May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat Name
23' Maritime Patriot
Very slow today.

Started up outside the south 9 (where it's been good the last two weeks) and nothing - no signal whatsoever.

Ran south down the canyon past the 101, same deal.

Worked back up closer to the islands - zilch.

Ended up at the 178, same deal.

Plenty of paddies, but I was looking for tuna and didn't take bait.

Lots of boats looking, including numerous party boats - never saw or heard of anyone finding tuna. Plenty of birds around, just all sitting on the water, and no bait up top. Weird...

I wonder if the two seiners setting on the 9 have anything to do with it?

Absolutely beautiful today on the water - flat calm, zero wind, no swell.

DOGHOUSE26

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat Name
26 Blackman Billfisher
My buddies got in on the bonanza on Tuesday PM with fish as close as 6 miles from the point throwing poppers and Snipers on foamer after foamer. Yesterday was a different deal however as we went 3-6 miles west of the 226 paddy hopping had had mexican dodo limits after the 1st & 2nd kelp. We then headed north in search of tuna then back east in between the 182 & 226 where some buds took 11 tuna from 25-50# on poppers in the PM Tuesday. That zone was a desert yesterday and so was the area below the border just outside the 9 where it has been good for a couple of weeks as we heard plenty of whining on the radio. We turned south and headed outside the Islands where the Indepence beat us to a barn door and everyone went bendo on dodos as we passed 1/2 mile away; 1.5 miles farther south we found another paddy which the nicer grade dorado wanted to die and we left them biting making it a 3day trip on the books. We then trolled the spreader bar for a 25# YFT and and 40# BFT @ 32:24/117:28 before heading home. Yes I think the San Pedro Seiners were a big reason the fish spooked; I heard one of the Swordfish Pilots flew the 9 yesterday and never saw any tuna schools all day just an 18' Great White on the top of the 9 but I don't think it was the reason

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat Name
23' Maritime Patriot
We got 2 yft today a few miles west of coronado islands
I saw a few boats drifting about 4 miles west of north island - didn't see any signs (at least the signs I was looking for). I would say you got 'em on bait drifting - correct?

Guess it's time to get out of bed early again and buy (ughhhh) bait...

But I like lazy guy fishing :hali_parkutuli::hali_parkutuli::hali_parkutuli:

Upvote 0

Rich Fagner

Almost A Member
Jun 19, 2015
Name
Rich
Boat Name
Patron
Very slow today.

Started up outside the south 9 (where it's been good the last two weeks) and nothing - no signal whatsoever.

Ran south down the canyon past the 101, same deal.

Worked back up closer to the islands - zilch.

Ended up at the 178, same deal.

Plenty of paddies, but I was looking for tuna and didn't take bait.

Lots of boats looking, including numerous party boats - never saw or heard of anyone finding tuna. Plenty of birds around, just all sitting on the water, and no bait up top. Weird...

I wonder if the two seiners setting on the 9 have anything to do with it?

Absolutely beautiful today on the water - flat calm, zero wind, no swell.
Ya think?🤔

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat Name
Parker 2310
I saw a few boats drifting about 4 miles west of north island - didn't see any signs (at least the signs I was looking for). I would say you got 'em on bait drifting - correct?

Haha yeah we saw marks on the sonar, stopped, chummed with the crappy dead bait we got and then fly lined the live bait. Three bites in maybe three hours, we landed 2 , folks around us hooking up too

Upvote 0

jeffkaiser

• Oct 14, 2005
    escondido, ca
    Name
    Drew Ann
    Boat Name
    Grady White Adventure 208

Yep. That's what worked yesterday. Planned to do the run and gun thing on the North 9 like Tuesday but that didn't happen. Worked all over up and down the 9 and all around for nada. Finally got one about 40# just North of the parking lot, about 5 mi out from N. Island about 2pm. Slow trolled dines.

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Looks like a down day all over for Tuna today.
    Yea, b
    Yep. That's what worked yesterday. Planned to do the run and gun thing on the North 9 like Tuesday but that didn't happen. Worked all over up and down the 9 and all around for nada. Finally got one about 40# just North of the parking lot, about 5 mi out from N. Island about 2pm. Slow trolled dines.
    Haha Jeff, thanks for the door prize in the parking lot - figured it was you :spank: I swear I didn't put that orange under your windshield wiper :rofl:

• Wink Face
    Reactions: jeffkaiser
    Upvote 0

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"

I wouldn't call driving all over looking for foamers and casting the long rod lazy guy fishing :)

Upvote 0

JohnnyK87137

JohnnyK87137
  • Sep 25, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Name
    JOHN
    Boat Name
    2019 Parker 2520XLD
    We saw one puddling school around the 178 today at noon hooked one on the clear splashing lure came unbuttoned and scored a 18# model on bait off it. Some guys where running away from it thinking the big dolphin was foam and we connected the guy on bow said there was free swimming mahi in it too. Once the fish was boated we never saw it again. Pushed more west into the trench and found all the bait 100ft thick of the screen birds hitting it no fish around

