where to go to catch bass and halibut in huntington harbor...kayak fishing

Discussion in 'Southern CA Private Boater Inshore Trip Planning' started by basszchaser, Aug 18, 2010.

1. basszchaser

basszchaser Newbie

Name:
    daniel
    Boat:
    i recently got introduced to kayak fishing... we(my friend and i) are planning to go out of huntington harbor (and fish there). i just want to go to huntington and not newport. where in the huntington harbor should i go to catch bass and halibut. we will be going at around 4 o clock and using 4 or 3 inch big hammer swimbait in the blue shad color and info is greatly appriciated about where and how to fish huntington harbor

boxofrain likes this.
  2. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    only fished HH one time and did the usual, fish the structure. I was in a float tube and launched off PCH by the kayak rental place. Would be a nice paddle, try bouncing the plastic thru the canals.

3. diakka69

diakka69 Newbie

Name:
    tod
    Boat:
    cabo
    fish the incoming tide. Drift from the pch bridge back 300 feet middle channel. I would use gulp shrimps color white or oil color also the docks near the yacht outhaul yard for halibut I wouldint bother on the outgoing tide

Blackfish likes this.
  4. MikelPikel

MikelPikel MikelPikel

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Okuma Baidarka (Cobra) Kayak-Blue
    I fish Huntington Harbor more than anywhere else as it's close and has easy access. Go west on Edinger off Bolsa Chica and make a left on Countess Dr.. You can park for free in the Seabridge Park parking lot for free and launch 10 feet from the water. I know a lot of people don't like to share their spots, but I'm not one of em. Share & Share alike. If I can help you catch fish, it's my pleasure!! There's plent of em out there. While I hear tell of hali's and bass caught amongst the docks, I personally haven't had a whole lot of luck. My personal favorite spot is the orange bouy line defining the sanctuary by the harbor entrance/exit, across from the Simple Green building. I tie up to the bouy line and cast both sides of the bouy line. The first section (south end) of the bouy line isn't all that productive, but the last 3/4 to the NW produce lots of bay bass and the occassional flattie. Mostly smalls but the keepers are out there (bigger in winter/spawning months). There's some beautiful, big bass out there and you'll catch more of them than anything in my experience. I almost exclusively fish Gulp! plastics as they've produced the best results (over Hammer baits, although they work too on occasion.). I use 3 main types: 4" jerk shad, 3" swimming mullets, and 6" sand worms (cut in half). The jerk shad and mullets work equally well for both bass and halibut. The sand worms almost exclusively produce bass; Although one day I got spooled twice, casting to the exact same spot, on a sand worm. To this day I have no idea what it/they was/were. Was almost certainly not a halibut or bass, based on both the bite, size and fight. Was actually thinking maybe white sea bass, although it seemed odd that they'd bite on sand worms. No normal twitch bite. Just took the bait and hauled @##!! Am sure it wasn't a bat ray, but it could have possibly been a leopard shark. Some odd catches out there too. Last week none of the normal culprits were biting, but I caught a small bonito (mullet) and big ol' lizard fish (jerk shad). The most productive spot for me is in the middle of the bouy line, where the white bouy floats just on the west side of the bouy line. Right there, just over the bouys on the preserve side is some structure that holds a lot of bass. Be careful as I've lost a lot of rigs on it, but if you fish just north and south of it, you'll get bit hard and often. The west side of the bouy line toward the north end produces a fair amount of bass as well. Also, there's a bunch of eel grass mixed with open space over the bouy line, producing both halibut and bass. Cast out, and slowly drag your bait in. Don't mistake the rig hanging up on the eel grass for a bite. You'll know a bite once you've had one. Bass bites are usually a couple fast, hard twitches, while the halibut bite is a little less pronounced, kind of feeling like you're hanging up on eel grass, but it actually pulls back a bit. I myself use a slow steady reel as opposed to a twitch, keeping it on the bottom or dragging through the eel grass or flats until I feel a bite, or get snagged on something. You will lose your share of rigs, but it's worth it. Usually, but not always, I'll stop reeling once I get the bite and wait for another twitch/tug or two before setting the hook. They usually don't spit out the Gulp! baits quickly and will mouth them longer than Hammer baits. Set the hook well, but not too hard or you're apt to tear them out of the mouth if it's a halibut. I fish these plastics on a 3/8 or 1/4 oz silver lead head, with a 6 foot rod and 10 lb. Stren. Was using 6 lb. test for more bites, but lost enough larger fish (i.e.; hali's) that I moved up. Best colors for me are: jerk shad: nuclear chicken(orange/lime green), anchovie / mullet: red(best), white (pretty good too!), motor oil / sand worm: motor oil. I rub a little Uni Butter scent on them too to keep the fish chompin' on em'. Change em' up if you're not getting bit. Every day's different. Sometimes they don't bite on anything, other days they'll wolf up just about anything you throw in. Also, if you catch a halibut, keep fishing that spot. They often are in groups due to optimum location/bait. Good luck!! Hope to see ya' out there. While you don't have to have a license displayed, make sure you have it on you as the OC Sheriff's will on occassion ask you to see it.

