Which 100lb Pink Fluorocarbon?

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
I'm making wind-ons and am looking for some thoughts on which brand and style 100lb Pink Fluoro guys are using (Yo-Zuri TopKnot, Yo-Zuri HD, Momoi Presentation.....)? I have been told on the 16 day trips, sometimes it helps get bit during the day....Thoughts??

Reactions: ifish42na

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I have only used the two YoZuri pink that you listed. It is usually cost that leans me to purchase. A long time ago Ande mono came out with pink and some swear on that. Personally back then I was a Ande clear guy and changed the line often for albacore. For school bluefin my mono was 12# blue mono. As far as making wind ons, my preferences are to install the leader on my rod as I need it. Recently been using the FG knot for that.

My personal favorite day time line is Blackwater 80 or 100#

Last edited:
Reactions: DesotoBound

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
I gotcha. Do you think the Pink actually makes a difference? A bunch of years ago we were jigging bluefin out of Oregon Inlet NC and the guys using the pink fluor seemed to get bit more the the guys not using the pink. A few of us thought it was the jigs and started using the same jigs but the pink (flouro) still caught better. And it just wasn't on that trip, the Capt suggested it to a new charter the following week and again the pink seemed to work better. I guess it wouldn't hurt making a few in pink to have on hand.

Reactions: $norkle

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Pink is suppose to be the color that refract less light or is the most invisible in water, so I’ve been told. That being said, all fluorocarbon is suppose to be less refractive than mono.

Yozui has a pink fluro, as well as Seaguar and there are probably others.

Personally I use Seaguar Premier. Have fun making your wind ons.

PS, Bill is black water still in business? I heard they stopped.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I do not know Rich. Somewhere I heard that rumor. They use Toray resins and Makai from John’s business has that brand. I’m adaptable to other brands too but going on past experience.

Red is the first color to go grey and fluoro sinks. I think that light can transfer through the plastic so maybe the red does not glow. You have to understand that fish see a whole different way then we do. All you can say for sure is it works. My understanding is tuna are more tuned to seeing polarized light as part of the hunting for bait fish.

Last edited:

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
I have been using the Makai (clear) for a bunch of years now and that stuff is brutally strong and abrasion resistant. It just seems to be on the stiff side for the lighter stuff and I have a had hard time tying knots with it. So I just crimp it and its fine. Seems that the Premier is the go to for most of the LR fisherman but I'm sure that's up for debate. I'm not trying to let the cost factor influence my decision rather then using the best available product and what's been proven by the guys who have the experience doin the LR thing!

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Premier is definitely not my “go to” but it does have a following.

Reactions: RichG

dh515

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I like and use pink in bright sunlight. I’ve seen it works better than clear at times and at other times it doesn’t seem to matter. I’ve had success with Diamond Presentation in 80 and 100. The 80 usually breaks in the low 90’s, the 100 at just under 130. Yo-zuri is also good with the Diamond being a little softer.

Last edited:

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Pink is less visible in off color or green water. There was a test in one of the fishing magazines and it was clear. In SF bay pink outfishes clear flouro 2:1 or better.

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
Thanks dh515. Thats what im looking for. Again, I do believe there are times pink will work and times it won’t! I guess it won’t hurt to bring a few with me. Better to have options.

Reactions: dh515 and RichG

caveman

May 1, 2006
windsor,ca
Name
charles boyd
Boat
20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
I got my personal best on Yozuri pink on a sunny day. It has worked well for me. Several guys whose opinion I always listen to steered me that way a few years back.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
For whatever reason I have not caught a single fish on Yozuri Pink. I bought a bunch a couple of years back and simply have not been able to buy a bight with it. Have no idea why.

Reactions: Cubeye and Bill W

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I honor your input FishRock. It is direct on the water observation. I have tried the pink and could not buy a bite then put on Blackwater and got bit. There are no set rules. Others have had bad luck with Blackwater. A lot of variables go with each choice Some do not like stiff leader. But limp leader is less abraision resistant and does not sink as fast. Hooks with/without rings and even line knot or crimp.

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
This Blackwater you speak of, which characteristics of the line really drew you to it? I really haven't heard many guys using it, especially here on the East Coast. A lot of guys have the opinion that more expensive is better! Which isn't always the case. Real life experience is a much better factor to help me decide on what line to use. Especially after speaking to a large group of experienced fisherman and many trips with trial and error.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
There's a fairly large contingent of Yo Zuri Pink who fish Excel. Maybe they're all out on the boat on the current trip.

Or, maybe they saw how badly Soda Pop's thread has been mangled and just said fuck it.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Blackwater is harder to knot, but more abrasion resistant. It is larger diameter than other leaders with same labeled test. Do not care... I get bit on it. Once a fish is on it does not fail me. I bounce around usually because of cost but always seems to depend on it with picky bite.

Reactions: Fishdood

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
The issue with Blackwater is that you cannot buy it anymore.. seems to have gone away.. I love their line for giant yellowfin... but I have been forced to try other brands now.

rmbudman

Jun 27, 2008
NY USA
Name
Rob M
Boat
None
Would the Blackwater be along the lines of the Seguar Blue Label or maybe the Yo-zuri TopKnot? I am familiar with both as well as the Makai and have used them for different applications. I usually make grouper rigs with the Makai, as it is crazy strong and abrasion resistant. When we giant bluefin fish, we use the Makai and the Blue Label. For both of these applications we use the 150lb and 200lb. When we chunk for the East Coast Yellowfin we use 40lb to 80lb Premier with very good success. All of these have been clear fluoro. So as you can see I really am not too experienced in using fluorocarbon in the 100-130lb. Especially for those big ass Pacific Yellowfin that I'll be fishing for next year. Hense why I started this thread.

Fishdood

Fishgistics
Sep 30, 2012
San Marcos, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Austin
Boat
The blackwater is very close to the new Aftco Saiko. Blackwater is gone so good luck every getting it again, however the Aftco stuff has been tested by a few people who were diehard Blackwater people and they like it. I used some myself on the last trip and while no big fish were caught the ones that were it worked great. Thats my new goto now after I run out of Blackwater. They sell the Aftco Saiko in Pink also....