surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
All good choices . . . but for three day trips, I think that your list is too short. If you want Michelin Star food and a sink in your stateroom, you should also include several others of the True Long Range boats, which offer several short trips each season.

If you want solid 3-day fishing without front-of-the-plane amenities, I enjoy multi-day runs on the Condor and Islander and Ocean Odyssey and others. I choose them because I can't eat the ultra-fancy food anyway, and I prefer a rapid troll rotation and fishing the slide, which is not how most of the biggest boats operate.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I like the nicer boats with sinks, power outlets, reading lights in the bunks, closets or shelves for your clothing, etc. I’m not fond of living out of a duffel bag, even for three days. Just had a 3 day on Shogun. I like that boat, crew, captains, food, etc. My favorite boat is American Angler. But, hard to go wrong with any of the boats you listed.

Mr GreenJeans

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
The entire LR fleet does a good job, but each boat is slightly different. Pay attention to the variations in boat size, passenger load, and cost. Vagabond is the smallest at 80 feet, but usually goes with a load of 22. PS and the Star are 90 feet but usually have a load of 24. Etc., etc. Quite frankly, just pick a boat that fits your budget and your calendar. Smaller boats will have a lighter load and (hopefully) fewer tangles. (IMO fewer lines in the water equals fewer tangles.). Bigger boats usually offer better amenities and a better ride. (Economies of scale or some such.).

Once you find a boat you like, stick with it. Over time you will find a favorite roommate, a favorite room, a favorite tackle spot, etc. As you gain seniority on a given trip, you will move up the hierarchy and gain access to your favorite spots. Just pick a boat, jump on board, and make the best of it.

tunacraze

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
I can tell you this...you won't be disappointed on any of the boats mentioned above. Try to get a trip this time of year or later and you should be golden. Good luck! It is an addiction!

Reactions: RichG

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Why choose a "LR" boat for a short range trip?
Because it's night and day comparison to the 1-3 day boats. Would you rather have your dinner that comes from a can or the freezer or have it all made from scratch and eat like a king? A smelley bunk room or a state room?? Top sirloin steak or filet mignon? The list goes on and on and they are pretty comparable in price when you add up the nickle and dimes that are charged from "The Other Boats". You get what you pay for, and The Long Range Boats will never let you down, especially service and amenities!

Reactions: RichG and jer dog

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Because it's night and day comparison to the 1-3 day boats. Would you rather have your dinner that comes from a can or the freezer or have it all made from scratch and eat like a king? A smelley bunk room or a state room?? Top sirloin steak or filet mignon? The list goes on and on and they are pretty comparable in price when you add up the nickle and dimes that are charged from "The Other Boats". You get what you pay for, and The Long Range Boats will never let you down, especially service and amenities!
I'm aware of the differences as I've done the LR thing. I view the shorter trips as straight fishing trips and the long trips more as a vacation. So when it comes to local fishing I would stick with the boats/captains that do it on a daily basis. Pac Voyager is my favorite boat for that 2-3.5day range and Jeff is an awesome chef.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
ROYAL STAR!!!!!
I'm taking a few friend next year on there 1st LR trip and I think they will be hooked.
Plus at $ 1000.00 for a 3 day with all the meals on a premier boat you can't beat it..
I leave in 14 days on my 7 day and can't wait.
That goes to show you people don't look at what you get on a long range boat for the price you per day! One day on the "So called limited load boats (60-80 foot boats) carry more passengers than some of the long range boats,, And their paying $300 for an over night trip, sleeping in a smelly bunk room and everyone wants to fish the stern and doesn't believe to follow your line, Half of the people are shit faced drunk before the boat even leaves the dock. The $300 for an overnight trip doesn't even include your meals in the price!! Don't be surprised if those over night trip hooks you with a fuel surcharge. You gotta love the $5.00 a beer and $4.00 a soda a lot of overnight boats charge now a days, compared to the L.R Boats at $2.00 beer and $1.00 soda's. L.R boats are worth every penny you spend!

Reactions: jer dog