yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Looking to upgrade my jig stick. Going to match it with a Torium 16 or 20 with 40lb. Will mostly throw 45's and 7x.
Never owned a Phoenix so thinking of going that way but I'm open to anything.

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
I too like the Phenix Derek but prefer the United Composites US80 Monster for my 40lb jig stick. Just as light but feels much stronger.
Shoot me a pm if you are also considering this blank and I'll let ya borrow it.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
No. They have the CE model built up for very reasonable price. With or without reel seat . I know Charkbait has them. That's where I got mine.

I love this stick.

Upvote 0

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
I throw 40 on a grafighter 850h and 850m cut to 8' and love them
328ef7c96777146cd5ef24e63e0dd82c.jpg

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
I do believe Charkbait carries the assembled Factory CE composite model in 8 ft Monster. It is a heavier blank than the US80 (all graphite) blank but still very light when built in a jigstick(non reel seat) configuration. Good luck .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
90J and cut it all from the bottom.....

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Yeah all the "hot shots" say that....I'll put me throwing an 8ft against anyone and their 9 or 10ft

You lose that one all day long....sorry

Besides alot of the distance also comes from the reel, the line and the type of jig you are throwing and the confidence you have throwing a jig but it sounds like you have the confidence part down

8 ft rods are hybrids......they can double as bait sticks or throwing the iron but make no mistake about it.......a good Harnell, 90J or Ulua and others in the 9-10 ft range are true jig sticks.

I also use a 765 ( 6'6" ) for throwing jigs and bombs for wahoo and of course a 610 or 610H (7') for wahoo as they were and still are some of the best wahoo rods arounds

That being said.....I love using my OC Rods 8 ft for throwing jigs......loads up great and has good balance

Let us know how it turns out with the Phenix rod.....I'm always open to something new

Upvote 0

Bigfishhateme

Semper Fi
Feb 7, 2013
Land , Air , and Sea
Name
Sigmund
Boat
"The Sea Monster"
Yeah all the "hot shots" say that....I'll put me throwing an 8ft against anyone and their 9 or 10ft

Hmm...you sound like a "hot shots".
You can fish the surface plug with anything you want , Whatever is best for you..
I say true jigsticks 9 ft and up to preserve TRADITION of West Coast jig slinging..
Fishing the long rod is not casting competition , it all bout presentation..

Last edited:
Reactions: 18parker
Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The Teramars casts very well. I used the MH and H last year and liked them. The MH throws the Tady well. I do own the Phenix 8', 6480, Tady 10' and others to. May add the Teramars (9') this year. They come with reel seats too.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sep 22, 2003
    San Diego,Ca
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    complicated
    You lose that one all day long....sorry

Besides alot of the distance also comes from the reel, the line and the type of jig you are throwing and the confidence you have throwing a jig but it sounds like you have the confidence part down

8 ft rods are hybrids......they can double as bait sticks or throwing the iron but make no mistake about it.......a good Harnell, 90J or Ulua and others in the 9-10 ft range are true jig sticks.

I also use a 765 ( 6'6" ) for throwing jigs and bombs for wahoo and of course a 610 or 610H (7') for wahoo as they were and still are some of the best wahoo rods arounds

That being said.....I love using my OC Rods 8 ft for throwing jigs......loads up great and has good balance

Let us know how it turns out with the Phenix rod.....I'm always open to something new
    Just saying 90+% of guys with there 10ft Sticks don't throw any farther than me me throwing my 8ft. Not saying im any great iron slinger just saying...I was the 16yr old back in the day with my 10ft 540 beating myfelf up just to look cool...Are there guys out there that can actually get the most out of a 10ft stick?? YES but VERY far and few between.

Upvote 0