Which 3/4 Day Landing/Boat For Tuna?

PENN

gelzero

Jun 23, 2005
Name
AP
Boat
None
I think I'm going to make the trek down from Ventura County to get on one of these San Diego 3/4 day boats for a shot at my first Tuna. Which landing and boat is going to give me the best experience? I don't mind paying a little more for a better experience. I'm sure it's going to be a cattle boat no matter what since the fishing has been great. I've fished the islands locally so I know a little bit, but never gone out for Tuna offshore. Also, any tips and tricks you guys can lend me would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

jakejake527

Mar 5, 2012
~ ~ ~ Oceanside ~ ~ ~
Name
Jake
Boat
i went on the mission belle yesterday. runnin' and gunnin' all day. chaos at times.

46 people on board. averaged 2 yellowfin and 2 yellowtail each.

i took home 5 yellowfin and 3 yellows. got bit on the slide everytime

i don't think you can go wrong with any 3/4 day right now. couple 30lb dodos caught also

Reactions: rile-b-fishn
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I think I'm going to make the trek down from Ventura County to get on one of these San Diego 3/4 day boats for a shot at my first Tuna. Which landing and boat is going to give me the best experience? I don't mind paying a little more for a better experience. I'm sure it's going to be a cattle boat no matter what since the fishing has been great. I've fished the islands locally so I know a little bit, but never gone out for Tuna offshore. Also, any tips and tricks you guys can lend me would be greatly appreciated.
for a little bit more money do an overnight trip. You will have a bunk to sleep in and you will be on the fishing grounds at dawn. The loads are lighter as well.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
San Diego out of Seaforth no questions ask. The San Diego with 50 people fishes a lot more comfortably then the Mission Belle with 45.

Plus, RSW on the San Diego keeps your fish in tip top shape. Plus free parking at Seaforth. Plus Booger is one of the fishiest dudes on the planet.

Reactions: mafrancis66
Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
We saw the San Diego out there yesterday hooked up. It would be my choice for a 3/4 day boat.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Booked my trip on the San Diego. Any tips for an offshore newbie like myself?
    Stay out of tangles.
    When you get in one, cut your line immediately and tie on a new hook. Keep hooks on your person.
    Stay out of tangles.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    Use lots of elbow, when casting. After you accidentally smash a couple dudes in the head, you will find yourself with a lot more room.:D

Reactions: Steveo77
    Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    Bounce your rod off peoples heads when doing the tuna shuffle, it's the local custom.. :D

Upvote 0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Name
    Chris Reynolds
    Boat
    turn around
    LISTEN TO THE DECKHANDS!! Do what they tell you. Very important to always always always make damn sure your bait is in front of you. Following your bait will help avoid tangled lines. If your bait is going to the right you should be going right. You will not catch fish if you are tangled up. Generally if your bait hits the water at the stern it will take you a few minutes to get to the bow. Once your at the bow reel it in change bait and start the cattle boat shuffle over.I cant tell you how many people want to stay in one place and not follow their line .you're only going to piss off the crew and other people fishing if you are the one constantly causing tangles. More fish are lost because some idiot lets his line cross everyone else... the next thing you need to remember is people who are hooked up on a fish have priority on the rail. Get out of the way if they need to get by let them. The captain and crew of these boats do this day in and day out they dont tell you what to do because they want to be mean. They tell you because they want everyone to have a good time and get fish.. remember that not moving, following your line, not giving people space to get down the rail to fight the fish will usually result in a bad experience and some sore ribs when you get an elbow to the side..
    I am a very big fan of H&M LANDINGS overnight trips. The SEA Adventure II is a great boat to start with. The crew is top notch and will do everything in their power to make sure you have a great time.. but on the flip side avoid fishing on the" Old Glory " at all cost. By far the worst captain and crew in the entire San Diego fleet.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0