Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
IMHO there is pretty much no excuse for not either pushing or sorting at the end of the trip (except for injury or emergency).

And I can't think of ANY excuse for stealing a fish from another angler's pile!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
What is the standard protocol for people who don't sort fish and don't catch bait? We had a few of the latter and one who did neither.

I guess one way to establish that protocol would be to ID the lazy fucker who doesn't push the carts and doesn't sort fish. Once you've decided who the offender is, ask him what his number is.
Then take his cone and put it on top of one of the nearby trash cans and start tossing his fish in there! That might get his attention.

Reactions: stairman and Lake
Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
One of my fellow fishermen came up with a wonderful idea. You know that low spot where the red shirts rinse the carts? Always a puddle there...he said....stack up the young Turks in the puddle...let them get there own fish I just wish Mike would have thought of it sooner....u r my hero.
Last thought about this....
Sisters....you want respect in this male driven industry? Don't play the "Girl Card" If you can catch it... u can drag it. J=U

Nanette
WP

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
One of my fellow fishermen came up with a wonderful idea. You know that low spot where the red shirts rinse the carts? Always a puddle there...he said....stack up the young Turks in the puddle...let them get there own fish I just wish Mike would have thought of it sooner....u r my hero.
Last thought about this....
Sisters....you want respect in this male driven industry? Don't play the "Girl Card" If you can catch it... u can drag it. Jess

Nanette
WP

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I mean I personally would help, but I completely understand if people dont want to and do not partake in the sorting of fish... Theyre on vacation, at the end of the day, arent they?

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
I mean I personally would help, but I completely understand if people dont want to and do not partake in the sorting of fish... Theyre on vacation, at the end of the day, arent they?
don't be that special daisy...everyone on the trip is on vacation, but the job needs to get done...at 68 I still push the cart, and carry the fish...if you are on a trip I'm on and don't, you are going to get seriously embarrassed in front of the whole landing by one old fart I know :D

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Everyone else is one vacation too, by that logic. So no one should sort fish, right? Wrong. When harvesting a fish, you take on the responsibility of caring for that carcass properly. If you are not willing to deal with the carcasses, you should not be keeping fish for yourself.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat

It's kinda like when you take a dump, ya gotta wipe your butt!

With the use of the dockside unloading into the slush bins, I can see a little conflict. But as Nanette said, she used the slush bin processor and still helped sort fish. It's what we do, and can be a way of reliving part of the trip. Just jump in and help out. It's not optional.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
It's kinda like when you take a dump, ya gotta wipe your butt!

With the use of the dockside unloading into the slush bins, I can see a little conflict. But as Nanette said, she used the slush bin processor and still helped sort fish. It's what we do, and can be a way of reliving part of the trip. Just jump in and help out. It's not optional.
bottom line the more help you get the faster it will go, a few times I have picked up guys from
trips and help them sort the fish just to get it done, team effort ..........

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Lol I'm with you guys, definitely agree with you and am not arguing! On my last 4 day most people were just hanging out, i was one of the few helping the sorting of fish... And it wasnt a small catch by any means, over 300 mixed fish! But, i guess I'm just not the type of person to tell people what to do. Its there trip, their money, not mine... I will however always do my part and I'll just always try to help out when I can.
-Aren

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Lol I'm with you guys, definitely agree with you and am not arguing! On my last 4 day most people were just hanging out, i was one of the few helping the sorting of fish... And it wasnt a small catch by any means, over 300 mixed fish! But, i guess I'm just not the type of person to tell people what to do. Its there trip, their money, not mine... I will however always do my part and I'll just always try to help out when I can.
-Aren

You are pretty easy-going guy and maybe at times we should all have some of that attitude.

But as others pointed out: a) every passenger is on vacation and b) even when on vacation, you still must make some expenditure of effort.

Imagine if an angler decided that he was on vacation and therefor did not need to pitch in for that other major task of passengers--making bait. Bet he'd hear about it real quick and real loud, and would receive a far less than hearty welcome if he stepped up to the bait tank to use the bait he so graciously allowed others to catch.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
You are pretty easy-going guy and maybe at times we should all have some of that attitude.

But as others pointed out: a) every passenger is on vacation and b) even when on vacation, you still must make some expenditure of effort.

Imagine if an angler decided that he was on vacation and therefor did not need to pitch in for that other major task of passengers--making bait. Bet he'd hear about it real quick and real loud, and would receive a far less than hearty welcome if he stepped up to the bait tank to use the bait he so graciously allowed others to catch.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
Brad... I think it's all about education. 20 some years ago I didn't know until someone told me what was expected. I was a fast learner. I guess we can't change the the minds and hearts of some of the young bucks out there today...maybe the best we can hope for is to pass on whatever wisdom, knowledge, and experience we've gleaned through the years.

