KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Yeah as Pat said. For your iPads and iPhone's TimeZero's "TZ iBoat is a good mobile app to use. I don't have TimeZero on my computer so I'm not sure if it's much different than the mobile version. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the apps use some of the same modeling.

Windy is a great app. I've read some about the guy that developed it. I think he's a Czech that wanted accurate wind info for Kite boarding et cetera. Supposedly he's the founder of the Czech version of Google, IE he has some coin in his pockets. What I had read a few years ago he was funding it out of his own pocket as he hadn't figured a way to monetize it but it looks like they have a premium version of it now. A bit of a timeline history of it here which is interesting.....to me. https://community.windy.com/topic/4/about-windy

A few years ago commercial fishing we were using a program called Bon Voyage which was a ship routing service that included weather routing. Good but expensive so the company I worked for finally quit paying for it. We switched over to Windy which was more than adequate. It loaded ok with through our SAT systems. Then for a couple years before I retired I was using Windy and also GRIB files read by our OLEX plotter/bottom mapping program. The GRIB's in that program were cool especially crossing the Gulf as you could have your route programed, then OLEX would graphically show you what type of weather you should have along our route. I had it programed to upload new GRIBS every six hours. It seemed though both Windy and the GRIBS's at times especially in the bring your gear aboard, stop fishing and jog type of weather, IE 45 to 50 knots + Windy and Olex were always 10 knots or so less. We'd be getting our ass kicked with substantially higher winds than what the programs were telling us. Nothing is 100% when it comes to weather.

One thing about Windy, one of their models ECMWF that they use is supposed to be one of the best predictors. I've read that elsewhere, not just off the Windy site. Windy does give you the choice of three other models also. With the various apps it might all boil down what graphics you like. I like both Windy and TZ iboat.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Pussies. Sunday was fine. If you fish the forecast you will sit on the dock a lot. We left at 5:15 AM, and we’re back at 11:15 with 7 limits of lings and Butts. You don’t even have the option of turning around if you don’t leave at all🤷‍♂️
    I have a few videos but they are to big to load. Ocean was fine Sunday. Made 18-20 knots the first 25 miles. 14-15 the last 6 miles. 24 knots the whole way home.

View attachment 1280666

View attachment 1280668

Easy to say when you are in a 30' watertank😉

Reactions: TimeZoned
    Upvote 0

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
    Apr 27, 2013
    Port Orchard
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24’ Hewes Alaskan
    Pussies. Sunday was fine. If you fish the forecast you will sit on the dock a lot. We left at 5:15 AM, and we’re back at 11:15 with 7 limits of lings and Butts. You don’t even have the option of turning around if you don’t leave at all

Easy for you to say. We are doing this for pleasure and not our livelihood. We only get 4 fish so there is no reason to take an ass kicking when there are still lots of days on calendar still.

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    I use GRIB weather files -- produced by NWS, and available for free. Extensive data available. In my experience, they are usually more accurate than windy or NOAA (although I believe NOAA uses the same data). In planning a multi-day trip, I usually look at GRIB, Windy and NOAA and one of my buddies checks his/other sources. They usually all in general agreement. For coastal fishing, including out to say Cortez, I will ignore an outlier since we will always be close enough to a safe harbor to duck in if things don't go as planned. I can't remember a time that GRIB was the outlier and wrong. (Disclaimer: I am referring to near term forecasts -- GRIB forecasts can go out 14 days, and those often change substantially before reality arrives). There are free viewers for GRIB files, but Furuno has it built in (in fact, it will fetch the specific data you want, over the internet, at the push of a button; If interent isn't available, you can download the file other ways, including satphone and SSB. And you can set it up to have the file automatically emailed to you.)
    Bumping this... this is heavy weather nerd stuff... but the more you know... haven’t seen LuckGrib mentioned yet, but basically has accesses to GRIB files from just about every weather model in existence, with an interface better than any of the other mentioned apps.

For wind our area short term (36 hr or less) I like the NOAA High Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR); for medium term, I like the National Blend of Models (NBM Ocean). The deterministic models(GFS Ensemble) are also useful when system timing becomes important, basically it tweaks the inputs, and will give you the certainty of the predicted wind.

10272EF9-C884-412B-9C16-FAE08FB8850B.png

26E32292-572D-4F07-B558-B240D7FDA0A1.jpg

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Bumping this... this is heavy weather nerd stuff... but the more you know... haven’t seen LuckGrib mentioned yet, but basically has accesses to GRIB files from just about every weather model in existence, with an interface better than any of the other mentioned apps.

For wind our area short term (36 hr or less) I like the NOAA High Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR); for medium term, I like the National Blend of Models (NBM Ocean). The deterministic models(GFS Ensemble) are also useful when system timing becomes important, basically it tweaks the inputs, and will give you the certainty of the predicted wind.

View attachment 1283284

View attachment 1283285
    Thanks on this. I just downloaded it and it looks like it'll be a great app with all the models covered. It'll be fun to play with it.

Upvote 0

MarkFromSea

Piscatologist
    Jun 10, 2012
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    "Solo"
    Upvote 0