Where is the first string Sport fishing boat ? It was spotted at Ensenada Mexico marina. Can Ask Sergio sport fishing in Ensenada for a update .

freddycastro

Jun 26, 2012
pomona ca
Name
alfred castro
Boat
egg habor
1618212851623.png
1618212851623.png

Last edited:

perchkiller

Jul 19, 2016
cali
Name
Harryfundio
Boat
yours
I remember like 20 years ago I was on a over nighter on her, Talking to Bradly him and another capt went in on a million gallons of diesel to get a better price. Also said that the fastest she would go was 9.5 knots anything over 10 she was hard to steer and wouldn't track straight.

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Was there on a nasty afternoon comin home from sci when we got hit broadside by a rogue wave and rolled on her side for about 3 seconds throwin everyone outta the bunks with Conklin drivin before righting and losing power..
Ran to the wheelhouse and pat was bright white instead of the usual pinkish red...had great times on that boat at la harbor..with them and the shogun and top gun there we were so spoiled...

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I have soooo many Russ Izor stories.... will tell you how it all started. 1984.... Day at the Docks. It just so happens that IZOR was behind us there. We had brought a $20k embroidery machine and computer there to put peoples boat / personal names on the product we were selling. Cost for a SINGLE electrical plug...$200... that runs the rear length of the booths. Sometimes you have to share amenities with your fellow exhubiters.... but not this time. IZOR had "borrowed " our only outlet. We didn't even have one for the cash register.

I asked that "old guy".... he was angry and mumbling something at me when I told him we paid... said he didn't give a damn. He had his dacron "weaving" machine plugged in.... and that was that. I tried being nice... I asked the "Show" promoter.... zero results...and losing money. So I just "unplugged" it. With a loud noise and a flurry of tangles and bending metal it came to a tangled stop. Pissed.... you bet. He came over to yell and scream.... at least until the show promoters showed up to settle him down.... telling him it WAS MY PLUG... and he didn't pay for enough elec for that unit.

Needless to say.... we finished the rest of the show without incident. He and I did get a chance to speak... as we both apologized to each other... numerous times. From that day on....Capt. Russ Izor and I became good friends. He is a TRUE Sportfishing Legend.... on both sides of the coin. A great boat owner and skipper..... and tackle innovator. I miss him.

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Fished her many times when it was a 3/4
    Boat in LA Harbor. Caught my first YT on her. Massive upper deck lounging area. Too bad wasn’t able to get on the Shogun when it was up here. Great boat.

Reactions: woodfish330

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I have soooo many Russ Izor stories.... will tell you how it all started. 1984.... Day at the Docks. It just so happens that IZOR was behind us there. We had brought a $20k embroidery machine and computer there to put peoples boat / personal names on the product we were selling. Cost for a SINGLE electrical plug...$200... that runs the rear length of the booths. Sometimes you have to share amenities with your fellow exhubiters.... but not this time. IZOR had "borrowed " our only outlet. We didn't even have one for the cash register.

I asked that "old guy".... he was angry and mumbling something at me when I told him we paid... said he didn't give a damn. He had his dacron "weaving" machine plugged in.... and that was that. I tried being nice... I asked the "Show" promoter.... zero results...and losing money. So I just "unplugged" it. With a loud noise and a flurry of tangles and bending metal it came to a tangled stop. Pissed.... you bet. He came over to yell and scream.... at least until the show promoters showed up to settle him down.... telling him it WAS MY PLUG... and he didn't pay for enough elec for that unit.

Needless to say.... we finished the rest of the show without incident. He and I did get a chance to speak... as we both apologized to each other... numerous times. From that day on....Capt. Russ Izor and I became good friends. He is a TRUE Sportfishing Legend.... on both sides of the coin. A great boat owner and skipper..... and tackle innovator. I miss him.
    Russ had the Indian built. My dad and myself was on the first charter for a Catalina trip. Early in the morning fog was woke up to a big crash bang. We ran into the east end rock quarry below Avalon. We were up on the rocks and Russ said he has been fishing this island for 30 years and never had this happen. He said anybody wishing to get off the boat can do so but he wants to pull off the rocks. We all stayed on board. When we pulled off the rocks the boat took on water to the point the bunk room was under water. They towed us backwards to Avalon stern first and we were all hanging onto the stern rail. Seems the radar was not installed on the maiden voyage. Got another trip on the Indian a few months later...

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Russ had the Indian built. My dad and myself was on the first charter for a Catalina trip. Early in the morning fog was woke up to a big crash bang. We ran into the east end rock quarry below Avalon. We were up on the rocks and Russ said he has been fishing this island for 30 years and never had this happen. He said anybody wishing to get off the boat can do so but he wants to pull off the rocks. We all stayed on board. When we pulled off the rocks the boat took on water to the point the bunk room was under water. They towed us backwards to Avalon stern first and we were all hanging onto the stern rail. Seems the radar was not installed on the maiden voyage. Got another trip on the Indian a few months later...

Not sure I’d have got back on after that maiden voyage. You got Balls Bill

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
    Granada Hills, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    I’m sure that the they couldn’t “fish plate” the hull and get by CG. In Mexico, that’s probably an acceptable repair. It looks like shit when you have patches everywhere. That might get people to question it’s seaworthiness.

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    BILL W.... I remember that happening on the INDIAN. You know over the years quite a few boats had a "run in" with some of those Channel Islands...right? The old SHOGUN was infamous for more than 1 "running aground" incidents. Embarrassing and costly to repair...let alone the loss of customer confidence .... eventually the SHOGUN got renamed and sold. Eventually I believe Capt Norm got his shot at the New SHOGUN with Frank. Fished with him many times as well....on both boats. Miss him as well.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
  • Dec 15, 2008
    Menifee
    Name
    Scoot
    Boat
    18’ CC Baja
    Good stuff gentleman!! First string came along, had a good time on her. Remember fishing with Paul and Mark, don’t recall Russ running it. Do remember he owned it! Did get a shot to fish the new Shogun, ripper yellow bite at Clemente. Good times!

Reactions: woodfish330