where are the dorado?

Discussion in 'Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by jplant, Oct 18, 2016.

1. jplant

jplant Member

Name:
    jim plant
    Boat:
    la cathy plant
    I have been trying to research the dorado in this area and find that its in many other areas.Other species are also being affected.Did Japans nuclear lssue have anything to cause this?There are different opinions on the computer networks.It seems like the world would be more interested in finding out whats going on with our ocean and the fish trying to live in it.If or when we kill our ocean,we kill ourselves.If anyone knows or can inform us of anything relating to this,let us know.Maybe its not too late to do something?

junkyardEd likes this.
  2. Fishemup

Fishemup Fishemup

Name:
    Paul Rowles
    Boat:
    29' Twin Vee - Krazy Kat
    I don't have any clue about the nuclear issues from Japan, but as I am sure you know the long liners out of La Cruz carpet bomb the entire area when the Dorado show up. It doesn't take long to wipe out the local fish.

3. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    Sounds like the entire pacific coast is devoid of dorado this year. Only a matter of time until the long liners took their toll.

4. jplant

jplant Member

Name:
    jim plant
    Boat:
    la cathy plant
    I am aware of the long line boats in la cruz.My question is the entire mexican coast has no reports of dorado at this time.I appears this situation is larger than long ponga boats.

5. mrhoneydo

mrhoneydo Member

Name:
    michael willson
    Boat:
    Sea Ray 18" & Grady White 28 Marlin
    no.....just ALOT of long liners and NO enforcement ! Period

huxpat likes this.
  6. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Well, there have been unusually large amounts of wahoo, and hoos love to munch on dodos.

7. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Prokat 26
    5000 Costco's have over a ton of dorado fillets each, selling out every 3-4 days at $22 per lb, so I think the long liners have found one more big market, beyond all the other fish markets, supermarkets and Trader Joes that have been push'ing fillets for years as Dorado, and lots of other fish names just to get an even higher price.

El nino, or what we used to call an indian summer in the old days, took them farther north again this year, but the number and size of fish all over their migration range are indicative of the increased commercial fishing pressure, believe it or not.

huxpat and karlk1125 like this.
  8. dhamarsportfish

dhamarsportfish Captain Danny Gomez

Marina La Cruz De Huanacaxtle Tuna Landing
    Name:
    Danny Gomez
    Boat:
    27 ft Super Panga-30Ft Blackfin- 27ftSuper Panga
    theres some nice big dorados showing in cabo i just had intel from some guys up north betewn san blas and mazatlan they seen some up there theren arriving late

9. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Good to hear!
    Danny I got a big group of guys that I fish with up here coming down to fish with you this month. One of them is the manager of the biggest fishing shop here in the San Francisco area. So please, make sure they only catch skipjack and Toro's so I dont have to hear about them killing it with you!!!!

10. huxpat

huxpat Member

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Angel
    The mid-Oct tournament in Huatulco produced a single dorado of nine pounds. I recently read the book "438 Days" about the panga longliner out of Chiapas who spent more than a year adrift at sea, and while an excellent survival tale, talked about the steep decline of the Chiapas fisheries in the past two decades and much greater distance and risks the pangueros were forced to take without once suggesting what had caused the fisheries decline. Pretty clear it's been the pangueros themselves - no closed seasons for anything, zero regulations or enforcement, and 24/7/365 longlining of the entire Mexican Pacific coast is going to take its toll sooner or later. Unclear whether they allow any panga longlining in Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Mexico, never have really heard about any, and also haven't heard about fish stocks problems anywhere on that side either. Much as sportfishermen chafe against tight regulations in the US, the bag limits and closed seasons have turned around fish stocks dramatically in so many instances with different species. If they were remotely serious in Mexico about the "sportfish" designation of dorado that is supposed to disallow commercial harvesting, they would ban the sale of dorado as the sale of snook is banned in the United States. But they're not. The bag limits and sportfish designation on your "pesca deportiva" license for marlin, sails, dorado, and roosterfish are a terrible joke.

Northeastfshman likes this.
  11. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I heard that Godzilla ate them all!

Damn Fukushima radiation!!!!!

12. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Continuous over fishing. Loreto used to be one of the best places for Dorado in the world. None around. Same for Punta Chivato. East Cape as well.
    It's the commercial fleet that follows them around and relentlessly takes every fish in the school.
    I hate to say it but the sea of cortez is dying a slow death.
    It's a terrible shame as many of us grew up fishing there. Overfishing and commercialization has had a tremendous impact on the fishery/
    Yes, I understand that there are still some days where the fishing is good, but it pales in comparison to what it used to be.

huxpat and karlk1125 like this.
  13. Juan

Juan Member

Name:
    Juan Munoz
    Boat:
    24' Grady White
    Reports of Dorado at El Banco, there coming down!

14. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Yep Baja is a shell of its former self. PV hasn't seen that decline nearly as much (fishing is much further offshore) so I'm praying the Mexican govt does something before PV suffers the same fate

huxpat likes this.
  15. mrhoneydo

mrhoneydo Member

Name:
    michael willson
    Boat:
    Sea Ray 18" & Grady White 28 Marlin
    If you read the reports from 2005.....you know its too late and already has happend

16. pescadorzih

pescadorzih Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Aquaholic
    Just caught 4 dorado today 15-30# size in Zihuatanejo. They've started picking up a couple a day on the charter fleet.