Which CC boat should I buy in the 50k range?

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
We are a family of 4. Been in the market for a few weeks now. We have owned a small 17' skiff in the past but sold it when my oldest son was born and we weren't use it. Now my boys are at the age where I'd like to get out and enjoy the seas with them and my wife.

50k range seems to be our budget where we feel comfortable. I have looked at the robalo r200, 20' striper cc (I don't remember model), mako 214, and the 24' thresher boats.

The robalo r200 is nice. It's freeboard is high, looks great, but kinda crammed for space. The pice is good at about 51k after options.

The 20' cc striper, I didn't really spent to much time looking at. I see it a lot while fishing. Someone I knew awhile ago that is an avid fishermen told me to not buy a striper. This was over 6 years ago. I did notice great feature on this boat. But the price was around 57k.

Mako 214, had me really thinking that I found what I was looking for. Mako name has been known to me for years. It also was around 58k after options. Trying to get info on it I found horrible reviews on tracker the manufacturer of mako on consumer affairs.

Thresher boats, is a new company. Seen the owner Brandon reply back to a few posts about his company here at bdoutdoors. I have seen the 21' boats at his showroom but I've only seen the 24' in pictures. The 24' is priced at 50k.

Any suggestions? I'll be going to bass pro today to look at mako just to see it in person. My wife thinks it would be a good idea to wait for the Fred hall show. Is the savings worth the wait?

What is most important when picking a boat? Does the manufacturer of the outboard matter these days? Seems like there are no bad reviews on any of the known 4 strokes like honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and murcary.

TAPOUT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
You sure you want a CC with two kids and a wife? Of the manufacturers you cited, Robalo is probably the best quality. As far as motors, look at who can service your motor that is reasonably close to you. Makes a big difference in the long run.

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
You sure you want a CC with two kids and a wife? Of the manufacturers you cited, Robalo is probably the best quality. As far as motors, look at who can service your motor that is reasonably close to you. Makes a big difference in the long run.
A center console might not be the absolute best situation now. But as my kids grow the room on a CC will be better used than a boat with a cuddy. Having a porta patty is important tho.

I'll start looking into who can service near me. Ty for replying

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
i know where a 21cc parker is with yamaha f150 for next to nothing........

Reactions: fishinfanatic22

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Have you considered used boats that are a few years old with a warranty?
Get a 75k boat for 50k already rigged with electronics.
Happy hunting!

Reactions: Alan

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
The Defiance 22 is a fishing machine you should compare with if you can find one used. But first figure out what you will use the boat for 80% of the time now and project out another 6-8 years and Start there. Don't compromise too much. I did the D200 and always pined for the 22 or 25 but my budget said no. 6-8 years later my budget said I should have paid for the bigger boat in the beginning. Getting a new boat is way better than Christmas! I just did it[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgy

May 29, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Name
James
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
You can get an awesome used boat for that price. If i had $50k, I'd look at a used Hydra-Sports 2500, Regulator 23, Contender 24, Sailfish, Albermarle, or classic Mako. I have a Hydra-Sport 2400 Vector and it's the best riding boat I've been on in this size. Handles great in rough seas and I have never felt unsafe yet. Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid to look at the deals from the east coast. You'll find the boat you want at the right price. Especially how since boating season is coming to an end.

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
I'm looking into the used boats now. You guys are making sense.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Most bang for your buck, superior quality, great return on your investment....... of all the boats and links I have seen mentioned, and what you are looking for....... none come close to the recent 24' Whaler that is currently for sale on BD. Waaay under your budget and a ton of quality boat for the money!!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
What do you know about the compression? 125 hours on the boat after 13 years is low. Not saying it's impossible for it to be so low, but it's worth questioning. I've had 2 people say that the compression was either done incorrectly or the engine is tired. I saw the boat in person and it's looks great.
As far as the test being done incorrectly. Is the test being done while the engine is cold incorrect? And if so why did that shop do it that way?

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
If you like the boat, take it to a Dealer of your choice and have them check the motor. Based on their feedback and a complete survey, you can present a realistic offer to the Seller. As stated, Whaler resale values are very good. GL.

Winstondry

Winstondry
Dec 16, 2003
San Diego
Name
Alain
Boat
Ranger Z520L
I have an '08 Robalo R240 that I bought last year for close to your price. Great boat! Talk to Erick, Janelle or Tim at Tilly's Marine. Good people.

get some

So Cal Editor
BD Writer
May 1, 2005
LBC
Name
Erik
Boat
Robalo 226 Cayman
I'd take a look at the Robalo 226 Cayman. It's technically a bay boat but handles open water better than most center consoles. I've taken mine everywhere from Point Conception to San Clemente Island and well into Mexican waters over the last year and not once have I encountered conditions where I wished I had an actual center console vs the bay boat. The biggest bonus is the amount of fishing room and stability while fishing.

Reactions: 7raptor

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
i'd look for a newer boat, a few years old with low hours... Lots of options on THT, save some money and haul it over.

Sailfish, contender, etc... lots of options at 50k... 23-26ft..

Winstondry

Winstondry
Dec 16, 2003
San Diego
Name
Alain
Boat
Ranger Z520L
Good advice, I actually did that. My R240 is out of Florida. There are great deals to be had out there.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
A little research might show you that Boston Whalers as a brand have held higher resell values than most any brand. I have actually made a profit selling them after great times utilizing them.

The price of new boats have seen large increases in the past 5 years so there is value in seeking an under utilized used boat. I've always targeted used, from weathly sellers that weren't worried about grinding out the price, they wanted the boat gone for whatever reason.

Power plant is key, 4 stroke outboard is best, & Yamaha proves logical time and again. However, some great running, reliable Yamaha 2 stroke powered boats can be tremendous values.

7raptor

happy to be here
Sep 18, 2004
The Islands
Name
yup
Boat
A Big One
Get a ROBALO CAYMAN. New. With a warranty.

246 or 226 with a YAMAHA - runs on 87 pump gas.

I have the 246. Handles our local stuff great. Lots of room for the kids and plenty of areas to sit and hold on.

Call Erik @ Tillys Ventura and tell him Ash sent you.

7raptor

happy to be here
Sep 18, 2004
The Islands
Name
yup
Boat
A Big One
I'd take a look at the Robalo 226 Cayman. It's technically a bay boat but handles open water better than most center consoles. I've taken mine everywhere from Point Conception to San Clemente Island and well into Mexican waters over the last year and not once have I encountered conditions where I wished I had an actual center console vs the bay boat. The biggest bonus is the amount of fishing room and stability while fishing.
Second that!