Where is the BEST place in Mexico to fish strictly for cabrilla ?

Calico Bob 1010

Past President, LARRC
Oct 20, 2004
UCLABruinville
www.nationalturf.com
Name
Bob
Boat
none
Not talking about a Tony Reyes trip.

In essence, where is the "cabrilla" capital of Mexico...the one place you would want to go to strictly fish inshore for them ??

stonefly

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
the "one place" i would go is gonzaga bay & fish the points south of pta. final. don't mind a few grouper in the mix do you?

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
^^ that's not a cabrilla. If he really meant strictly cabrilla, I might suggest Puerto Penasco I've seen a lot of pics from there of big true cabrilla (not leopard grouper as in your pic.)

Adrian

Mar 19, 2007
San Jose, CA
Name
Adrian
Boat
26' Skipjack - Panacea
Fishing Puerto Penasco for cabrillas would not be inshore fishing. Offshore mounts. South of Zag Bay I think would be the best inshore trip IMHO.

Tight Lines,
Adrian

blowhole

Oct 18, 2007
bahia asuncion, on the west coast of central baja
www.bahiaasuncion.com
Name
shari & juan arce
Boat
28' super panga
I dont know about THE best place in Mexico for calico fishing...BUT...we sure get alot of calico freaks coming to Asuncion as they know we have large numbers of calico easily accessible either shore fishing, in kayak, float tube or pangas. this area of the coast is known for large calico and we have big kelp beds and healthy populations....here are just some examples

Attachments

H.N.C.F

Aug 26, 2005
San Diego
Name
Neil
Boat
Tiara 3100 Open
I have caught some nice ones at Punta Chivato...

eljurel

Cazador de Mar y Tierra
May 3, 2006
SD, La Paz, BOLA
Name
Genaro
Boat
"Baja Hunter" Striper 2301
^^ that's not a cabrilla. If he really meant strictly cabrilla, I might suggest Puerto Penasco I've seen a lot of pics from there of big true cabrilla (not leopard grouper as in your pic.)
The one in the picture we call Cabrilla sardinera, there are also cabrilla extranjera (LA BAY) cabrilla sargazera (calicos) Cabrilla pinta, carbilla negra, cabrilla de fondo, etc.

Coiuld you explain what a true cabrilla is???

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
Out of the way areas are the best( from rancho El Barril south to Santa Rosalia ) which takes some logistics but worth it. Low light conditions bring them in close to the beach especially when the bait is in tight. North of punta Remedios also can be good(launch out of LA Bay) Getting to good cabrilla fishing can be an adventure, camping out of your skiff can be part of the plan.

migalito

migalito
Oct 1, 2005
Phoenix AZ
Name
Michael Ragsdale
Boat
13ft gregor
Being a veteran of eight years of Midrift trips I would say you can,t go wrong off the shoreline of E side of Angel de la guardia island , North of snake Island ,got many this summer biggest at 18 pounds...

msteve1014

Nov 17, 2006
oxnard,ca
Name
mike
Boat
12 duroboat, Blackman 20
It's hotter than hell there, then. I would go to mag bay and fish for broomtails in the esteros. Biggest bass you are ever going to find.

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
September is way too hot, go May/June or October/November.

nordic flyer

Feb 18, 2008
Hunt Bch
Name
Dain
Boat
30' PROLINE Hunt Bch 26' boat San Felipe MX
Do you have a sea worthy boat and road worthy trailer? Just got back from a 16 day trip on my boat (26' center) that covered 425 miles South of Puertocitos. PM for more info