Upvote 0

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat Name
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    They wrapped every square inch of the 9 last few days and did not miss should have called me tard i world have told ya

• Love
    Reactions: Hustler
    Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat Name
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Ron. Fish went here I think. Go get em.

fished yesterday, Thursday 8/24 on a club trip, San Diego Anglers,onthe San Diego out of Seasforth with Booger driving. I was delegated the duty f writing the article for the club newsletter and it was a tough write for the firsdt 2/3'rds plus of the day as we had only 8 fish, 6 YFT & 2 BFT, for the day so far as we fished just west of the coronados Islands. Fish were nice sized at 30 lbs plus but there were about 30 of us on the boat.

Did not fish the nine mile nor the Coronado Canyon areas.

We kept chugging south looking for the school that wanted to bite but the schools were dispersed 3 miles apart or so compared to close together for the days before out charter. Plus the schools did not want to bite.

We were off of Rosarito looking but it was still the same thing. Great weather, little wind, litle swell, etc. Not very many kelps at all !

Ho hum and we were well south of where we should be to get back on time. So then Ryan headed west and we found the tuna pens and got a couple. Then he went further west and found the school that wanted to bite. They bit. Mostly they were YFT 30 to 40 lbs.

We were so far from home and so late in our time schedule but Booger said "I will not leave until you all do not have a fish hanging". About 50 fish later we somehow did not have one hanging and we were headed home tired, happy,and fish all around.

Think the counts were:

43 YFT to 40 plus pounds
    11 bft to 60 ish pounds
    2 medium dodos from free swimmers around the boat during tuna bites.

The San Diego goes the extra miles. Thank you to all the crew.
    Danny = feeding us the good stuff
    Danny, Andrew, Nick - the crew
    & of course our best pick of the day - BOOGER

7 pm ETA turned into a 10 pm to the dock = thanks to all those that work on the boat w/ tomorrows turn around.
    Plus thanks to the Seaforth office staff that stayed late to give us ice etc.

Got home little before 11 pm to start my clean up , etc

a geat day and we had fun during our 3 hour chiufg home from WAY DOWN SOUTH for this trip

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot

fished yesterday, Thursday 8/24 on a club trip, San Diego Anglers,onthe San Diego out of Seasforth with Booger driving. I was delegated the duty f writing the article for the club newsletter and it was a tough write for the firsdt 2/3'rds plus of the day as we had only 8 fish, 6 YFT & 2 BFT, for the day so far as we fished just west of the coronados Islands. Fish were nice sized at 30 lbs plus but there were about 30 of us on the boat.

We kept chugging south looking for the school that wanted to bite but the schools were dispersed 3 miles apart or so compared to close together for the days before out charter. Plus the schools did not want to bite.

We were off of Rosarito looking but it was still the same thing. Great weather, little wind, litle swell, etc. Not very many kelps at all !

Ho hum and we were well south of where we should be to get back on time. So then Ryan headed west and we found the tuna pens and got a couple. Then he went further west and found the school that wanted to bite. They bit. Mostly they were YFT 30 to 40 lbs.

We were so far from home and so late in our time schedule but Booger said "I will not leave until you all do not have a fish hanging". About 50 fish later we somehow did not have one hanging and we were headed home tired, happy,and fish all around.

Think the counts were:

43 YFT to 40 plus pounds
    11 bft to 60 ish pounds

7 pm ETA turned into a 10 pm to the dock = thanks to all those that work on the boat w/ tomorrows turn around.

a geat day and we had fun during our 3 hour chiufg home from WAY DOWN SOUTH for this trip
    I saw you guys out there, about 10 miles s/sw of the islands around 11am. Kind of kept my eyes on Booger for a while (figured if anyone would find 'em, he would), but didn't see much.

I was really only looking for "topwater" tuna (didn't pan out for me).

Back at it Sunday - begrudgingly getting up early, buying bait (ughhh...) and making the run.

Sorry to say, no more lazy guy fishing :hali_parkutuli:...

Last edited:
    Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats

Think the counts were:

43 YFT to 40 plus pounds
    11 bft to 60 ish pounds

Cool trip.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    nii
    goog.com
    Name
    go
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    We smoke the tuna on our charter on the "San Diego" late in the day. The fleet did not have a tuna on any boats at 10 am that morning. It looked bleak. But...................... They popped up big time at the end of the day. I looked at the electronics at one point and we had gathered up quite a bunch of fish by the time we left. On the way home, the amount of fish up breezing at sunset was pretty unbelievably. One monster school north of the 425. Fish are still there. It was just a down day and they did not come up to eat until later in the day. We did not get home until almost 10 pm that night!

They were a little picky. I had about 10 hookups. I was using 25 lb test and a #1 black nickle mustad hook. The lighter line did seem to make a difference that day.

Reactions: Rabid Fish
    Upvote 0