where is a good Fishing spot

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Joshua avendano, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    Hey I have been going to seal beac,Newport beach, baboa beach, and sea point beach and I havent cought any fish do you guys now any good Fishing spots? I live in Anaheim california

Blackfish likes this.
  2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Josh, Because your old enough to be my son, and this is post #1, let me help you before you get ripped to shreds by the good folks on this board. #1 - This is not a fish report. Choose the right forum. #2 - find the right forums and read through them. There's a lot of good posts and information you will find. #3 - If you read a post by someone who you feel can share the right info, private message them. Don't shoot blindly in the dark thinking everyone is going to tell you where to go. Fishermen are sort of protective over their intel.

Good luck, Greenhorn!

spize909, Kyle farmer and abdiver7777 like this.
  3. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    You guys are kind of fucked. What type of fishing are you looking to do? If you're surf fishing, I would post your question on the Surf Fishing site. When I was younger, I used to surf fish on the Southside of Seal Pier and catch a fair amount of legal halibut. Don't let these knuckleheads keep you from asking questions.....apparently they shop at the grocery store for their fish.

spize909 and Bigeasy like this.
  4. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Sounds like you are surf fishing or pier fishing...I don't know much about surf fishing, but check out the "surf fishihg board"...lots of good info on the topic.

Welcome to Bloodydecks, and don't let the smart asses scare you away.

Link to the Surf Fishing board
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/surf-fishing/

I broke your "Like" cherry. LOL

5. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    The "like" cherry, that's really funny!

6. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Welcome to fishing, Joshua! At 25, you aren't riding the bus to the beach so you have the capability to drive to a good fishing opportunity. I often start beginners with a whole bunch of tilapia at the Salton Sea. It is a couple of hours of driving, and it is so hot there that you want to get there about 8 am and you will be done before noon, but you can fill an ice chest with nice tilapia from hand-sized to almost two pounds each. Put a small weight, like 1/2 ounce, on the end of your line and make a small loop about two feet above it and put on a hook about size 4, and take a small box of nightcrawler worms for bait. I cut the nightcrawler into two or three pieces, use just a piece. Cast out, s l o w l y real back along the bottom.

You will be fishing the North Shore area, north-eastern top of the Salton Sea. You need a fishing license, but there is no limit on tilapia! Call the offices at 760-393-3052 or 760-393-3059 for more information. Look up Salton Sea Tilapia on U-Tube for examples.

Tilapia are an amazing fish. They can survive in terrible conditions, like stagnant rice paddies in Asia which is where they are a staple of the diet. The flesh is actually pretty tasty. Remember that nobody would eat bacon if they spent much time around pigs!

The lessons you will learn from catching tilapia will translate directly into your future beach/pier/boat adventures.

7. lonehawkstation

lonehawkstation FORE~

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    None
    Great suggestion. I like tilapia, but isn't the Salton Sea contaminated? Or was I misinformed by a friend who just wanted to keep all the tilapia for himself? :)

8. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    Thanks

9. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    Thanks

10. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    Thanks

11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    As far as the Salton Sea's fish being contaminated -- yes, if you ate HUGE amounts of fish from the Salton Sea, you would be possibly at risk. It's not going to happen in real life, despite what scientists extrapolate from micro sample studies. You are at greater risk eating raw tuna, or the coastal shallow water fish vulnerable to our storm drain runoff.

But it's true, the Salton Sea and it's environs are ugly. Go there early, catch fish, get back on the road!

12. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    What kind of bait did you use??? I been using shrimp macro squid and muscles and im having a hard time catching them.
    I using a 60lb line can that be another reason why im. Not catchon them?

13. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    60lb????? Uh yeah that's a big reason why. Scale down to 6lb and you have a much better shot. I used to throw 1/2 kastmasters up and down the beach. I would use a light freshwater rod and fan cast an area. I never used bait....only lures, but of course bait will work. Good luck and have fun!!!

14. fishingsurfing

fishingsurfing Tuna Twin

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Tiderunner 195 "Tuna Twins"
    Go to Walmart and get the gulp sand worms or whatever they are called. They are basically 1.5" plastics that look like the "nuclear worms" that they sell live at some tackle stores. Put those on a jig head that fits properly, maybe 1/8 oz and go to the beach (like Bolsa Chica) on a high tide, preferably in the morning so you aren't cast into the wind. You only need to cast like 15 ft out at most and twitch it in somewhat rapidly and you will catch halibut and tons of perch.

15. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    Thanks for the infor

16. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    And if you are on the beach on a high tide in the morning, like Andy's excellent suggestion, be sure to have your license and the size and quantity limits in mind and I suggest a picture ID card showing the fish you might catch. As long as you are on a pier the DFW will cut you some slack, that is where the absolute beginners start. But surf fishing you are very likely to catch undersize halibut and immature white sea bass and other fish that need to be immediately released. In your bucket and "Gee, I didn't know" gets a very expensive ticket, not a warning.

17. Joshua avendano

Joshua avendano Newbie

Name:
    jr.fish
    Boat:
    jr.fish
    What part of bolsa chica do you Fishing

18. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    another thread getting f'd up by people posting irrelevant garbage..........I see a pattern here.

The the OP, you need to provide way more info and get yourself some 12lb test.

Blackfish likes this.
  19. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Is that info current?
    My understanding is that the gamefish in the sea have died off. Certainly some Tilapia have survived in and near freshwater canals.

20. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    Lots of tilapia in the sea still..........zombie fish.