Dexter Outdoors

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Need some clarification. Earlier it was mentioned that fish should be carried, not dragged. Had spine surgery a couple years ago. Can't lift more than about 20lbs. So, pushing carts is out. Bought a 5' hay hook and sort fish...one at a time. But I drag the fish over to the cones. Is that a no-no?

Hey Dan...as long as you're being gentle and careful about it...no problem. I appreciate the fact that you're pitching in and helping out, even with your back problem. Its just that too many times, I've found fish in my pile with half their hide rubbed off by someone carelessly dragging the fish across the pavement.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    O.K. This is the place to have a campfire and sing cum-bi-ah. On the boat we do not need 28 guys in charge. Have a problem, take care of it then, but take it to the right person. Once you find the right group little issues do not become big issues...

O.K. Rant over...

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    O.K. This is the place to have a campfire and sing cum-bi-ah. On the boat we do not need 28 guys in charge. Have a problem, take care of it then, but take it to the right person. Once you find the right group little issues do not become big issues...

O.K. Rant over...

But Bill I have been on trips where the "guy" just doesn't care to get with it and I'm sure so have you.

IMO Long Range fishing is a team sport.....sure you fish hook land your own fish....but if the rest of the folks don't cooperate and don't let you through to follow your fish or cast over your fish or hog the corner landing your fish will be much more difficult if people don't clean up after themselves in the bathrooms or in the galley or are not considerate if they are smokers it becomes a very negative atmosphere......when you spend anywhere from 2 days to 20 days in a confined space like a boat you discover quickly who is "that guy" or "that gal"
    ......the game isn't over till the fish are off loaded and sorted.....if you don't like that then get on a private charter where that is taken care of.

Warrior Princess hit the nail on the head when it comes to women and Long Range fishing......IMO women should make bait and sort fish just like the guys.....I don't expect them to haul heavy stuff or gaff but be part of the team.

Rant over.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    But Bill I have been on trips where the "guy" just doesn't care to get with it and I'm sure so have you.

IMO Long Range fishing is a team sport.....sure you fish hook land your own fish....but if the rest of the folks don't cooperate and don't let you through to follow your fish or cast over your fish or hog the corner landing your fish will be much more difficult if people don't clean up after themselves in the bathrooms or in the galley or are not considerate if they are smokers it becomes a very negative atmosphere......when you spend anywhere from 2 days to 20 days in a confined space like a boat you discover quickly who is "that guy" or "that gal"
    ......the game isn't over till the fish are off loaded and sorted.....if you don't like that then get on a private charter where that is taken care of.

Warrior Princess hit the nail on the head when it comes to women and Long Range fishing......IMO women should make bait and sort fish just like the guys.....I don't expect them to haul heavy stuff or gaff but be part of the team.

Rant over.

That is where items should be addresses at that time. But 28 separate views will have 28 ways to fix a problem. Safety issues first, conduct second. The chartermaster usually fixes most problems but some needs are immediate with safety.

One thing disturbing is not properly handling an issue on the boat, but shark boiling the issue here.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Relacson

@relacson22
    Feb 22, 2006
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Marc
    Boat
    yours
    Younger guy here, don't group us all together please.

I am always willing to do whatever is needed at the end of the trip. I will push carts if needed, sort fish, keep scavengers away etc.

No problem making bait either. It's still fishing and can be a lot of fun!!

As said by others though, it really bothers me when the crew takes such good care of our catch, to watch it get plopped out of carts on to the cement and dragged around. There's nothing wrong with two manning a larger fish if you cannot lift it. For those that only sort, PLEASE take this in to consideration and respect the catch!!!!

Reactions: DMcD
    Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
    Jan 28, 2009
    SoCal and Victoria, BC
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    63 Nordhavn
    ...One thing disturbing is not properly handling an issue on the boat, but shark boiling the issue here.

Discussing it here will help some newer guys know the drill before they get on the boat, and then much of the problem is solved before it happens. Everyone here is a big boy (or girl) and can handle a little conversation. A big reason this board is so active is that there is a lot of good information shared. I include this thread in that category.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    When it comes to sorting fish...
    I'm not talking about the elder statesman who has pushed more carts and drug more fish than I will ever see in my lifetime. (I love you Bob W) I'm speaking of those 20somethings who stand by their cones and watch the rest of us bring fish to them.
    My fish were all red tagged (going to Fisherman's Processing) I still sorted everyone else's fish....guess I'm just old school and used to doing the right thing.

OK......rant over.

Nanette
    WP

I am guessing that they were ignorant of the procedures. Andy on the Rooster explain the docking and fish hauling procedures before coming in. (almost like a tape recorder) Were the procedures discussed beforehand?

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
    Idyllwild, Ca USA
    Name
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat
    None
    When it comes to making bait, captain and crew will tell you that sometimes it's OK and maybe even better not to have the entire compliment of anglers rushing around, waving Sabikis in the air.

