Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
So here's the situation, strange as it may be,,, I want to buy a 17-19' V-hull (just the hull) that's setup for a 70's - early 80's Mercruiser 140HP, (IE boat with missing engine and drive)

I blew the engine in my 73 SeaSwirl last December and decided to drop the $1,000 into rebuilding the engine instead of getting another boat. Even though I don't like the tri-hull design, I knew this boat was mechanically sound (besides the engine) and I didn't want to be repairing someone's basket case boat.

Fast forward 6 months and the 140HP Mercruiser is ready to install... BUT, I decide to remove the 5-600# of wet foam that's been below deck since I got the boat. After yanking a section of deck I realize a full stringer job is more than I want to invest in a hull design I don't like, so I'm now looking for a good hull that is setup for the Mercruiser 140.

Anyone know where I can find something like this? Interior work isn't a problem as I'm looking at this with my current hull, might as well put the work into a hull design I like.

I'm in Las Vegas and have seen a few nice hulls for sale cheap ($50-100) but they weren't a good fit, hull too big or OMC/outboard powered. If I can find something that looks good within 2-300 miles I'm willing to make a drive.

Thanks,
Dan

T BICKLE

super cool LA guy
Sep 27, 2007
Culver city
Name
garrett
Boat
16ft ebbtide under construction
scout craigslist daily. i see em all the time

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Yep, been checking Craigslist and Ebay for the past week, but just locally. I'm looking for something like this:

Fiberform Cruiser

except not a cuddy,,, 2-3' shorter,,, a lot lighter and setup for a 140HP Mercruiser... Guess I need to start checking So-Cal craigslist's.

I'd like to get a bow-rider, something that's good for the family and still fishable, but wouldn't mind a pure fishing boat as long as it has seating for 4 people.

Fat Daddy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 27, 2004
Corona
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
I have a late 1960's 23 foot glaspar on a trailer garaged most of the last twenty years. No engine or outdrive, but the hull and decking is in good shape. I forgot what came out of it but I know it was an in line six with a merc outdrive. I will let it go for $750.00 but you will need to help me get it out of the garage. PM me your email address and I'll send you some photos.

Kurt

Mistadobalina
Jul 9, 2003
Clairemont
Visit site
Name
Kurt
Boat
%%%%%
If you find something needing a 120 outboard let me know :D

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks Andy, but that hull is too big, need something in the 17-19' range, something the 140 will power nicely.

Kurt, I'm just looking for a hull, are you in the same boat (pun intended) or are you looking for a rig missing the outboard? If just the hull let me know, I might know of something...

Az.monkey

Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
try Aquarious Marine( sp) off miramar rd in SD, those guys have all sorts of boats ready for the graveyard

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
I just ran into a good '92 Wellcraft 23 with a blown SBC for $2500 with a galv. trailer at a yard sale.. More of a cuddy family boat than a fisher but nonetheless.

GD

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks for the tips on Boat Angel and Aquarius marine! The search begins...

Dan

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Good luck with it Dan, im sure you will find something, and when you finish the project it will be well thought out and dialed in.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
I think I've found a hull for my project, it's a 77 Renken 19' bowrider that has a fairly good hull. The boat was slipped and has algae growth and quagga mussels on the hull and drive, I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker. Here's a few pic's

There's a lot of algae and in the second pic you can see a heavy layer of what I suspect is quagga mussels. How long do you think it will take to clean up this mess and what products would work to remove the algae, mussels and any stains left. Sitting on gravel is another negative about this hull, but I won't know how it looks until it's lifted...

Right now it's set up as a ski boat, but I want to set it up as a fishing boat. Gut the interior, check floor/stringers and repair if needed, paint the floor and interior instead of vinyl and carpet everywhere.

What do you think of the hull fouling, Renken as a manufacturer, the worthiness of this hull as project boat?

fishnazzi

Mostly just LURKING anymore...........
Feb 24, 2008
Out West....somewhere
Name
Troy
Boat
Which one.............
we move boats of all sizes around for IAA the insurance auto auction.........they generally go real cheap...........

furniture 4 me

Jun 16, 2008
perris/ca/usa
www.OFBoutdoors.com
Name
mike
Boat
17 crusader
Call John at Global West Marine, he works with a couple of builders and might be able to get you a brand new haul with no head aches. he also rigs and does service work. awsome guy to work with.
951-675-7034