Where to go in Mexico

HotFlash II

Jul 13, 2016
Sunnyvale
Name
Gene McKenna
Boat
HotFlash II
Hello All, Looking to go to Mexico this year instead of usually 7 day LR trip. Not really sure where to go so looking for recommendations.
Want to fish 1 to 2 day trip then the rest of the week at a beach front hotel with Wife. Maybe a day trip out on panga. looking for all inclusive hotel.
any boat or captains recommendations would be much appreciated. looking to go somewhere around Puerta Vallarta. Thinking of going in August, October or early November not sure when is best. TIA

Reactions: jiggermyster

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Have to second East Cape- anywhere! There are some really nice all-inclusive operators there, but what is most attractive is the serenity of East Cape. There are no crowds to overwhelm the experience. Where the image of pool-side drinks at the swim-up bar and great on-site dining comes to mind, what you cannot appreciate is the impact of large number of other travelers looking for the same thing. When you are enjoying the destination but with so fewer people, it really is nice! I try to avoid the large crowded destinations during this time, but I def want to enjoy the luxury that we've worked for. East Cape is perfect!

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    October is almost always the perfect time, and unless your lady is a shopaholic the East Cape is the best place. If she is the store explorer type, then stay in La Paz and fish with Tailhunters. The city has the most variety in restaurants and shopping experiences, and is an order of magnitude safer than anywhere on the mainland for Americans to wander around. On the East Cape I prefer staying at Rancho Leonero, although the bigger and fancier resorts there are also very nice.

I always take down several gallon-sized ziplock bags and bring them onto the panga at dawn, so that I can bring back a fresh dinner-portion of fish to the hotel in a ziplock within another ziplock of ice cubes from the lunch cooler. I no longer hassle with trying to bag and freeze and fly back north a bunch of fillets, I offer a boatside fish to the captain or if he declines then release it. I keep a dinner every day, and it is the BEST fish dinner you will ever have.

Every resort at the Cape has excellent captains and you will have a great time. I prefer the Ranch because it is a small resort and you usually have way less boats loading in the dawn, so you get offshore faster. I HATE standing on the beach for an hour, I want to go fish!

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
    Idyllwild, Ca USA
    Name
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat
    None
    Another vote for the East Cape. Rancho Leonero if you really want to get away from the crowds, or Palmas de Cortez for a bit more comfort and things to do around sleepy Los Barriles. I just chase roosterfish down there. And...the hotter it is the better the fishing is. Also less crowded during the really hot months and you can usually get a deal during that time (e.g., pay 4 nights, get 5th night free...I double-up on that, pay for 8 nights and stay for 10).

Reactions: HotFlash II
    Upvote 0

AndrewP

May 29, 2013
    San Francisco CA USA
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Chi Cha Hoocha
    Another vote for the East Cape. Rancho Leonero if you really want to get away from the crowds, or Palmas de Cortez for a bit more comfort and things to do around sleepy Los Barriles. I just chase roosterfish down there. And...the hotter it is the better the fishing is. Also less crowded during the really hot months and you can usually get a deal during that time (e.g., pay 4 nights, get 5th night free...I double-up on that, pay for 8 nights and stay for 10).
    Hello Mr. DMcD, Headed to Palmas de Cortez on July 23rd to hunt Rooster's from the shore via ATV. Never caught a Rooster from the shore. Should we be searching north of the hotel or south? And what lures would you recommend for the Rooster's? Thank you sir!

Upvote 0