Which grease

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by bearinla, Jan 5, 2010.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    bad news (well at least for me)
    I tear the reel down and put everything back together is the order shown in the schematic but still 7# drag pressure, then I cleaned all the Cal's grease from the drag washers and got 7#-8#, also tried it different configuration on the spring washers from "( )" to ") (" and it looks that I got 9# drag pressure and that's it, nada, nothing more.

as a side note, it crossed my mind that my digital scale was not working correctly but my calcutta 400TE all buttoned down reached 17-18# drag pressure with recently greased drag washers by me with the same Cal's grease, even my abu 6500c3 reached 12# drag pressure.

2. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    i have no idea what's wrong, but it's not the carbontex drag washers and it's not the cal's grease. send me the reel and let me take a look. here's the post on shipping and service. alan

having your reels fixed here ......

3. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    should all metal drag washers be the same thick?

since I bought this reel used from a friend I've never meassured drag pressure until now, I notice that the first metal washer is thick, the second with small ears is real thin and the last one is REAL thick, even thicker that the first two together.

4. fknricter

fknricter Newbie

Name:
    mikey rivera
    Boat:
    malibu extreme
    sometimes when you put a good amount of grease on the drags, it takes a few pulls to get the excess grease out. maybe thats why you have a decrease in drag pressure? maybe give the reel a few good pulls with the drag pretty buttoned down and see if it changes at all, if not, id check out the washer arrangement.

5. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    which is the proper order?
    schematic only shows drag -metal (thin) - drag-metal w/ears-drag-metal (thick)

all that I know is the metal washer with small ears is should be in the middle, but which one is first the thiner or the thick one? (I dont even know if this is important or not)

6. NESSIE HUNTER

NESSIE HUNTER Registered fish offender

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    rubber duckie
    The thickest drag plate should be on top, that gives more even pressure to the stack..

It sounds like you have something out of order UNDER the star drag?? Making it a shorter stack therefore less pressure?? Wont tighten all the way!! ???
    Make sure you have the washer UNDER the main gear, and follow the order of washers, bellvilles ( ), spacers etc
    http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/STT20h-30h.pdf

I would suggest a new set of Carbontex, to make sure it has the proper thickness. No telling what some one may have put in there???

The Saltist is the easiest Reel to work on IMHO, it should not be a lot of trouble, UNLESS someone put in the wrongs washers or ??? (who knows)????

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    A new set of carbontex drag washers is on my way

I was wondering if by chance this lost of drag pressure could've happened if the previous owner used to leave the drag all buttoned down and never set it free while not fishing?

8. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    nope. there's something else wrong ..........

9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    i think the previous owner messed up something with the drag washers, because 2 of 3 drag whashers are real thin and they fold easily while the third one is just little bit thicker but much harder/stronger to fold, or what do you think, is that normal? (maybe they got very wet in the past, I hear that carbon fiber dont like water)

phisically 3 drag washers looks like new, no erosion or signs of been used in excess.
    since this has gone longer than I though I will post a pic of this last comment just for the records

10. baitcasterboy20

baitcasterboy20 Newbie

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    use daiwa hot sauce grease

11. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I just got back my Penn Baja Special (Original with Newel Gears and Tiburon Narrow Frame) From Alan Tani...I recommend this guy fully. I am a do it yourselfer...just couldn't figure out what the final problem was for not getting enough drag. Got my reel back from Alan and its going back into the lineup. Sweet this reel has so much sentimental values for me.

Check his website out. Your bound to find more answers there.

Fishing Reel Repair by Alan Tani - Index

12. fishpelagic

fishpelagic dan the fisherman

Name:
    dan
    Boat:
    wihich ever one i'm fishing on
    cals grease and reel x

13. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless

well, I couldn't take a side pic of how metal drags plates have different thickness, but I took some where you can apreciate how 2 of the drag washers have darker color than the other, the ones with darker color are much thinner and fold easily, the 3rd one in ligther color feels thick and stronger/harder to fold.
    also I show you all the pieces of the drive shaft in order.

(with and without camera flash)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks and think once the new carbontex drag washers arrive it's going to be problem solve.

PS: I not doubt that Alan Tani can fix this reel my last shoot will be new ser of carbontex if not then Im done

14. baitcasterboy20

baitcasterboy20 Newbie

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
  15. NESSIE HUNTER

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    rubber duckie
    What I see in the Schematic vs your pics, is a Bearing missing, At least it isnt in your pics???

Key #50, (part No G52-3401) in schematic of the 20H. (see link above)..???

It goes on top of the roller bearing.. This would, in effect, leave a gap in the stack under the star drag, and you would not be able to tighten it down...

The pattern on the drag washers look like the newer Daiwa Washers, it they were Carbontex the woven pattern would be very obvious & color would be consistent Black,,, and you would surely not be able to bend them (Snap!!)...

The older Daiwa Saltist washers are very smooth & less brittle...

16. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Bearing was installed in the right side reel cover that's why is not in the pic

a friend told me that it could be the inner tube (collar, part #38), he told me that he has an old sealine sl50sh that suffered this same problem of poor drag pressure from the drag star adjustments to the drag stack because that sleeve was too short, so he offered me to made a new one in his lathe if the new set of carbontex drag washer dont solve the problem.

thanks Frank

17. jorge91919

jorge91919 Newbie

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    SOLD!!!
    Cals grease and Corrosion X HD

18. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well since in my case anything that I buy online takes 3-4 weeks to arrive (mexico), and the new set of carbontex has still some days to come I was still messing with my reel to see was going on with this drag presure issue, so I went to the basics and was more an elimination than to try something new, so tryed the very first option and BUM!! presto!! the reel has the drag presure back, this is how I fix it

[​IMG]

yep, I took the spectra line out and put a short lace 50# izorline mono on it, with all the shame and embarrasment I have the say that the reel has 17-18# drag presure with smooth free spool and if I reallly lock the drag star it lose free spool +- 20# :o:o

so I have no more to say just thanks for your help and comments, sorry for hijack the thread and ONE MORE TIME Alan Tani was right, this is wha the told me at the very beggining in one PM
    yep, the spectra was slipping but I didnt even checked it because I put 2 rounds of electric tape on the spool and made a real tight anchor knot, it seems that I need to get back to my old method of put some mono line in the spool and then attach the spectra to it.
    I put back a small amount of cal's grease to the drag washer

cory, Frank, Alan gracias

19. NESSIE HUNTER

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    rubber duckie
    Ya, you cant beat Alan when it comes to reels, he is the man!!!!

Glad it was an easy fix for ya... Frustrating, but easy & cheap...