Coming along...
Aug 24, 2011
Hemet
Name
Jason
Boat
Plus One
Hey all,

I’m going to launch with a buddy on our first ocean trip in my new boat on Saturday. Any thoughts on whether you’d launch from Shelter Island or Dana Landing. (Or another suggestion??) Don’t have a SoCal bait tank so running with frozen squid, anchovies, and sardines. Also bringing shrimp from the market. And lots of iron, jigs, and plastics. Going to target some shallow water bottom grabbers and would love to see bonito busting bait to cast to. Will also be looking to make mini macs that might survive in our “live well.”

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
Aug 24, 2011
Hemet
Name
Jason
Boat
Plus One
Thanks guys. I had talked myself into believing we’d be fine at approx. 5’ and 5 seconds because I really want to get out. I know I was being optimistic. Maybe we’ll puddle around the bay to see what we can find….

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Thanks guys. I had talked myself into believing we’d be fine at approx. 5’ and 5 seconds because I really want to get out. I know I was being optimistic. Maybe we’ll puddle around the bay to see what we can find….
    :shake:

Upvote 0

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    Sorry for the dumb question. Where are you guys seeing that kind of forecast?
    I use forecast weather for the swell and windy for the wind it’s pretty close MOST of the time

18DFE53A-C321-4B8D-847B-7D8E215EFC8B.png

Reactions: Plus One
    Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    A good rule of thumb is when the forecast is what we call "square waves" like 5x5, 6x6, etc it's doable with experience but it will be uncomfortable. When it's over that like 6x5 etc your better off staying home or bay fishing.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
    Apr 3, 2019
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Ace
    Boat
    Always changing
    A good rule of thumb is when the forecast is what we call "square waves" like 5x5, 6x6, etc it's doable with experience but it will be uncomfortable. When it's over that like 6x5 etc your better off staying home or bay fishing.
    I won’t even do that. I always look for the period to be double the swell height. Maybe it’s my years on tin boats but anything shorter than double the wave height will beat the teeth out of your head. And I’m decently young

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    12 is a magic number for me.
    If the interval is 12 or greater swell height is pretty irrelevant once you are out of the harbor. Watch your ass if you need to go in and out of Oceanside or Dana Point though.
    LA Googans you are on your own out of MDR.

If the wind is 12 or better expect whitecaps.
    The farther from 12 you get in the wrong direction quickly adds up to "no" in an aluminum and planning direction of travel in a glass boat.

As to that earlier ratio. aint no way in hell I'm going out with 6 footers at 8 seconds even with zero wind.

This is recreational fishing in SoCal where good weather aint far off.
    This aint Deadliest Catch. Getting beat up isn't fun at best.

Plus One

Coming along...
    Aug 24, 2011
    Hemet
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Plus One
    Go to shelter and stay in the bay. Gonna be nasty for the next
    Good morning,

Thanks to everyone for your replies. And thank you to Ali for taking the time to reply as well. I think that’s cool.

Decided to keep my boat on the trailer and head up to Lake Arrowhead to fish smallies with my brother. Next weekend looks much better.

Thanks again

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    Good morning,

Thanks to everyone for your replies. And thank you to Ali for taking the time to reply as well. I think that’s cool.

Decided to keep my boat on the trailer and head up to Lake Arrowhead to fish smallies with my brother. Next weekend looks much better.

Thanks again
    Good call

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I was headed to Catalina today as well and decided it might be a tad uncomfortable.

While it sucks to reschedule a fishing trip, there's always another day.

Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
    Aug 24, 2011
    Hemet
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Plus One
    Well, I couldn’t buy a smallie, but I did catch this chunk of a largemouth and a few crappie. My brother got a couple smallies, including a nice one.

Thanks again for the advice earlier, it could not have been a prettier day on Lake Arrowhead

2BF7B0EC-1671-4201-8F43-23F366EB9957.jpeg

A43C6E39-5EB2-4063-AD09-1A9BE3C3DF25.jpeg

2244A40D-54B3-4607-A1B0-580D299909F0.jpeg

57A21F81-070C-48BB-BFFC-DA18CAF52528.jpeg

Reactions: zing1402
    Upvote 0