Where is the first string Sport fishing boat ? It was spotted at Ensenada Mexico marina. Can Ask Sergio sport fishing in Ensenada for a update .

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
  • May 28, 2015
    Name
    RIP Jim Peterson
    Boat
    Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
    She payed for my first car, thanks Rip Jim Peterson for buying
    her and letting me go from Sport King to First String. We were at
    the Cortez Bank and Rogue wave hit us, she snapped right back up.
    Too bad she looks like that.

Upvote 0

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
  • Apr 8, 2006
    Blue Marble
    Name
    Grinner
    Boat
    A Big One - That Floats
    She payed for my first car, thanks Rip Jim Peterson for buying
    her and letting me go from Sport King to First String. We were at
    the Cortez Bank and Rogue wave hit us, she snapped right back up.
    Too bad she looks like that.
    I remember that trip Rick!!! The galley, and pretty much everyone onboard got tossed big-time. She did snap back quickly, thankfully. That event occurred on a "Corporate 500"... annual charter trip. There were no injuries that I recall, but man.., that Rogue hitting the boat like that while on anchor... and on the bank certainly was an eye opener. I've carried a ditch bag along with me on every off-shore trip since then. Spent a lot of days fishing the First String. Painful to see her tied up like that now. Also, interesting to see who held onto her until the end.

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Russ had the Indian built. My dad and myself was on the first charter for a Catalina trip. Early in the morning fog was woke up to a big crash bang. We ran Lol into the east end rock quarry below Avalon. We were up on the rocks and Russ said he has been fishing this island for 30 years and never had this happen. He said anybody wishing to get off the boat can do so but he wants to pull off the rocks. We all stayed on board. When we pulled off the rocks the boat took on water to the point the bunk room was under water. They towed us backwards to Avalon stern first and we were all hanging onto the stern rail. Seems the radar was not installed on the maiden voyage. Got another trip on the Indian a few months later...
    BILL W.... I remember that happening on the INDIAN. You know over the years quite a few boats had a "run in" with some of those Channel Islands...right? The old SHOGUN was infamous for more than 1 "running aground" incidents. Embarrassing and costly to repair...let alone the loss of customer confidence .... eventually the SHOGUN got renamed and sold. Eventually I believe Capt Norm got his shot at the New SHOGUN with Frank. Fished with him many times as well....on both boats. Miss him as well.
    Queen of the sea Seabass fishing at Catalina. A
    Little late on the 1st String talk but I was bored and searched here sad. I had Albacore trips in November 1984 that I’ll never forget. Great platform to fish from she had bait tanks on each side and the bow to use The best 3/4 day all day boat ever for fishing and comfort

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Donald keen

Aug 15, 2021
    San bernardino
    Name
    Donald L keen
    Boat
    ???
    Man all I can say is nostalgia! Takes you back to the days of your childhood just seeing a picture of the boat. That was quite the lineup though for sure. First string, Shogun, and the Top Gun.

Upvote 0

stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 16, 2005
    Bangkok
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    None
    Queen of the sea Seabass fishing at Catalina. A
    Little late on the 1st String talk but I was bored and searched here sad. I had Albacore trips in November 1984 that I’ll never forget. Great platform to fish from she had bait tanks on each side and the bow to use The best 3/4 day all day boat ever for fishing and comfort

I fished the Queen out of Belmont with my dad back in the '60s....

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    Did my first overnight trip with my Dad and a bunch of his FBI buddies on her. This was before I was in highschool. Come daylight, I was one of the only sober ones who could stand up to fish. RIP Pops.

Reactions: One_Leg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I have soooo many Russ Izor stories.... will tell you how it all started. 1984.... Day at the Docks. It just so happens that IZOR was behind us there. We had brought a $20k embroidery machine and computer there to put peoples boat / personal names on the product we were selling. Cost for a SINGLE electrical plug...$200... that runs the rear length of the booths. Sometimes you have to share amenities with your fellow exhubiters.... but not this time. IZOR had "borrowed " our only outlet. We didn't even have one for the cash register.

I asked that "old guy".... he was angry and mumbling something at me when I told him we paid... said he didn't give a damn. He had his dacron "weaving" machine plugged in.... and that was that. I tried being nice... I asked the "Show" promoter.... zero results...and losing money. So I just "unplugged" it. With a loud noise and a flurry of tangles and bending metal it came to a tangled stop. Pissed.... you bet. He came over to yell and scream.... at least until the show promoters showed up to settle him down.... telling him it WAS MY PLUG... and he didn't pay for enough elec for that unit.

Needless to say.... we finished the rest of the show without incident. He and I did get a chance to speak... as we both apologized to each other... numerous times. From that day on....Capt. Russ Izor and I became good friends. He is a TRUE Sportfishing Legend.... on both sides of the coin. A great boat owner and skipper..... and tackle innovator. I miss him.
    for sure

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    The boat may be rusting, but the GOOD NEWS is Bradly has left his demons looks like.
    Alive and well I guess
    in Baja, on Facebook often.
    Good for him.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    Things are often cheaper and questionable in third world countries.This is one of them and this is why. Head on down to ensenada and roll the dice. Never been on this boat but I sure hope they fix it properly and not put anybody in danger from this country or another.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Yeah, what a shame.

Fished Catalina on it a number of times, used to be an Asian gal in the galley that cut up and cooked bait-squid in garlic & butter...

just saw this. Yeah I remember her too.. a shorter gal who fished with us often. I actually met up with Darren recently on the Eldorado. He was the bald Asian dude who may have been pinhead on the String back then.

Looking at her again, she looks top heavy due to the enormous sun deck.

Upvote 0

stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 16, 2005
    Bangkok
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    None
    $5.00 for all day, iirc.
    10¢ for the tram ride.

It was still the the half-day when we rode it, I think it was $2.50 for kids and $4.00 for adults.

I do remember the tram at a dime, my dad would ride it out and back with the gear & fish, and give us the option of riding or walking and pocketing the dime....

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    It was still the the half-day when we rode it, I think it was $2.50 for kids and $4.00 for adults.

I do remember the tram at a dime, my dad would ride it out and back with the gear & fish, and give us the option of riding or walking and pocketing the dime....
    I'm thinking it was the GW or Enterprise I was riding at the time.

I'd sometimes walk, because I didn't have a dime at the time.
    Mom gave me a dime, but that was to call her when it was time to pick me up.
    She said let it ring once, then hang up and get the dime back.
    Never occurred to me, what if she didn't hear the phone ring.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0