Which forecast do you rely on?

StabiCruiser

Feb 26, 2021
Snohomish
Name
Joe
Boat
Stabicraft 2250
Like the title says, there are a ton of options for marine forecasts available. NOAA, windy, wind alert, bouy weather, ect. I make a habit of checking them all before heading out if things look iffy. Sometimes the variance from source to source can be 5-10kts and 1-2ft seas, that can make the difference between enjoyable and sporty, or the difference between iffy and dangerous. I never used to care so much about weather forecast, I’d just go unless it was a blatantly bad idea once I got to the launch. Now, I’ve got my 2 boys 4 and 7 with me most trips out, our window of acceptable weather is smaller to make sure things stay safe and enjoyable for everyone.

Reactions: jiggermyster

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I have been using an app called Nautical Eye. I have found that it is extremely accurate in The straits and San juans. A lot of the old salts claim how you can't ever trust weather apps or the weather man but this one hasn't been wrong for me yet. I think our data collection and weather prediction has got a lot better since the 1980s, they have it pretty dialed in in places where we have lots of sensors.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I use GRIB weather files -- produced by NWS, and available for free. Extensive data available. In my experience, they are usually more accurate than windy or NOAA (although I believe NOAA uses the same data). In planning a multi-day trip, I usually look at GRIB, Windy and NOAA and one of my buddies checks his/other sources. They usually all in general agreement. For coastal fishing, including out to say Cortez, I will ignore an outlier since we will always be close enough to a safe harbor to duck in if things don't go as planned. I can't remember a time that GRIB was the outlier and wrong. (Disclaimer: I am referring to near term forecasts -- GRIB forecasts can go out 14 days, and those often change substantially before reality arrives). There are free viewers for GRIB files, but Furuno has it built in (in fact, it will fetch the specific data you want, over the internet, at the push of a button; If interent isn't available, you can download the file other ways, including satphone and SSB. And you can set it up to have the file automatically emailed to you.)

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
I dont know if it's my inherent distrust of government orgs but NOAA seems to be the least accurate as of late. I have used a combination of NOAA, windy and magic seaweed and noaa seems to regularly over report conditions. Windy and magic seaweed seem more accurate. I still use all 3 and also wind finder and try to assume an average.

Upvote 0

QwikSticks

Chucka
Jun 30, 2008
Brier, WA
Name
Brian M
Boat
Parker 2320
Windy has all the forecasts - you can click through them. For example last Sunday all looked good except the NAM forecast which is what NOAA was using that day. NOAA always grabs the worst of the 4 or 5 forecast you can look at on Windy.

Reactions: Elkfins and A-K
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Buoy weather is pretty good.

Reactions: C-Dawg
Upvote 0

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
i use windy pro.
for those who arent using the paid version yet....
i looked at doing a 1 year subscription, clicked on it...looked at it...didnt buy it.
the next day i got an offer for 50% off

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Offshore or Puget Sound? For offshore, I like windy and MSW. Puget Sound... local pressure gradients can kick up a lot of wind even when it isn’t in any forecast.

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Whichever I am invited onto
Here’s my general lineup of apps. I also have several buoys bookmarked on my browser and, of course, the regional NOAA site. I also use Weatherunderground for a look at the on-land forecast.

Which “Windy” app are you all referencing? I have two ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
68A52D6B-3A95-4231-A75F-0C0B4AB361F4.jpg

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
I use the red windy..windyty.

Also along the same discussion lines... anyone noticed the offshore NOAA bouys offline the last couple months. I like live updates when possible but the Western straights hasn't been active nor has the gh bouy...

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
I usually use NOAA and not to say that NOAA is accurate (seems that noaa models must find report one of the worse predictions for any given area) but since it is usually off in predictable ways that means in the places I fish if you fish there often you can look at a noaa 1-3 day forecast and get a pretty good idea for what conditions are actually going to look like.
I look at some others like windyty and they are cool but I don’t know how to interpret them as well for real conditions.

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
I havent seen anybody post Sailflow yet. I use it primarily and Windy or NOAA for a second opinion.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    gh bouy has been up for me the last 2 weeks.
    Windy.com is my main app, then NOAA pinpoint.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Well, after looking at several sites last night and discussing with other locals, several of us called todays trip....hell it was better than Thursday...got to stick your nose out and not always buy what they are selling.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Pussies. Sunday was fine. If you fish the forecast you will sit on the dock a lot. We left at 5:15 AM, and we’re back at 11:15 with 7 limits of lings and Butts. You don’t even have the option of turning around if you don’t leave at all🤷‍♂️
    I have a few videos but they are to big to load. Ocean was fine Sunday. Made 18-20 knots the first 25 miles. 14-15 the last 6 miles. 24 knots the whole way home.

47C7944B-AB14-4852-8DD0-637D3ED83BE1.jpeg

F0C7B002-4A31-4F4B-A09F-5648391178A5.jpeg

Upvote 0