Which epirb do you use

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Fishwacker1, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Fishwacker1

Fishwacker1 Member

Name:
    Rodney
    Boat:
    Western Quest 27 North River Offshore
    I would like to buy an epirb this year before we head to Neah in a couple weeks. There is a bunch out there and I was wondering what one others here use. Would the acr 2831 global fix v4 gp be ok. It seems to be the cheapest one I can find for $350

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    That's the one to get, longer service life than the others, user replaceable battery.

The slightly more expensive 2844 has 1 watt more output power and longer transmission time. Two features that I am hoping you would never need in our fisheries (<100 miles out)

3. A-K

A-K Member

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    I have the ACR 2844. I think the battery is good for 6 years before it gets sent in for a refresh. Youre need to test them every month, per the directions.

4. iddooer

iddooer Member

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
    FYI there was a place in seattle that put in a new batter for my acr2844 for right around 100 when it expired. Quick turnaround too Ill try to find the name and post it here

5. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    ? http://www.marinesafetyseattle.com/

6. Fishwacker1

Fishwacker1 Member

Name:
    Rodney
    Boat:
    Best I can tell the 2831 is a manual alert. I don’t think this would work in say a rouge wave situation. Is there one recommend for submerged alert and manual

7. A-K

A-K Member

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    When I was doing my research I selected the manual. I believe the automatic or submerged will only deploy at the predetermined factory depth. I also chose the manual because most boats have enough positive floatation they may not activate the automatic.

8. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    From my reading the 2831 and 2844 BOTH activate in water. The 2844 has to be out of the bracket, while the 2831 does NOT. If you aren't going to keep it in a hydro release bracket, its all kind of moot, because it will be underwater if you don't get it out of the bracket.

The 2844 does also transmit at 1 watt higher than the 2831, but only has a 6 year shelf life with a battery that must be replaced by a certified center. The 2831 has a 10 year battery that can be replaced by the user. 2844.JPG 2831.JPG

A-K likes this.
  9. Chtucker

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Also the hydrostatic releases if you go that route are supposed to be replaced every two years. Just food for thought when considering the mounting bracket style. I would go with the 2831. I kept my 2844 which has been stored inside cabin. More the merrier. 2844 is secured on shelf, 2831 is accessible by all in the cabin and I am looking at PLBs for the vests.

10. BluWatR

BluWatR Underway is the only way

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Boat Ho
    I was a search and rescue planner for the CG for 6 yrs both active duty and civilian. The success rates climbed drastically with EPIRB and I would encourage everyone to have one on your boat. Personally I think the hydrostatic release is the way to go although it may lead to some false alerts getting jostled in the weather. The CG won't hold that against you, just keep your registration with NOAA up to date and ensure it's a GPIRB which will send your GPS coordinates on the initial notification. I'm sure it's a moot point now and all are outfitted with that. You want 406 to get data to the geo stationary satellites and if it includes your position success for finding increases. The 121.5 signal is more for direction finding for rescue assets. Very important but, ensure whatever your purchase also includes position on the 406 data burst.

Genie Aye likes this.
  11. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    I have the ACR PLB-375 attach everytime I hit the water

rickstah and Joelsk15 like this.
  12. DaKanati

DaKanati Captain

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    I have the acr aqualink and the acr rapid ditch bag that has the holder on the side and has flotation built into it. It always sits next to my helm chair and everyone knows if something goes wrong to grab that bag!

Genie Aye likes this.
  13. Fishwacker1

Fishwacker1 Member

Name:
    Rodney
    Boat:
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I ordered a acr 2831 manual release and will be mounting it somewhere in the cabin. Is there some kind of monthly charge for useing one of these like spot use to be? Or is it as simple as press the button if needed

14. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    No monthly charge and hopefully you will never needed it/or push a button

Genie Aye likes this.
  15. xtshawytscha

xtshawytscha Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
    I also have mine in a ditch bag with portable vhf, flares and mirror. I didn't like having it attached in the cabin. Everyone knows you grab that bag if something happens!

16. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls
    I use ARC Aqualink PLB and marine Greatland laser flare green color (best and brightest color)

17. OMEGA

OMEGA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MCS
    Boat:
    40 Cabo FB
    ACR manual epirb in ditchbag with handhelf vhf and flares among other things including bottled water. Ditchbag is in non electrical storage area next to liferaft and easily accessible. An automatic epirb is on hardtop as well.