Steve: I've never seen this situation...could you explain a little further? What would prompt the crew to do this...over-crowded boat? Nasty, rolling sea state while sitting on the anchor? How do they ensure that enough people show up to make bait, and if more than enough show do they tell a few folks that its OK if they go back down to their bunks?

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Steve: I've never seen this situation...could you explain a little further? What would prompt the crew to do this...over-crowded boat? Nasty, rolling sea state while sitting on the anchor? How do they ensure that enough people show up to make bait, and if more than enough show do they tell a few folks that its OK if they go back down to their bunks?

Many times bait fishing you can have too many people fishing. There are usually a few guys that tangle more than others- maybe from not using enough weight- and it's nice to be able to spread out a little more. Another problem is if you start catching bait some knuckleheads think your spot is better than theirs so they move into it and you have to find another opening each time you drop your bait into the tanks. Or you have to wait in line to drop your bait off and you end up dropping off a piece of two while waiting. I would rather fish bait with only half of the guys fishing for it.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Many times bait fishing you can have too many people fishing. There are usually a few guys that tangle more than others- maybe from not using enough weight- and it's nice to be able to spread out a little more. Another problem is if you start catching bait some knuckleheads think your spot is better than theirs so they move into it and you have to find another opening each time you drop your bait into the tanks. Or you have to wait in line to drop your bait off and you end up dropping off a piece of two while waiting. I would rather fish bait with only half of the guys fishing for it.

What we do is spread out and take turns, rotating the spot. So your buddy fishes, you stand by holding your sabiki until he hooks up and is out of the water. He goes to the tank and you drop in. Heavy torpedo helps minimize tangles. Works best if you know the guys you're fishing with and if the bait is biting good.

Upvote 0

rccalhoun

Jul 30, 2009
    san jose ca
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    none yet
    what if you cant even catch bait? or just catch 1 here or there? is it better to get out the way, but stay on deck to prove you are not slacking.
    lol at me...couldn't catch bait :)

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

Sure, Dennis, no problem. As the other guys, Blaine and Dave addressed it, lots of ways to attack it. We're usually only filling one deck tank with bait so that limits the space we have to work with. Sometimes we'll have a guy on the bow, filling that tank, too. With two guys from the crew shaking the bait off the rigs and two dozen fishermen waiting in line, sometimes the bait will be out of the water for quite a while or fall off the hooks onto the deck. It can get pretty crazy, especially if there's alcohol involved and those hooks are really sharp. Cool calm and collected is the way to go about it.

Like I said before, if you're going to be making bait several nights, be sure not to take every night off. It all depends on when it's going to bite as well. Full moon rises early evening like on my last trip, we made bait two nights. It bit really well for us but shut off early, too. I did best by waiting to eat second call for dinner and fishing bait during first call. That was great, we all got to go to sleep at a reasonable hour. If the moon phase like it is right now with a 1:30 P.M. rise and a 12:30 A.M. set, it involves getting out of your bunk around 1:00 or 2:00 A.M. The crew tries to catch bait on their watch and when it starts to bite, the captain gets on the P.A. to wake you up. Not as pleasant as first call for breakfast, but we gotta have bait. If it works out that everybody is up and at it at the same time, a couple of keys to success are using enough weight to keep the sabikis straight and spread out.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Personally I think if the bait fishing is good, then lets get er done. But it can be a all nighter, tubes at Clarion can be that way. Would work better in shifts but difficult to enforce.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    what if you cant even catch bait? or just catch 1 here or there? is it better to get out the way, but stay on deck to prove you are not slacking.
    lol at me...couldn't catch bait :)

We were at Alijos trying to catch some squid for the kite. I was having a tough time of it, not able to get a single one. Captain fired me. "Steve, you suck at this, go to bed!" :)

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Making bait.... a task on it's own. Once I was so tired I almost fell asleep making bait, finally I couldn't keep my eyes open and had to get some shut eye. I remember trying to make bait at Clarion. The bait bite was great, then the shakes had a field day, pop went the sinker and bait rig. 5 bait rigs and sinkers in one hour. We had to give up. Another time on a 10 day trip many moons ago, the captain would pull up on a spot or squid... only two or three caught the boat was snake bit. Then trying to make some Mackerel, same story, only a few. We just had to give up and hope for the best. Oh, I remember once I slept through the wake up call, I must have been really tired. If someone got me up, I would have been out there. So don't be afraid to wake me up.

As too pushing carts and sorting fish. I agree that those more fit should push the carts and the less fit sort. I have seen those who would not help, just sitting somewhere and doing whatever they are doing. Pushing carts and sorting fish is just part of the process, and we all need to participate and help the best we are able. Even pushing the cart back to the boat is something.

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
    Idyllwild, Ca USA
    Name
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat
    None
    What we do is spread out and take turns, rotating the spot. So your buddy fishes, you stand by holding your sabiki until he hooks up and is out of the water. He goes to the tank and you drop in. Heavy torpedo helps minimize tangles. Works best if you know the guys you're fishing with and if the bait is biting good.

Agree...a heavy torpedo is a must. Cutting a couple of the hooks off the sabiki also helps minimize tangles.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0