Which long range boats are best for taller anglers?

baaadlybent

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
I just returned from a four day on the Searcher. I got a longer bunk which worked fine for me (I'm 6'5"). The bunk was about 6'6". Doable. But the galley was less than 6'5" and I kept smacking the top of my head, which I ABSOLUTELY HATE! There's got to be lots of taller guys who have similar experiences. Which of the nicer long range boats work for you, for both bunks and ceiling? I remember the Excel was ok in both regards. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    The Independence, 6'4 and no problems 3 person staterooms have one really long bunk

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    I don’t think the Star has a single bunk under 7’

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
    Upvote 0

potuna

Unknown member
  • Jul 23, 2011
    San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
    I agree on head smacking on the searcher, hate that. Only boat I’ve been on that was an issue.

Upvote 0

baaadlybent

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 5, 2006
    Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    Just want to clarify my trip on the Searcher was excellent. I'm not complaining at all. We limited on BF, ate well, and they have a really cool crew who were fun to fish with. But I do like to stand up straight and not smack my big head into stuff!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    I just returned from a four day on the Searcher. I got a longer bunk which worked fine for me (I'm 6'5"). The bunk was about 6'6". Doable. But the galley was less than 6'5" and I kept smacking the top of my head, which I ABSOLUTELY HATE! There's got to be lots of taller guys who have similar experiences. Which of the nicer long range boats work for you, for both bunks and ceiling? I remember the Excel was ok in both regards. Thanks.
    I feel your pain! At 6'5" and then add boots, it can be a challenge on couple of boats. The Searcher and the Apollo have the least galley headroom. If you inform the boat when you make a reservation the bunk length should not be a problem. I also wear a straw hat as a bumper for when I run into low hanging objects...and doorways!

Great to hear you had a good trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
    Apr 5, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Excel
    The Excel does have a few shorter bunks. When you book, just email Jason and tell him that you're an overgrown Sasquatch and he'll make sure to keep you out of those rooms....it's only one or two I believe.

Upvote 0

SouthBayTom

Aug 29, 2003
    xxx
    Visit site
    Name
    xxx
    Boat
    xxx
    I'm height "challenged" but have fished with a lot of guys your height on the Royal Star and never heard any concerns about the bunks or ceiling.

Doing the over/under shuffle with the tall ones can be a little dicey...

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Just want to clarify my trip on the Searcher was excellent. I'm not complaining at all. We limited on BF, ate well, and they have a really cool crew who were fun to fish with. But I do like to stand up straight and not smack my big head into stuff!
    LUCKY you're not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar LOL

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT to see you got some real input here! LOT of good answers.

More than the guy asking where Mackerel would be tomorrow out of Mission Bay. LOL

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I am 6'5" and have never ridden anything other than the Excel. I have had NO problems anywhere on that boat.
    I am 6'2 and fished a 16 day in one of the upper staterooms...I had to sleep bent for all 16 days as I couldn't stretch out...Told me later I should have let them know I was a big guy....I have fished it other times with large bunks...but not all bunks are large.....key is to let whatever boat you are on know that you are tall. I was in some room in the Bow of the Star that I think was 3 feet longer than me....

Upvote 0