where to buy stand-up harness for LR?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by ThunderMudder, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DanRoach

DanRoach Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    :(
    :frehya2:

Well shit its the first one I used and its never let me down...

I always thought he started the custom ones with the different contact points.

2. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    Dennis makes a good product but its far from custom.

I had a brute buster for a while, and its nice, but the OTR is a world of difference.

3. brice

brice MaƱana

Name:
    brice
    Boat:
    Grady 226
    whatever harness you get make sure the thigh pad is wide enough for your stance. the aftco that i have been strapped into was way too narrow for my tastes.

4. tunawrestler

tunawrestler Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    I see a lot of wrong information regarding Harnesses.

Before you invest in a harness, do some research on it and find out the right technique to get the most out of that particular harness and if it works for you and your body type. Its one thing to go into a store and try one on and pull on it for 10 minutes. Its another to actually fish effectively with it. Get the right information on how to use it and to get the most out of it.

Here is the link to a great article on using a harness:
    http://braidproducts.com/images/stand_up_routine.pdf

Most harnesses that people are using are not adjusted properly, nobody ever talks about technique. Without using the proper technique you loose the effectiveness and true pulling power of these harnesses.

Most of the harneses on the market are good products.

The OTR harness supports your body from a vertical lift. My understanding is its based on a rock climbing harness. There is not much support with it. No support ribs to disburse the weight over a wider area. Its like the original tanaguchi harness made in the early 80's, just newer materials. Like the Smitty harness, they do not effectively distribute the weight/load. It also takes a while to get in and out of. If you want to run in the galley and relax, you gotta have the big diaper on.

The AFTCO harness does not have as many of the key adjustment points on it meaning it will not allow the angler to fine tune the weight and or pressure from the lowerback to the buttox depending on your style of fishing.

Justin

5. tunawrestler

tunawrestler Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Tanaguchi was the first guy to make a heavy duty type kidney harness in the early 80's that was well suited for stand up fishing but lacked any padding.

RipOff had a kidney harness come out in the early 80’s with some padding.

Braid was the first guy to really play with and add different contact points to customize a bucket type harness.

6. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Great thing about the rail, one size fits all. Only problem I had last trip was trying to fish my stand up rods on the rail, but I'm taking care of that by extending the butts about 2 .5". Shold work out great.

7. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Yo TM,

I've tried most all of the mentioned devices and the only one for me and big tuna is the Braid Power Play line of Plate, Harness and drop straps. The bucket IS designed to distribute weight equally between butt and back straps, the drop straps give you the ability to adjust the height of the plate in relation to your Height, Knees and the height of the rail of the boat you opt for. It really is a necessary part of correctly setting up your complete harness for Big Fish. The Power Play setup will come with a multipage booklet which will show you step by step how to set up this rig correctly. You really need to read it and if you have any questions just call over to Braid and they will answer any concerns you may have.

5 day trips are not what the Powerplay line is designed for. It is for the longer trips targeting the bigger fish unless of course you are on a giant Bluefin hunt back east. Those who complain these devices are difficult to get in and out of do not know the proper way to setup or get in and out. It only takes a few seconds to do either. Justin's web sites he shows have some very good information but the booklet should tell you everything you need to know especially in regards to setting up the rod angle in relation to the deck. DO NOT listen to those who tell you to set up the rod at 45 degrees rather it is closer to 10 or 15 degrees off parallel to the deck.

There is so much BAD information out there in regards to harnesses including from many of the crews who have never been taught correctly how to use one.

There are many discussions on Rail rodding vs. Harness. If you choose to purchase a harness then get the best that are recommended by some of the best in the business and make sure you get all the proper components including the drop straps. I happen to only use the harness, in conjunction with the rail, on giant tuna. I Take mine on every trip 10 days or over if there is a shot at Cows and am greatful I have it with every big fish I catch.

Good luck with your decision but for this fisherman there is only one model to purchase and that is the Powerplay by Braid. If you choose this option be sure to read the entire manual that comes with it. It could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship between you and your harness.

Jamie

8. ThunderMudder

ThunderMudder Member

Name:
    nal
    Boat:
    282 GW Sailfish F225's
    thx for your input, mucho appreciated.

9. ThunderMudder

ThunderMudder Member

Name:
    nal
    Boat:
    282 GW Sailfish F225's
    anyone go short vids of an angler working a big fish utilizing the rail? i'd like to see the effectiveness and pressure on the angler.

10. The Notorious S.U.A

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none

Night and day difference. Once you go rail, you never go back, and you kick yourself for spending all that money on a harness.

11. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    I use a Braid Power Play harness and pad and it works very well for me on the EXCEL. I feel that I can fight a fish as effectively using this gear as someone using the rail.

No right or wrong (harness vs. rail), but rather what works for YOUR style based on height/weight/phsical condition, technique, and the boat on which you fish.

12. tunawrestler

tunawrestler Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    One of the significant disavantages of the rail that nobody ever talks about is that you can't put much pressure on the fish when it is straight out and far away from the boat.

13. The Notorious S.U.A

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    thats what your hip and your arms are for.

14. tunawrestler

tunawrestler Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:

15. tunawrestler

tunawrestler Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:

They only last for so long before you get tired.. Pull 40 pounds of drag for a few minutes..

16. The Notorious S.U.A

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    not gonna get into a pissing contest with you on this one, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of the people who are known for catching big fish, and lots of them, are rail guys. not to say there arent harness afficianados as well, but its not quite that black and white.

17. tunawrestler

tunawrestler Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    No pissing contest Jorge. I am not saying the rails is no good or does not work. The results speak for themselves, lots of big fish guys use it and lots don't.

Simply there is a disadvantage that I never see discussed. When the fish is far out and on the surface (maybe its not the most common pattern but it does happen) you can't put as much pressure on the fish as if you were in a harness. I am sure there are different factors that play into this; i.e your height and the rail height of the boat.

18. The Notorious S.U.A

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none
    thats true, i have seen some rail guys get perplexed when the fish stays out and away from the boat. I also have to crouch a little since i switched to the rail technique because of my height.

19. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    "Good to see you at the show TT".

Good to see you also Justin! Hope to fish with you again soon!

TT

p.s. With the long time since the last time that we fished together, I am sure that Kenny and I will have our work cut out for us "fixing" all of YOUR bad habits (LOL!!!!!).

20. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    Wait until they start trying to get rid of my bad habits. :rofl:

My hat is off to the harness guys (and gals Jan) I guarantee they put way more pressure on, land fish faster, and have less stress on their arms and legs than I do with my style.
    However, I happen to like my style. It's effective for tiny little me, but I do feel in most cases the harness is better except fpr fish that like the anchor line, or in real busy situations.