Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
I'm set with one of each from 20 to 80#, [6 rigs] for an up coming 3 dayer. I can probably stretch the 80 to 100 and 60 to 80 if needed. Don't want to bore you with the specific rods/reels but thinking I should add a back-up. Which # would be the 1st to double up on?
Thanks,
Mick

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    If the goal is big tuna, you will find two complete outfits will be handy. I rig one with lures and the other with a sardine/sinker rig. And just for fun if the tuna are not VW's slashing the surface, it is nice to have a good spinning outfit along. You can get 400 yards of 80# braid on a Shimano Spheros 20K and with a good rod you are not out that much money, and anything up to sixty pounds or so is a Dead Fish Swimming. Maybe larger, I haven't connected with anything bigger on a popper.

Reactions: hucklongfin
    Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    I always have 2 of 30, 40, and 80. Don't like to be down rigging when they decide to play. Lighter ones rigged all fly line and I have the 80 rigged 1 sinker, 1 jig.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    as mentioned, if this trip is "triple digit or bust" for the entire 3 days go with a backup 80# in case of "massive equipment failure". If its a normal trip that will work a school of any size under that, start with a backup (or 2) of 40#.
    If you break off on the 80#, the re-rigging will take place as you catch your breath from fighting a triple digit fish. ;)
    If you break off on the current 20-40# 'schoolies', you wont be needing such a long rest period. :)

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    If you have a true 100# rig I would bring it. Rig the 80# for sinker rig and use the 100# for night jigs.

Reactions: ChicoBob
    hucklongfin
    hucklongfin
    That was what I did. 80# for sinker rig and 100# for flat fall. I had 2 60# for day time use... one for sinker rig and one for jigs.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    double up on the 60. one for sinker n one for daytime jig. 80/100 for nite. 40, 30, 25 for fly line. that’s what i wud do.

have great trip

Upvote 0