reel? Would line capacity be compromised?

Reactions: Mark Bingham

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Some great answers already posted here; none of them are wrong.
My "personal" favorites for wahoo are:
The TRQ40NLD2 for bombs, raiders, etc., though its almost not fair once the fish is hooked.
The TRQ15LD2 for bait, though I tend to use only 25-30 pound topshots for bait. Use 40-pound braid backing to make sure you get the most possible yardage.
The TRQ25N star drag for surface iron, because its just the best surface iron reel ever made.

Last edited:

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I want to you use my torque 25n also, but wouldn’t 100 yards of 50 lbs mono fill up most of the reel? Would line capacity be compromised?
Why do you need line capacity for wahoo? I’ve never come close to getting halfway into the spectra. Tight drag and turn the fish to the boat and grind on his ass.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Ha-Ha, oops, must be muscle memory that typed that out. I meant the star drag version!
Thanks for the clarification. Will probably still get the 25nld2 at some point soon. Was eye balling it at Ken’s today

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Thanks for the clarification. Will probably still get the 25nld2 at some point soon. Was eye balling it at Ken’s today

I actually do use the TRQ25NLD2 for surface iron any time tuna over 75 pounds are probable.

lefty22

OG Hulk
Aug 25, 2012
Ontario
Name
Thomas
Boat
none
Some great answers already posted here; none of them are wrong.
My "personal" favorites for wahoo are:
The TRQ40NLD2 for bombs, raiders, etc., though its almost not fair once the fish is hooked.
The TRQ15LD2 for bait, though I tend to use only 25-30 pound topshots for bait. Use 40-pound braid backing to make sure you get the most possible yardage.
The TRQ25N star drag for surface iron, because its just the best surface iron reel ever made.
Steve, dropping the mic as usual.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Steve if the trq25 is the best ever, then why was it discontinued. How about rereleasing it ? What is the gear ratio on that reel?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Steve if the trq25 is the best ever, then why was it discontinued. How about rereleasing it ? What is the gear ratio on that reel?

Unfortunately, sales were just too low.
As noted in another thread, the consumer demands "smoothness" in many cases. The stainless gears in the Torque star drag series were not quite as smooth as the brass gears on similar reels, and no amount of explaining the advantages and superiority of stainless gears could overcome that effect.
The "stock" gear ratio was 6-1, but accessory gear sets were available which allowed the gear ratio to be changed to 5.3-1 or 4.8-1, as the individual angler wished.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Unfortunately, sales were just too low.
As noted in another thread, the consumer demands "smoothness" in many cases. The stainless gears in the Torque star drag series were not quite as smooth as the brass gears on similar reels, and no amount of explaining the advantages and superiority of stainless gears could overcome that effect.
The "stock" gear ratio was 6-1, but accessory gear sets were available which allowed the gear ratio to be changed to 5.3-1 or 4.8-1, as the individual angler wished.
it’s to bad but it is what it is. I just had a blast fishing my Torque 12 on a 3 day on the RP. Didn’t think I needed a 15 but now I have to find one

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Will Penn ever make a U.S. Senator US113XN ? It would be like a 349H on steroids. Probably will never happen but would be pretty cool.