Going out there myself in a couple minutes!! Tight lines!!

5. 714aheim

714aheim You been drinking SW?

Name:
    jordan
    Boat:
    steel
    Heck of a first post! Welcome to BD.

6. MikelPikel

MikelPikel MikelPikel

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Okuma Baidarka (Cobra) Kayak-Blue
    Windy as *&^^ by noon!
    2 small bay bass, 2 white sea bass (now I'm pretty sure what spooled me was White Sea Bass!!)
    0911001516.jpg

:appl:

srfr4life6, Dan K and ol red like this.
  7. Deric Witt

Deric Witt Newbie

Name:
    Deric
    Boat:
    2015 Sea Fox Commander
    My brother and I are going out in Huntington Harbor on a zodiac this afternoon. Any tips????

8. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    There's halibut at the far end of the harbor near the yacht club/Warner Ave. Fish the rocks across from it and skip baits under the bridge if you can. Have pulled several legal halibut out of there

9. el tiegro

el tiegro Newbie

Name:
    anthony
    Boat:
    freedom boat club
    Thank you Mike and Henry for being generous with your knowledge and advice. Not that common on the forums anymore, especially with small easily accessible areas. I haven't really fished inshore since moving out here from Florida, but that style fishing brings back memories.

Blackfish likes this.
  10. Sebastian Hong

Sebastian Hong Newbie

Name:
    sebastian
    Boat:
    float tube
    I've had pretty good luck in huntington. Only fished it about 3-4 times so far, but have gotten a good amount of legal fish and a pair of 2 pounders. Our best day was a little over 20 bass, biggest around 2. Try structure, like docks and pilings. Had better luck on incoming tide. You can also try in the grass and weeds on the channel. I like to match swimbait colors to water clarity, natural for clear and dark for murky. My brother and I have gotten fish there on craws, swimbaits, flukes, and a-rigs. Also hooked a massive butterfly ray 3+ feet across and had to land it on someone's dock lol. Cast out, let it hit bottom, and slowly wind in. Also watch your line on the sink as I got lots of bites before my bait hit the bottom. Good luck!

11. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a

As far as the docks,
    Hit em up with either the outgoing or in coming high tides.
    Gray light is always best and fish the shade side of the docks & boats..
    Cast right along side of them and don't hit the boats, the owners get upset.
    When you hook up, crank like hell, they will head straight for the pilings and break you off.

Hope this helps.

hookupfish likes this.
  12. ol red

ol red Newbie

Name:
    ol red
    Boat:
    An old one that still floats

13. ol red

ol red Newbie

Name:
    ol red
    Boat:
    An old one that still floats
    Awesome info!! Thank you!!

14. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    I know where you can find big halibut, but I would be strung up if i divulged this information.

One_Leg likes this.
  15. Deric Witt

Deric Witt Newbie

Name:
    Deric
    Boat:
    2015 Sea Fox Commander
    Awwww! Come on Jeff. You’re gonna offer me a beer and then drink it in front of me? Msg me at7149516242 that way it’s only one guy.

sickcat likes this.
  16. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Let's just say there's rocks in the area. :D

17. Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Kayak

18. boxofrain

boxofrain Member

Name:
    Ed Schmitt
    Boat:
    Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
    This is an excellent report. I have not fished HH in years, but enjoyed pretty good action on halibut and bass. Years ago we fished the outer harbor with Mike Gardener. Six pound line and 3 inch light green AA curly tails. Among other things, we got the largest leopard shark I have ever seen near the rock wall. It was more than a 30 minute fight. It dragged us all over the place and pulled off almost all of that light string. It was over 5 feet long when we got it up for release. I suspect that may be the type that spooled you.

19. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Newbie

Name:
    bobgilkion
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Fishing HH fairly regularly over the past few months. A couple of weeks ago, fishing in an empty slip down near Simple Green something hit on the drop, or almost as the lure hit the water, made a splash (unusual), tore across the slip like a rocket and broke my 12lb flouro leader with out slowing..
    No idea what, but it was impressive.
    Mike Pikel's post was very helpful when I started at Huntington. The only problem with the bridge and the flats around the buoys is that it gets crowded because people know they are productive. I always allot time for the docks, with mixed results.
    The occasional halibut I have caught have come back up in the main channel, in seemingly random spots on a variety or presentations.

20. Smelt4bait

Smelt4bait Newbie

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    18 ft Runabout 'Fathom This'
    Having grown up in Seal Beach the PCH bridge was always a good spot. Back then we could fish the shore on all sides, bay side and navy base side north or south sides. Incoming tide on the inside of the bridge on either side has produced many big halibut. The buoy line on the east side closest to Sunset Aquatic can get you WSB, again on the incoming tide with live smelt. With a FF you will find lots of structure. Between the bridge and Simple Green are a number of troughs and dips that hold bay bass. Right along the shores you will get croakers, corbina, turbot and perch using mussles, blood worms or squid strips. Cruise the area and let the FF tell you where to try. Lots of fishing in there but I like inside the bridge and to the refuge buoy line.
    Good Luck Erik