Where are the area 9 and 10 pictures

ShoreSling_r

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 29, 2010
Seattle
20 pounder, Area 10 about 9am this morning. 5" Wonderbread spoon with a 5/0 Owner siwash. The fish has an illegal treble hook inside the mouth it must have just broken off - no rust on it. Serves the a-hole right to have lost this fish.
IMG_1402.jpg
20200802_095323.jpg

Last edited:

haramachi

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 13, 2015
Seattle
Name
Chris
Boat
Kingfisher
Picked up this buck just south of PNP at about 3PM (late incoming tide) Saturday. Measured just over 33" on the deck, didn't get a weight, but would guess 16-18lb. Was fishing on the bottom at 100', right along the steep upward ridge near shore. AP Tackleworks 3" spoon + green blinky flasher. Meat was interesting, marbled, white interlaced with the pale orange. Beautiful day on the water.
fish.jpg

fish1.jpg

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Picked up this buck just south of PNP at about 3PM (late incoming tide) Saturday. Measured just over 33" on the deck, didn't get a weight, but would guess 16-18lb. Was fishing on the bottom at 100', right along the steep upward ridge near shore. AP Tackleworks 3" spoon + green blinky flasher. Meat was interesting, marbled, white interlaced with the pale orange. Beautiful day on the water. View attachment 1179429

View attachment 1179431
I've got a white one and a marbled one also this year in A10, they look like Fraser River fish, somehow those genetics/feeding patterns or fish are drifting south.

Tish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
Picked up this 29 inch fish in area 10 just after high tide today. 160 feet on the wire in 165 feet of water running a 16lb ball, coho killer. Stomach had a few candlefish and well digested green label herring.

IMG_9093.jpg

Last edited:

haramachi

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 13, 2015
Seattle
Name
Chris
Boat
Kingfisher
Went out this AM with my daughter, started at Jeff Head, nothing doing. Moved over to near Kingston, and the bite improved at about 9. We picked up a decent keeper (no pics, sorry) and then nets started flying around us, and then we had to leave :( All the action was in the circled area on the ebb. Fish we picked up had squid and small herring in it.
1596651943488.png

Reactions: KaiChung and Tish

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Went out this AM with my daughter, started at Jeff Head, nothing doing. Moved over to near Kingston, and the bite improved at about 9. We picked up a decent keeper (no pics, sorry) and then nets started flying around us, and then we had to leave :( All the action was in the circled area on the ebb. Fish we picked up had squid and small herring in it.
View attachment 1180507
congrats on the fish!
mind if i ask depth of bottom and gear? i've been struggling mighty hard in 9/10 this year.

haramachi

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 13, 2015
Seattle
Name
Chris
Boat
Kingfisher
I think we were fishing in 100-110 feet right on the bottom. Blinky flasher and either a 2" cop car spoon or a 3" coyote army truck. Both were getting regular action. So far this summer only small stuff has worked for me, and shallower has been better. Very few bites have come deeper than 125.

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
I am with Eli here. What is going on?!? Sharing x marks the spot intel on the internet... especially on a slow year, you may be inviting all of your internet friends to fish your spot! Nobody owns the ocean or the fish, but it never hurts to let the hordes search around.

Everyone knows the real fishing is up in A7!

Tish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
Hope everyone saw the announcement from wdfw that bag limit has increased to two Chinook, tight lines all!

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
https://wdfw.wa.gov

Date: August 6, 2020
WDFW Fish Program, 360-902-2700

State to increase anglers’ Chinook daily limits in select central Puget Sound Marine Areas

Additional weekend in East Elliot Bay also announced

OLYMPIA – Anglers will have an opportunity to keep one additional Chinook salmon as part of their daily limit in three Puget Sound Marine Areas starting Friday, Aug. 7. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) fishery managers also project enough remaining fish to support another weekend of salmon fishing in East Elliot Bay.

“Our assessments of these fisheries indicate that we have enough harvest quota remaining to make these adjustments.” said Mark Baltzell, WDFW salmon manager. “We’re continuing to monitor returns to ensure fisheries are staying within our conservation constraints.”

Marine Area 9: Anglers can now keep two Chinook as part of the daily limit through Aug. 15. Starting Aug. 16, Chinook fishing will close, but the Area will remain open for hatchery coho.

Marine Area 10: Anglers can now keep two Chinook as part of the daily limit through Aug. 31. Starting Sept. 1, Chinook fishing will close but the Area will remain open for coho.

Marine Area 11: Anglers can now keep two Chinook as part of the daily limit through Sept. 30. Starting Oct.1, Chinook fishing will close but the Area will remain open for coho.

East Elliot Bay: WDFW has scheduled a second weekend of fishing starting Aug. 14 through 12 noon on Monday, Aug. 17. Daily limit of 2 salmon

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Damn guys, this forum is getting soft! I'll be curious how many people shift focus to fish there now
I’d post a random spot we’re I’m not fishing, just to clear the novices out of the area I’m at... radio fish!

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
This seems backwards. The reason for the increased limits seems to be very few chinook are being caught so we're nowhere close to the quota. But that would seem to indicate there are very few chinook are coming through. So, shouldn't that mean the season should close early to protect future returns?

Reactions: Tish

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
This seems backwards. The reason for the increased limits seems to be very few chinook are being caught so we're nowhere close to the quota. But that would seem to indicate there are very few chinook are coming through. So, shouldn't that mean the season should close early to protect future returns?
That's smart management.....poor returns, well lets just let em keep 2....jeez!
You both really have no idea what you are talking about, I would do some research on how our seasons are set, quotas, NOF, return counts, and our "co"-manager policies, before posting.

bifish99

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2006
Washington
Name
Chip goodhue
Boat
22' C-dory
Kaichung makes perfect sense.

Based on 30+ years of fishing PS and seeing what has happened to our summer chinook, winter chinook, coho, and chum, I'd be happy to stop fishing for them at all, with the the hope that one day I'll be able to take my grandson or grandaughter out to catch one....I am not convinced that will happen. Certainly my experience has been that "how our seasons are set, quotas, NOF, return counts, and our "co"-manager policies" have done nothing to stem the waning tide of our salmon runs. Perhaps your experience has differed ledbed6b, if so please elaborate.

Reactions: Tish

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
Two things:
1.) So you think if we don't fish then we are saving fish? Saving the species? The 6000fish A9 quota compared to what our "co"-managers take will save them huh? I like your altruistic optimism. I bet the pinnipeds should be coddled too?
2.) Who said the run is really poor? Total fish counts are up at the chittenden locks and the bubble terminal area this year compared to last. Sure most people aren't catching all that many is that your only evidence of a poor return?

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Two things:
1.) So you think if we don't fish then we are saving fish? Saving the species? The 6000fish A9 quota compared to what our "co"-managers take will save them huh? I like your altruistic optimism. I bet the pinnipeds should be coddled too?
2.) Who said the run is really poor? Total fish counts are up at the chittenden locks and the bubble terminal area this year compared to last. Sure most people aren't catching all that many is that your only evidence of a poor return?
When I say maybe we should close the season early, I mean for our "comanagers" also (realizing that's probably impossible) and taking out a lot of pinnipeds (maybe we can have a harpoon season - I heard seal and sea lions taste like chicken...)

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
One other thing. I just started volunteering at the Issaquah hatchery last year. I would really love to figure out how to scale up in a massive way the hatchery output.

• Love
Reactions: Baby J and Tish