When to upgrade plotter/transducer

tylas

Dec 25, 2016
Lodi
Name
Ty Laskowski
Boat
2007 282 Grady
I have a 07 gw 282 and I’m still learning more about electronics, I have a older furuno set up . I’m not sure what model, it has some computer looking box underneath, and I have a thru Hull transducer , not sure what model either . I’m assuming it was installed in 06-07. When should I consider upgrading my electronics ? Or should I continue to learn this unit and save about 8k . This unit I have isn’t very user friendly and I have alot of difficulty understanding this unit . The type of fishing we do is typically nor cal
Salmon, albacore bottom fishing but I also tow down to SoCal to fish offshore . Thanks guys and gals !

150CC4F5-54BF-4022-A9DC-00841176AF83.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
How's the radar? I ultimately replaced most of my 2005 electronics because dome radar tech in 2005 was crappy compared to now. Also how is your autopilot. If you are just replacing all the electronics only for sonar which appears to work for you, I'm not sure. If you are also using radar and autopilot from 2005, then I would suggest getting new.

Also depends on how long you want to keep the boat.

tylas
tylas
Radar works like a champ, has a newer simrad auto pilot
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Keep it, thats a higher end commercial unit which is what most sportfishing boats use.

tylas
    tylas
    I want to add a tower with plotter capabilities do you think a newer furuno could link up to the old one?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Mira Mesa
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    not sure how much you rely on sonar for you type of fishing, or how good your equip is. yeah, it's a higher quality unit, but if it aint working, brand and model number doesnt really matter. 15 yrs is long life for electronics. but if working well, and suits your needs, i wouldn't replace it on an older boat like yours. you will have to try it first to find out. hook a big sardine or mac to weight and drop it down. can you see it? can you see bigger jigs when you drop them?

for me, switching over to chirp technology was major improvement, esp for inshore fishing. was like night and day in terms of ability to locate and discriminate diff types of fish. navico (simrad n lawrance) and garmin r my favorite, but they all work. if you switch. i'd go thru hull airmar chirp ducer.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    That was great gear back in the day but honestly, there are $1000 units when paired wiht a chirp transducer that will blow that thing away.

Here's a screen shot from a basic modern system.

bridge_piles__412_bridge__Brad_Wiegmann_Photography.jpg

Plus you will have the ability to network more screens easily, touchscreen ability, digital radar, incorporate an autopilot into your system, and the chartplotter compared to a modern unit is night and day.

If you can afford it, I'd upgrade it. You can get a 12" Screen, transducer, radar and autopilot all for under 10k if you shop wisely. If that's in your budget, you'll be stoked.

Upvote 0