Nanette
WP

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
On my very first trip it was made very clear to me and my friends what was expected and what the routine was. Been pushing carts and moving fish on every trip since then. I'm a younger guy and I don't mind at all. The folks who don't contribute know exactly what they are doing, I'd just rather not associate with them.

-Connor

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Many points well made. I have not been in a situation where I noticed people slacking helping with the pushing / sorting, however on a six day this year there was a situation that no question pissed me off. On day 3 at Benitos, the captain told us he was concerned we would run out of bait 2 days from now. It was about 9:00 at night and we were told to catch a few hours shut eye because we were making a move to Cedros to catch bait. Around 11:30 we were awakened for what was a 2 hour bait making session. Before the trip we were told that making bait is not an option, it's a must do. Anybody that's fished long range knows how exhausted you are at the end of the day. To sleep for a couple hours and get up expecting to do anything is a huge task. 'Zombie' fishing at it's best. Most everybody was asleep on their feet, myself included. Almost everybody helped. Those that chose to sleep thru it were talked about and believe you me, after the dines ran out and we had only Macs left, whenever someone who didn't help reached for a bait they didn't help to make, well, figure it out. Lots of bad feelings. Sure it's your vacation, mine too. I guess my point is.....don't be "that guy", help make bait, it's not an option, it's a must do.
Doug

Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
Need some clarification. Earlier it was mentioned that fish should be carried, not dragged. Had spine surgery a couple years ago. Can't lift more than about 20lbs. So, pushing carts is out. Bought a 5' hay hook and sort fish...one at a time. But I drag the fish over to the cones. Is that a no-no?

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
I guess I'm on the "younger" end of the spectrum on the normal long range trip (I'm 41) but I've been living the last few years with rheumatoid arthritis. I gained a lot of weight from the steroids they gave me at first and trying to adjust being much less active than before. The RA and the weight gain had a direct impact on my rail time on my first and only l.r. trip but even so I still managed to put on some gloves and carry fish. I wasn't as fast as some of the other guys but I put forth an honest effort and I believe that's what most people want, everyone chipping in being a part of it. If I could carry cold fish for half an hour with RA then I believe MOST anyone else able to fish could as well.

Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
So at what age do you retire from the cart scene and graduate to the sorting end of the trip. I'm a cart pusher. But I've always been a blue collar guy

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
So at what age do you retire from the cart scene and graduate to the sorting end of the trip. I'm a cart pusher. But I've always been a blue collar guy

Ha ha! Good question! I've been long ranging for 20 years and have always been a cart pusher....but I'm only 48....for some reason long ranging is one of the few things I do where I am still considered on the younger side.....that's slowly fading away....dammit! I'd rather push all the carts myself than risk injury to some of the REALLY experienced folks I have fished with. The guys that have seen many more birthdays than myself. To me it's about the effort....if you have injuries or your just plain not capable....don't resort to talking on the phone while everyone else is unloading....be present...help keep scavengers away from everyone's fish....get some towels for the guys sorting to wipe the muck off their hands....push an empty cart back down.

On my recent trips so many people are helping that you end up feeling like you're not doing enough! That's how it should always be!

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
All good points Pangamaster.
It's good to see that there are a lot of like minded fishermen out there who have the same thoughts rattling around in their heads when they leave the landing. No matter how good the trip....that last hour leaves a lasting impression. Regardless of your age or gender or physical strength...pitch in, in some way. Seems that maybe there is a breakdown in education of younger anglers...I. don't know. We teach them to tie knots don't we? Maybe we should show them how to use a hand gaff?

Now I don't want to get off on a rant...but. I love this sport, and I've worked really hard to learn to be a pretty good angler. Yes, it's a man's world...and if you truly want to be included girls.....SORT FISH.

Nanette
WP

Last edited:
Reactions: Pangamaster
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
When it comes to making bait, captain and crew will tell you that sometimes it's OK and maybe even better not to have the entire compliment of anglers rushing around, waving Sabikis in the air.

But, if you are going to be making bait several nights in a row, you need to show up for a couple of shifts. And the morning after you didn't help out, be sure to thank the guys who did.

Upvote 0

Baja Rattler

Almost A Member
Jan 10, 2006
N. Cal
Name
John
Boat
Bayrunner
This is what happens when you don't get up to make bait and "that guy" catches a nice fish.
Make bait or get this.jpg

Upvote 0