Which CC boat should I buy in the 50k range?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Hye, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Hye

Hye Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    We are a family of 4. Been in the market for a few weeks now. We have owned a small 17' skiff in the past but sold it when my oldest son was born and we weren't use it. Now my boys are at the age where I'd like to get out and enjoy the seas with them and my wife.

50k range seems to be our budget where we feel comfortable. I have looked at the robalo r200, 20' striper cc (I don't remember model), mako 214, and the 24' thresher boats.

The robalo r200 is nice. It's freeboard is high, looks great, but kinda crammed for space. The pice is good at about 51k after options.

The 20' cc striper, I didn't really spent to much time looking at. I see it a lot while fishing. Someone I knew awhile ago that is an avid fishermen told me to not buy a striper. This was over 6 years ago. I did notice great feature on this boat. But the price was around 57k.

Mako 214, had me really thinking that I found what I was looking for. Mako name has been known to me for years. It also was around 58k after options. Trying to get info on it I found horrible reviews on tracker the manufacturer of mako on consumer affairs.

Thresher boats, is a new company. Seen the owner Brandon reply back to a few posts about his company here at bdoutdoors. I have seen the 21' boats at his showroom but I've only seen the 24' in pictures. The 24' is priced at 50k.

Any suggestions? I'll be going to bass pro today to look at mako just to see it in person. My wife thinks it would be a good idea to wait for the Fred hall show. Is the savings worth the wait?

What is most important when picking a boat? Does the manufacturer of the outboard matter these days? Seems like there are no bad reviews on any of the known 4 strokes like honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and murcary.

2. TAPOUT

TAPOUT Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
    You sure you want a CC with two kids and a wife? Of the manufacturers you cited, Robalo is probably the best quality. As far as motors, look at who can service your motor that is reasonably close to you. Makes a big difference in the long run.

Alan, Northeastfshman and s//m_cinco like this.
  3. Hye

Hye Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    A center console might not be the absolute best situation now. But as my kids grow the room on a CC will be better used than a boat with a cuddy. Having a porta patty is important tho.

I'll start looking into who can service near me. Ty for replying

4. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I would look at a used grady walk around with 4 strokes. Something in the 25' range is perfect for here.

Alan, fishfish and s//m_cinco like this.
  5. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    hbouldin1216 likes this.
  6. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    brokenseal likes this.
  7. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    i know where a 21cc parker is with yamaha f150 for next to nothing........

fishinfanatic22 likes this.
  8. dcarlisle

dcarlisle Captain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    33' custom
    Have you considered used boats that are a few years old with a warranty?
    Get a 75k boat for 50k already rigged with electronics.
    Happy hunting!

Alan likes this.
  9. captainsdc

captainsdc Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Shopping for something else
    The Defiance 22 is a fishing machine you should compare with if you can find one used. But first figure out what you will use the boat for 80% of the time now and project out another 6-8 years and Start there. Don't compromise too much. I did the D200 and always pined for the 22 or 25 but my budget said no. 6-8 years later my budget said I should have paid for the bigger boat in the beginning. Getting a new boat is way better than Christmas! I just did it[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    You can get an awesome used boat for that price. If i had $50k, I'd look at a used Hydra-Sports 2500, Regulator 23, Contender 24, Sailfish, Albermarle, or classic Mako. I have a Hydra-Sport 2400 Vector and it's the best riding boat I've been on in this size. Handles great in rough seas and I have never felt unsafe yet. Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid to look at the deals from the east coast. You'll find the boat you want at the right price. Especially how since boating season is coming to an end.

11. duckbutter6a

duckbutter6a Florida man living in SoCal

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  12. Hye

Hye Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    I'm looking into the used boats now. You guys are making sense.

13. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Most bang for your buck, superior quality, great return on your investment....... of all the boats and links I have seen mentioned, and what you are looking for....... none come close to the recent 24' Whaler that is currently for sale on BD. Waaay under your budget and a ton of quality boat for the money!!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Vigilant32 and bparker1225 like this.
  14. Hye

Hye Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    What do you know about the compression? 125 hours on the boat after 13 years is low. Not saying it's impossible for it to be so low, but it's worth questioning. I've had 2 people say that the compression was either done incorrectly or the engine is tired. I saw the boat in person and it's looks great.
    As far as the test being done incorrectly. Is the test being done while the engine is cold incorrect? And if so why did that shop do it that way?

15. TAPOUT

TAPOUT Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
    If you like the boat, take it to a Dealer of your choice and have them check the motor. Based on their feedback and a complete survey, you can present a realistic offer to the Seller. As stated, Whaler resale values are very good. GL.

marlyn and ?? fisherman like this.
  16. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    Buy a whaler , if it's in your budget , step up to a whaler guardian.... bullet proof , and will hold it's value.

Vigilant32 likes this.
  17. Hye

Hye Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    I appreciate the advice. I'll keep you posted.

18. Winstondry

Winstondry Winstondry

Name:
    Alain
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
    I have an '08 Robalo R240 that I bought last year for close to your price. Great boat! Talk to Erick, Janelle or Tim at Tilly's Marine. Good people.

19. Hye

Hye Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    I have spoke to Erick. I agree good people.

20. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    I'd take a look at the Robalo 226 Cayman. It's technically a bay boat but handles open water better than most center consoles. I've taken mine everywhere from Point Conception to San Clemente Island and well into Mexican waters over the last year and not once have I encountered conditions where I wished I had an actual center console vs the bay boat. The biggest bonus is the amount of fishing room and stability while fishing.

7raptor likes this.